DaVinci Debate

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

In the Davinci Code, it states that Mary Magdelene and Jesus got married and had kids. Do you believe this to be true? Explain why you chose your answer.

Yes, I believe it to be true.
9%
No, I believe it is NOT true, even if I think it was possible, I do not believe it.
59%
I don't know.
32%

Total votes : 22

DaVinci Debate

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat May 20, 2006 6:42 am

A thread for the heated debate about the DaVinci Code movie. I have been on other sites where people have gotten into very heated arguments over this. I don't intend it to become like those arguments so please be nice and try not to force your religious views on anyone. Please answer the poll and then write why you answered in that way. I answered No because I believe that Mary Magdelene and Jesus never got married and I believe that part of the story of The DaVinci Code is pure fiction. I am a Christian and I have never believed that to be true. I suppose it is possible, but I don't think it ever happened.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Sat May 20, 2006 10:09 am

Can you explain the actual plot please? =]
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Sat May 20, 2006 10:19 am

i havent read the book whos Mary Magdelene ?
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Sat May 20, 2006 10:31 am

She found Jesus in the tomb didnt she? In the Garden?
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Sat May 20, 2006 3:20 pm

According to Christian teaching, Mary Magdalene was one of Jesus' best friends and closest followers. Legend has it that she was a prostitute before she accepted Jesus' teaching, but this is unlikely to be true - some historians and theologians have confused her with the 'woman with the alabaster jar' who poured costly ointment over Jesus' feet and wiped them clean with her tears and hair as a gesture of repentence. But it is definite that Mary of Magdala certainly wasn't the holiest woman in town before Jesus came along. As Daisy said, she was the one who found the empty tomb and encountered the living Jesus after the Resurrection.

I do not particularly like these poll options. I ticked the central one, but unlike Shanna I don't even believe that The Da Vinci Code's claims are even possible. The novel is riddled with basic historical and theological mistakes. For instance, Brown bases the idea that Mary Magdalene was Jesus' wife on a sentence taken from the Gospel of Thomas, in which Mary is described by an Aramaic word that could mean 'friend' but also means 'lover'. The problem? The Gospel of Thomas wasn't written in Aramaic. It was originally a Hebrew document. So I don't know where Brown got that one from.

Sir Lea Teabing, a character in Brown's novel, also drafts in the Gospel of Philip to support the idea that Mary and Jesus were married:

As for the Wisdom who is called "the barren," she is the mother of the angels. And the companion of the [...] Mary Magdalene. [...] loved her more than all the disciples, and used to [...] often on [...] mouth. The rest of the disciples [...]. They said to him "Why do you love her more than all of us?" The Savior answered and said to them,"Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees are both together in darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness."

[...] indicates a gap or a stain in the parchment, where the writing is unreadable. Revisionist historians have filled in the gaprs with, "Jesus loved her more than all the disciples, and used to kiss her often on her mouth." As you can see here, Philip starts off by referring to Wisdom and using the female pronoun 'she' to describe it. So the rest of the paragraph could be easily be describing a philosophy. ('Philosophy' literally means 'love of wisdom'.) This makes some sense given the final three sentences, but the whole paragraph remains densely oblique - there is no way of knowing what those missing words say, or what the implications are.

Another nest of mistakes made by Dan Brown:

He frequently refers to the members of Opus Dei as 'monks'. Opus Dei does not have monks. There has never been such a thing in existence as an Opus Dei monk. Opus Dei members wear ordinary clothes and do ordinary work.

He frequently describes Opus Dei as a 'cult' or a secret society whose primary purpose is to assassinate people the Pope doesn't like. It is neither. It is a lawful group working within the wider Church. Its members are ordinary people, not assassins.

Go to www.opusdei.org for more information.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Goldenhamster » Sat May 20, 2006 9:03 pm

The Da Vinci code was written as a story loosely based on history. It is not intended to be believed as evidence.

As a Christian I feel neither offended nor threatened by it as the Bible IS intended as believable truth and not as a story like the Da Vinci Code and I know which one I would rather base my assumptions on.

I hope that readers will realise that while the Da Vinci Code is a very interesting and popular book it is just a story, but this viewpoint does not deduct anything from it as it can be read and enjoyed as a story.

However if anyone is interested in biblical backround I would advise that they find a historical analysis of the bible which is intended to be read as such so that they can get an accurate perception.

However I understand that such books are sometimes totally inacessible even to enthusiastic readers. Wouldn't it be interesting if some one wrote an easy to read guide to biblical history? It wouldn't be everyone's idea of interest but I would read it.
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sun May 21, 2006 2:44 pm

Goldenhamster wrote: The Da Vinci code was written as a story loosely based on history. It is not intended to be believed as evidence.

As a Christian I feel neither offended nor threatened by it as the Bible IS intended as believable truth and not as a story like the Da Vinci Code and I know which one I would rather base my assumptions on.

I hope that readers will realise that while the Da Vinci Code is a very interesting and popular book it is just a story,

I agree.

My friend also thinks it's just a story, and I was once having a debate (NOT an argument or a fight) with my best friend because she thourght the book was real (this was ages ago. before the film).
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sun May 21, 2006 4:02 pm

If there was a jesus than yes i do believe he may have had kids. what man go his whole life without doing it. its enevatible. for a miniute i thought this was gonna be about the davinci code being true or not
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun May 21, 2006 4:50 pm

I don't really think he had kids. I kind of changed my mind. Don't believe the book to be true. It's just a different take on art/history like Girl With the Pearl Earring. The reason people are getting so upset is because they take the book as being anti-Catholic/anti-Christian. Personally, I don't think that the book was meant to be an anti-Catholic book, it just was meant to maybe state an opinion about the Catholic Church. There are a lot of books that state opinions against some kind of organization and you don't have to take offense, in my opinion just because someone says something about your organization.

I think I need to grow stronger in my faith since it seems I have been wavering a lot on this issue.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun May 21, 2006 4:51 pm

Sorry about the poll, Vicky. You're right. It kinda sucks. I don't know how to change it though...
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Mon May 22, 2006 8:50 am

You can change the poll by editing your first post, and changing the options at the bottom. It will keep the results for that option though.

As for the Da Vinci Code, it was a great murder mystery. Does that mean I believe it was true? Mostly no. There were a few facts in there that were correct, but most of it was wide off the mark. If you're interested, read "Truth and Fiction in the Da Vinci Code". It's written by a historian :)
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon May 22, 2006 10:10 am

what man go his whole life without doing it.

There are thousands. Buddhist monks, Hindu sadhus (holy men), and monks, priests, and consecrated laypeople from the various Christian traditions. (Consecrated laypeople are ordinary men and women who have decided to take a vow of chastity but who continue to live in their own houses and continue with their own jobs, rather than going to a monastery.)

I once went to a monastery on a church event. It was enclosed, meaning that the monks never leave it unless they are forced by health problems or practical needs (such as house repairs). One of the men there, Brother Harry, was eighty-four years old. He'd joined the monastery at the age of seventeen and he'd only set foot outside its gardens seven times in the sixty-seven years he had lived there. Impossible as it may sound, it is achievable. :)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:41 pm

Wow. People who do that must be pretty devoted. 8) Can't wait to see the Code!! :D :D :D :D I didn't see it this weekend b/c I don't have a car and because it would have been way too crowded, I think. It was number one at the box office for this weekend here.

Another question: I talked to my dad last night and we were talking about the DaVinci Code and he brought up the fact that the Bible was written by humans (and humans decided what books should be in it). This is kind of our reasoning for questioning some aspects of the Bible (not the Crucifixion, death, birth, burial, and ressurection, but other things). Do you think the Bible is "the whole truth and nothing but the truth" or since it was written and the books put in it were decided on by humans, is it subject to having errors?

Since it is written by humans I think it might have some human error in it. So therefore, maybe someone did leave out some parts that could or could not be true about Jesus and Mary Magdelene. I'm not saying I believe that to be true, but it could be possible. I mean there were hundreds, maybe even thousands of gospels that were not published, the most famous being the Gospel of Thomas.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:44 pm

I tried to edit it, but i couldn't find my options at the bottom. :?
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Tue May 23, 2006 11:03 am

all dan brown has done is bring conspiracies into a story so peaple dont get bored. the conspiracies may be true but the story isnt. its just a way of explaining conspiracies.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum