ADD/ADHD medicine

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Are you takeing medication for ADD or ADHD if not would you if offered them by your doctor

Taking medicine
20%
Not on medication would take if offered it
10%
Not on medication would not want to take if offered it
10%
Dont have ADD/ADHD would take if i did
20%
Dont have ADD/ADHD would not take if i did
10%
Other
20%
Dont know
10%

Total votes : 10

ADD/ADHD medicine

Postby greggy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:55 pm

this is aimed more at those of us with ADD or ADHD but others can put what they would do if they had it.

no i think if the doctors recomended it for me i wouldnt wont to take it
Dyspraxia might restrict some of my capabilitys

But it also heightens my awareness :)
greggy
Advanced Member

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:21 pm

I have ADD, and I'd be keen to atleast try medication, to see if it helps me at all.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:26 am

Can someone explain to meee... What's the difference between ADD and AD/HD? Thankss x
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby greggy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:30 am

ADD is atention deficit disorder
ADHD is atention deficit hyperactivity disorder

the diference is one is hyperactive
Dyspraxia might restrict some of my capabilitys

But it also heightens my awareness :)
greggy
Advanced Member

Postby kitty_cute » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:31 am

Ooh yuuhh okay thanks =]
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Greggy hit the nail on the head, ADD basically mainly affects your attention span, my friend has it quite bad, and is on Ritalin for it. But ADHD is the same but hyperactive too, my cousin has that, Jar could probrably explain this further, but he is very hyper sometimes, so he also takes Ritalin, but he's really naughty and in his own world a lot. And defiant.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carebear15 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:49 pm

Add is when it effects your attention span, and you have a short attention span and example is drifting off iin your own world, you are quiet, but it is those kids that teachers might not know that they are not paying attention. But They can look at the teacher and look like they are paying attention but drift off and not hear what the teacher is saying. You can be bored easily,

Adhd is what i have, it is when you are hyperactive and you get in trouble all the time and you can't keep yourself out of trouble. You drift off in your own world, and start laughing at something that is in your mind and people think why is that person laughing about, they have no clue what we are thinking and also impulsive, talk non stop and or talk too much. Say off the wall stuff,bored easily,run around the room and jump on the chairs and use the classroom as a playground. THey are so wild, and can't calm their self down.
you act as you are driven like a motor and It can be like you are a engerizer bunny. Your brain is out of control and you have a alot of information coming in your head and it is mixed up and your brain has a million thoughts all at once and does not slow down , you brain is on fast forward and you are so distracted from it all. You are easily distracted.
Say whatever you are thinking even if it gets you in trouble. You don't think before you speak. You are disruptive,. You can't sit still;. You fidget and squirm and you can have temper trantrums, You are disorganized, you can't organize things, you have trouble with paying attention,following directions,talking when others are talking,being rude,listening to the teacher,,disrupting the teacher when they are talking, and it makes them lose out of teaching their class and because they have to stop and correct you and discipline the student,, the class suffers and they lose out on class instruction because of one student that is disrupting and being disobedient. When the teacher tries to discipline them they do whatever they want to do and it is hard to get anything through to them and The teacher says stop and they will stop for alittle while and then start over again and teacher has to repeating to discipline the student, act out and getting attention they might want but they are getting the negative attention. Each person is different. They might act on impulsive thoughts and do something that can be dangerous like go and play in the retention pond, and put feet in the water. Do things that can get them hurt or injured. They might say that they will be good but do the opposite. They do want to be good and not get in trouble , but they have trouble with their behavior.

Some might blame their medicine the medicine did it and it made me do it. or they say i can't help it, i have adhd, that is what my counsin did alot. My counsin has adhd.

Adhd is not a excuse to get out of doing something and meds are not a crutch to blame for bad behavior.

I have adhd and it is combined type and it is a mild case but i am on medicine and i am on ritalin and doing good. I don't use it as a excuse. I fight my adhd.

ADD is attention deficit disorder and without hyperactive
ADHD is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:24 pm

I have ADD. I should take medicine but I don't. I do get bored extremely easily and stuff but I just don't like taking the medicine.
Alex

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:35 pm

Alex wrote:I have ADD. I should take medicine but I don't. I do get bored extremely easily and stuff but I just don't like taking the medicine.

lol, agreed. Alex looks at me playing games, I load up the menu, and then quit, my attention span is kinda low, but so is his. His is lower tbh. =P
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alex » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:54 pm

Dan wrote:
Alex wrote:I have ADD. I should take medicine but I don't. I do get bored extremely easily and stuff but I just don't like taking the medicine.

lol, agreed. Alex looks at me playing games, I load up the menu, and then quit, my attention span is kinda low, but so is his. His is lower tbh. =P

Lol, at least I play the game for 5 minutes before getting bored.
Alex

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:12 pm

Alex wrote:
Dan wrote:

Lol, at least I play the game for 5 minutes before getting bored.

I see what you did thar.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:12 am

Interesting discussion I will post in depth tomorrow or sunday. I ticked the take meds option....... complex though

I was dx with ADHD in 1997 when I was 15 put on meds which I took till I was 18 (2000) got taken off them because 'you are a adult and adults can't have ADHD!' fast forward to July 2001 (nearly 19) and admitted to a Theraputic Community, had words iwth the consultant put back on meds till the end of my admission (January 2002) my home psych team have even now the opinion 'your an adult you don't have ADHD' despite the fact I went private in November 2003 for a adult dx and got it, didn't get back on meds which was crud........ then fast forward to 3 months ago and I decide to do something about my weight (I am majorly overweight) and I found some meds that I thought would help, they do they are fab, side effect is my ADHD is under control again, I checked online and research is being done about them and ADHD.. so in short, I am on meds but my care team don't aprove but jsut agree as they have no choice.......

I DON'T APROVE OF SELF MEDICATING SO PLEASE DONT DO A ME!

but yeah the question was asked so that is the short answer
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum