Do you belive in god?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you believe in god?

YES.
48%
Partificially
20%
Nope
32%

Total votes : 44

Postby rachel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:35 pm

sorry if I hunt anyone in my last post
rachel
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Just wondering, Has anyone seen the film: Bruce Allmighty? Because It shows that there are reasons for god not awnsering 'yes' to everyones prayers, and it shows why somethings happen.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby rachel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:19 pm

I seen hafor it
rachel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:42 pm

I believe in God I believe that God created the universe and that he is a loving God, I dont believe that the world just happened. I believe that we are Gods creations. I also believe that God has a purpose for my life.
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby GirlInTheGraniteCity » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:48 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:Just wondering, Has anyone seen the film: Bruce Allmighty? Because It shows that there are reasons for god not awnsering 'yes' to everyones prayers, and it shows why somethings happen.

I love that film!

I'm agnostic so its not that I don't believe in God but I can't be sure he exists. It basically means, I have no idea! I tend to leave religion alone, its a very touchy subject but I have a friend who is a VERY strong christian.

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}

Heyy I'm Caroline, add me on MSN if you like =D Peace out xxxxxx

{{{[[[~~~~~~~~~~<<<<<<<OOOO♥OOOO>>>>>>>~~~~~~~~~~]]]}}}
GirlInTheGraniteCity
Forum Master

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:25 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:Just wondering, Has anyone seen the film: Bruce Allmighty? Because It shows that there are reasons for god not awnsering 'yes' to everyones prayers, and it shows why somethings happen.

Oh my goodness! I love that movie! It's so funny and so heartwarming! I think it is the only Jennifer Aniston movie I like so far. I love how Jim Carrey portrays Bruce and Morgan Freeman plays God. It's a great film with a great message, I agree. :D Also, just as a side note, did you catch Steve Carrell as Evan, the opposing news anchor? He's a rather new celebrity here so I didn't notice the first time I saw it. He's pretty funny. 8) I also like him in Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby invisifish » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:08 pm

im open to anithing. i dont belive in god particualy, i belive that anythng is posivle.
invisifish
Splendiferous Member

Postby C » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:31 pm

parnassus wrote:I don't perceive God as a Santa Claus figure. He does not sit on a cloud and hand down cosmic chocolate from the sky. Some people suffer horribly in their lives - but this is not because God chose it. It's because we chose it.

What about terminal illnesses 'We' do not 'choose' for other's to suffer from them, they just happen. Obviously people do need to die so that the world does not become overcrowded but why make them die in such pain?

Even if 'we' do 'choose' for others to suffer, is that any excuse for God to 'sit by' and watch it happen? And sometimes 'we' do intervene and people still suffer, even with our help.

A lot of you guys seem to be religious so please don't be offended by my remarks. These are just my arguments against God. I myself am not strongly against God, I just don't know whether He exists or not. Sometimes I wish I was one way or another.

I have a question for anyone who's religious, why do you believe God exists? Is it because you have grow up in a religious family? Has one particular experience made you believe? Do you think the evidence points to God's existence? Do you just 'feel' He's out there?
Last edited by C on Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:33 pm

Well, in answer to your questions. I have to do this fast b/c I have a paper to work on, but here:

I did grow up in a religious family. We went to church a lot. I joined a youth group at my church and my youth pastor was kind of the one who led me to becoming a true believer. He was an extreme believer and he didn't like be very preachy about God like others I've come into contact with. I believe He is there because I just have to think that there is someplace better than this earth we live on. I mean, I don't think that all this suffering would happen if there weren't something better at the end. :)

Jamie: I believe, don't you?
Landon: No. I just don't understand. There's too much sh*t that goes on in this world.
Jamie: Without suffering there would be no compassion.

-[url]A Walk to Remember[/url]
I think both Landon and Jamie are right. Landon said that there is a lot of suffering in the world and it really sucks to live in the world. I agree. Jamie said that if we didn't suffer, then there would be no compassion. I have to believe that there is something better out there than this world because of all the suffering.

I hope I have answered some of your questions, C. :D
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Abi-18yr with dispraxia » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:19 am

i am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and i am not ashamed! so i do believe in god. Jehovah God.
Abi
birthday: 10/06/87
Abi-18yr with dispraxia
Advanced Member

Postby Bladen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:36 pm

If or if not god exists it isn't his job to make this world perfect, these things are mankind's problems, it's within their power to sort out. He can't sort every little thing wrong on the planet. I choose not to believe in a god but that doesn't mean he may not exist. Like I say about many things like this, it's impossible.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:26 am

What about terminal illnesses 'We' do not 'choose' for other's to suffer from them, they just happen. Obviously people do need to die so that the world does not become overcrowded but why make them die in such pain?

Thinkers of different religious traditions have grappled with this idea for centuries. One of the best books on the subject that I have come across is The Problem of Pain C.S. Lewis.

Some Jewish/Christian theology has it that death and illness were unleashed on the world by the actions of the first human beings, who violated their free will and made evil choices - choices symbolised by the story of the apple in Eden. "The wages of sin is death." (Romans.) Your body can't live for eternity if your soul is withered and corrupt - what kind of eternal life would that be?

Paradoxically, in much religious thought it is suffering that has united us God. As Shanna said, without suffering there could be no compassion. We need to learn to love and cherish each other if we are ever to become the people we are truly called to be. Suffering can act as a refining fire, changing our priorities and altering the way we perceive the world. I don't know if you've ever read Susan Coolidge's novel What Katy Did. The semi-paralysed Katy and the long-term invalid Cousin Helen talk about pain being their first teacher - who will eventually be succeeded by a second teacher, Love, when they graduate from Pain's classroom.

For Christians, our understanding of suffering is enhanced by the belief that God loves us so much that He clothed himself in flesh and came down to earth to suffer and die for us. He took on the logical consequences of our sin. As a Roman Catholic, I have a different notion of time - we believe that we are really present at Calvary whenever Mass is said, transported back in time to stand in front of a dying man. He is so close, not separated by a gulf of thousands of years. He understands us. He knows what it is like to feel pain of all varieties. Consequently no one can suffer alone, whether they realise it or not.

Even if 'we' do 'choose' for others to suffer, is that any excuse for God to 'sit by' and watch it happen? And sometimes 'we' do intervene and people still suffer, even with our help.

One of my Oxford friends was recently telling me about a nun who came to speak at his college chapel. She is in charge of a hospice where children come to die. My friend wrote, "She brought us all near tears...tore at our souls in unimaginably painful ways. I wonder how she ever coped." Yet this nun lives in hope. She's a small oasis of peace and comfort in an otherwise comfortless situation. Those children are still going to die. Nothing she does can change that. This is where we remember the story of Veronica, the woman who stepped out of the crowd to wipe the blood and sweat from Jesus' face as He toiled up the hill to His death. Such a little thing to do. Jesus still died in near-unbearable anguish. It didn't change anything. Yet it changed so much.

When you are going through unbearable pain, every small gesture of mercy takes on greater significance. To give an oversimplified example, I can remember having a really rough day at boarding school. I was horribly homesick and I wanted to curl up in a corner and read...but instead I had to do adventurous training, one of my least favourite activities. It was November. I had lost my uniform jumper and I was shivering in a thin cotton shirt. One of the sixth-formers supervising the event took of his own jumper and gave it to me, along with a small chocolate bar. Although I still remember the acute homesickness of that day, that one small act of kindness holds a much greater place in my memory. Likewise, when my Grandma was lying in intensive care after undergoing dangerous surgery on her aorta, I hurried into the room (aged nine) and took her hand. After she was released from the hospital (the doctors were amazed that she had survived), she often talked about the feel of my hand in hers. If I asked her, "Did your operation hurt, Grandma?" she would give a sentence to the pain and then focus on the way I had come to her when she was feeling exhausted and ill.

This is the way our minds work. This is the way God acts. He is present in every act of hope and mercy. Although we have free will - a cruel blessing - He is always there to comfort us. He never just 'sits by'. And in Christian thought, He was the first to weep.

A lot of you guys seem to be religious so please don't be offended by my remarks. These are just my arguments against God. I myself am not strongly against God, I just don't know whether He exists or not. Sometimes I wish I was one way or another.

I am not offended at all, but I would take care not to use phrases like 'arguments against God' or 'I am not strongly against God'. That makes Him sound like a political party.

I have a question for anyone who's religious, why do you believe God exists? Is it because you have grow up in a religious family? Has one particular experience made you believe? Do you think the evidence points to God's existence? Do you just 'feel' He's out there?

My parents are not particularly religious. My belief in God originated primarily from my experiences and study. I will continue answering this question later, as I have to go now (aptly enough, to a meeting of the committee at the Catholic Chaplaincy!).
Last edited by parnassus on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Alice » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:36 pm

I can only think of reasons why God doesnt exist. But i feel something that just tells me he does. I'm not talking about intuition, it's something even more powerful, but I don't think It's faith, it doesn't make me act differently and it isn't allways there, it's hard to explain. Does anyone else have the same weird feeling either way?
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:12 pm

Alice, to answer your question, I can't say I've ever felt that way myself. There have been times in the past when I have had an intuition that God exists but there are also times when I have had an intuition that He does not exists, hense I am still unsure.

parnassus wrote:

I am not offended at all, but I would take care not to use phrases like 'arguments against God' or 'I am not strongly against God'. That makes Him sound like a political party.

Yes, I see what you mean, Vicky. I will try not to use phrases like the two you mentioned again.

I have another question, one that also bugs me when thinking about the existence of God. When good people die, they go to heaven. When bad people die, where do they go? If they go to heaven to, do they deserve to go to heaven after the terrible things they have done? If they go to hell, should God, being good, not forgive them their sins? Where do they go? And why? I am just curious as to what people think
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:52 am

With the amount of times I've said "God dammit" or taken the word "god" in vain I should of been smited and incinerated by now. Frankly I don't care if it's wrong or right not to believe in a god, I do things my own way and believe in what ever the hell I want. Science and logic is my way to go and if everything come crashing down I find a new way to go.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum