Rent control-- your thoughts and feelings

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby towildhoney » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:45 pm

In England there is no rent control policy but rather provision of social housing and support for people to buy there own housing through goverment subsidy in the form of the right to but and would key sector worker housing. I think rent control is a bad idea. Unfortunately goverment does tend to be awful at providing housing (My friends from former Eastern block would endorse the architectural horor communism was. I belive that the best think to do is have really high protection of tenants and landlords with an offical register to avoid people living in slummy housing. Also to manipulate planning to meet supply and demand. Though to be fair in England the vast majority of what I would describe as substandard housing is provided by local goverment either directly or through housing associations and there approved private land lords. Though I would like to assure the US citizens here that there governmet is capabale of providing excelent hpusing there 2nd world war forces housing is some of the only housing on an estate near me that does not need to be pulled down.
towildhoney
Forum Master

Postby happy_go_lucky » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:06 pm

just want to say the former eastern block was not communist
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Postby Ross Millar » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Government legislation have never really worked in the past. In the U.K in the late 80's early 90's introduced something called the poll tax or community charge scheme. Everone paid the same rate of council tax regardless of income. The more adults living together the more tax they paid per household. This failed, people rioted and the prime minister was sacked!

The former eastern (soviet) bloc was communist (might not be through choice tho). Each of the states formed the United Soviet States of Russia.
After civil unreast in the lituanian terrtories of the USSR and other states brought about change in the divided German state bringing the symbol of end to European Communism, the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989.
Ross Millar
Super Poster

Postby happy_go_lucky » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:01 pm

thats not true the former eastern block was not communist they followed a system of pland economy true however it was a capitalist planned economy with the original burgoise being removed for a burocratic class to take its place this burocratic class where in control of the means of production and formed a new burgoise so the soviet block was a capitalist totalitarian planned economy totalitarian as it formed a police state
happy_go_lucky
Super Poster

Previous

Return to Debate Forum