Is ADHD being overdiagnosed....and are their drugs being ove

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

is it?

YES
85%
NO
15%

Total votes : 13

Postby carebear15 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 am

Quit using ritalin as a example. That makes me mad when people use that as a example. In the usa, there is cough meds that get abused and now the pharmacy has them behind the counter.
I was diagnosed correctly and it was professionally from the physiatrist , and I have had these problems my whole life. I was diagnosed at 16 years old. About time i was diagnosed. It has caused me alot of problems in school and at home and everywhere. I think that some people that say i know what i have and we can try to play doctor but we ain't no doctor. We should respect doctors and not talk bad about them. Where is your phd? If you ain't got one for doctor and then you can't diagnosed and say that person has this or that. By the way I write good and you can read my writing and i don't know what others with dyspraxia writing is like but I know that I do have sensory issues. But i am looking for books on that so i can learn ways how to deal and cope with this. My grandpa said that i fight my adhd. My cousin has adhd also but he doesn't fight it and he uses it as a excuse. But it is not a excuse .
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Ross Millar » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Excelent point carebear15! You are right we are not doctors or psychologists. This is a common debate but im sure the medical professionals look at everything before making a dicision on wether to prescribe drugs and which ones to prescribe. Its difficult to say wether the drugs are being over perscribed as we are not really in a position 2 say either way. There was some news reports a few nights ago on this very issue.
Ross Millar
Super Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:55 pm

Ross Millar wrote:Excelent point carebear15! You are right we are not doctors or psychologists. This is a common debate but im sure the medical professionals look at everything before making a dicision on wether to prescribe drugs and which ones to prescribe. Its difficult to say wether the drugs are being over perscribed as we are not really in a position 2 say either way. There was some news reports a few nights ago on this very issue.

I agree. Not every doctor, teacher, and parent misdiagnoses a kid for ADHD and we should not point a finger and say that they have all done a bad job and misdiagnosed. Sorry for the runon sentence. :( Every kid is different and therefore every case must be evaluated very carefully. I think that the doctors are probably trying their best to find out what is going on with the kid just like most parents and most teachers are. 8) I am not sure if they should be diagnosed so young as five though because a lot of kids are hyperactive at that age and it is so hard to tell. I know someone who is sort of hyper sometimes, but she does not have adhd so it is very hard to tell sometimes.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Debate Forum