Do you vote? If you do, do you think your vote has counted?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you vote? If you do, do you think your vote counts?

Yes, I vote and I think that my vote does count.
40%
Yes, I vote and I do NOT think that my vote counts.
No votes
No, I do NOT vote and I DO NOT think my vote counts.
No votes
No, I do not vote.
No votes
No, I CANNOT vote because I'm too young or other reason
53%
Yes, I vote and I think that my vote DOES COUNT only SOMETIMES.
7%

Total votes : 15

Do you vote? If you do, do you think your vote has counted?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:57 pm

I vote because I think that by voting I am helping to make something better. Though I believe people should vote, I think that sometimes it can be discouraging when the people you want don't get elected-especially when the election is quite close as our American ones have been recently. I voted for Kerry and I was quite upset after he lost. I thought, well maybe my vote didn't count. I also began to think this after I found out that the Bush administration changed some people's votes in Ohio from what they were originally. Ohio is a swing state because it has about the same amount of people who vote right-wing (Republican) as left (Democrat). Last election, Ohio was the state in which Bush's win was decided. I know some people here in the U.S. feel that because of this "changing of votes" their vote does not count. I say that I am still skeptical about voting because there is sometimes vote changing. However, I think it is still important to vote since whoever wins the election will be leading my country and will be our ambassador to the world.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:07 am

when talking about votes you only see the american side only one i know for changing votes and cheating is america, some so called land of the free you got there. im not old enough to vote yet next year i will be glee. im a very political personand i get pissed off at peaple who dont vote and then think they have a right to complain about the goverment lthough i let it off if there are no good candidates. when i can vote im voting green party. there the only ones i can see any trust in conservatives are butt wipes labour our lying morons sheep lib dem i kind of like but some of what happens with them turns me off, the BNP re just neo nais in a new uniform and the raving loony party is no more so ill go with green party.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:34 am

intowiz wrote:when talking about votes you only see the american side only one i know for changing votes and cheating is america, some so called land of the free you got there. im a very political personand i get pissed off at peaple who dont vote and then think they have a right to complain about the goverment lthough i let it off if there are no good candidates.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you are making a generalized statement about America and I just want to point out that Americans aren't all cheaters. I don't like many of the things about my country, but there are many good things I do like. A lot of the people I know here are helping others by doing Habitat for Humanity. A lot of people do missions or they help others in times of crisis. There are brave people in my country and there are people who are nice. There are also those who are mean and those who give us a bad name (like our leader right now).

The same kinds of people live in other countries. There are the good folks and the bad ones, the ones who would do anything to help others and the ones who are just out there for themselves.

Overall, I think America could use a lot of changes and the only way we can have these changes is to vote. I don't like people who don't vote and then complain about the governement's policies either. People should vote because it is important for change to happen.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:39 am

P.S. What's voting like where you all live?
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:00 am

its fine hwere i live. sorry i didnt mean to make a big genaralisation its just that (and no offence to you yourself) america pisses me off, your leader is an idiot fascist, its driven into kids from when there young that america is the best country ever and is the only real country. saying that though ive been to florida twice and americans are certanly cheerful. i havnt been back since Bush's last term so i hope he hasnt fucked the place up to bad. i mean hes bankruppped the country. i hate your gun laws, when will you all realise get rid of the damned guns.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:27 pm

Yeah, but it's also worth remembering that we voted Tony Baloney in. Does this make the British public any wiser - I think not. :? :( :?

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:34 pm

I am old enough to vote. I haven't had the chance to vote yet because there hasn't been an election since I turned 18.

I will vote when I get the chance. Even if my vote doesn't make a difference, it is important to try to make the world a better place at every possible opportunity. Voting is just one such opportunity.

I'm not sure who i'l, vote for, though. I have a low opinion of all three major parties, the Greens aren't fielding a candidate in our area and I''d rather rip out my own spleen, fry it in garlic butter and eat it than cast my vote for the BNP.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby intowiz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:33 pm

like i said the bnp are neo nazis in a new uniform
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:57 pm

I vote and I believe that my vote has significance. For the local elections, in which you choose a Member of Parliament for your area, I voted for the Liberal Democrats. I disagree with some LibDem policies and I doubt they have the strength to form a national government, but on a local level they function very well. Our LibDem MP has done a lot for the locality and I trust her.

When it came to the General Election, I was torn. Like Esther, I can't wholeheartedly support any of the three major parties. Ultimately I voted Labour. At the time I felt that was the only reasonable option. I doubt whether I would do the same thing if the election were tomorrow, but at the time there seemed to be little choice.

These are the people I'd really like to see in government:

www.omrlp.com
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Lucy_Rush » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:12 pm

I vote. And i think it's important to vote, and that your vote is counted. Whilst 1 vote may not make an awfull amount of difference, it still impacts the outcome.
Lucy_Rush
Forum Master

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:03 pm

The Monster Raving Loony party just can't stand up to the Church of Militant Elvis, Vicky! Here is their manifesto:

In the unlikely event of fanatical anti-European Mr. Kilroy-Silk becoming M.P. the party would like to know if he will sell his second home in Spain and buy one in Cotmanhay so he can be nearer his constituents.

Our candidate isn't too keen on foxhunting but loves "Blair-baiting" and will give this vibrant pastime his full support.

When elected our candidate will present Mr. Blair with an Oscar for his marvelous performance as a sincere politician in "Carry on Lying" (2005) which the party considers even better than Sir Laurence Olivier's role as warrior-king in "Henry V" (1945) and nearly as good as Elvis's role as an Arab sheik in "Harum Scarum" (1965).

In order to discourage undesirable foreigners from entering Britain i.e. the Russian Mafia, Rupert Murdoch, &c., our candidate would like to see the terminals around Heathrow and Gatwick plastered with giant photos of Britain's leading celebs i.e. Kilroy, Johnny Vegas, Graham Norton, Ant & Dec, and mega-moron Chris Evans. The sight of this lot should be enough to deter the most hardened criminal.

Our candidate is fed up with seeing drunken young women exposing their fat backsides to all and sundry. When elected he will attack without mercy Labour's new drinking laws, which will only lead to more of these horrible sights.

When elected our candidate will do all he can to save the good old English red squirrel from being wiped out by its more aggressive American grey cousin. A bit like our culture really. Eg. "Trick or Treat" has now replaced Halloween.

Elvis liked pets. He was, however rich enough to pay for their welfare. When elected our candidate will press for a public inquiry into British vet's fees, the highest in Europe.

Michael Howard, leader of the Tories says he is not racist. Well Lord Biro is! His wife left him for a Welshman and he could never vote for a party led by one of these smooth-tongued daffodil-waving Casanovas. Elect our candidate and sleep easier in your bed.

Elvis was addicted to junk food and we all know what it did to him! When elected our candidate will do all he can to stop the advertising of junk food in schools, colleges and hospitals. He thinks it's disgraceful that sports stars like David Beckham endorse such products and would like to see him put in the stocks & pelted with mouldy cheeseburgers.

When elected our M.P. would like to go the Antarctic, stand in front of the ice bergs and shout "Stop Melting You Big White Bastards". It won't do much good but it's more than Bush & Blair are doing - Vote Lord Biro!

In the 1997 election our candidate stood against Neil Hamilton and his awful wife Christine at Tatton. When elected he will use the expertise he gained opposing this pair of freeloaders to attack any politician attempting to clamber aboard the gravy train e.g. numerous trips abroad, lavish expenses etc.

When elected our candidate would like to see stiffer legislation brought in to stop the selling off of playing fields & parks to stores such as IKEA, where moronic adults engage in fisticuffs over the purchase of cheap furniture to fuel their consumerist lifestyles.

When elected our M.P. will ask the Princess Consort, Mrs. Park-Yer-Balls, to appoint defeated candidate Mr. Kilroy-Silk, "Keeper of the Royal Stool", (wiping Charlie's backside) - Vote Lord Biro.

On a serious note,what do people think about preportional representation?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Kentigern » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:52 pm

I have serious problems with the Lib Dems and Green Party. While I agree whole heartedly with them about the need to protect the environment, a lot of their other policies really scare me.

I have serious problems with the way Labour has conducted itself in Government. They have done some very good things, however they have made many mistakes. They have also been in power for too long and thus have gone stale. I think we need a new fresh government.

I am uncomfortable with some Conservative Policy, especially under the new Leader David Cameron, however I would be inclined to vote Conservative as I know there are people in there who care about the family. The complete breakdown in trqaditional family life is the biggest crisis facing Britain today, almost as serious as the environment.

Locally I would be tempted to vote Lib Dems. Lib Dem councils tend to be competent, organised, and have good ideas. I don't want them in government though.

Proportional Representation is something that is needed in the UK. The Labour Government could at the moment win a General election, possibly with a majority, but have recieved less votes than the Conservative party.

I am a big proponent of the Scottish List system. In the Scottish parliament each constituency elects it's own MSP. There is then a second vote, where you vote for a list MSP. A list MSP represents a region, which is an amalgamation of lots of constituencies. In Scotland there are something like 6 regions, with 6 MSPs apiece. Such a system is fairer and better reflects the will of the people.

One issue with Proportional Representation is that it makes a hung parliament far more likely. Indeed this happened in Scotland, and Labour (the party with most votes) had to go into coalition with the Lib Dems to form a majority administration. In Wales at the moment Labour form a minortiy administration - they are one seat short of a majority.

I think coalitions and minority administrations are on the whole good. To get things through parliament it means that parties have to work with each other and compromise, this means that a lot more thought goes into legislation. The big problem with the current Labour administration is that they are in the position where they can to a certain extent get away without thinking legislation through as carefuly as they might do because they know they have a large enough majority to force it through.

The recent debate about Faith Schools shows my point. The Labour Government wanted to force faith schools to admit 25% of their pupils from outside their faith. Had this been passed we would have quickly found opurselves in the position where for an example a Catholic School would be turning away Catholics wanting a Catholic education so that the school could meet this 25% quota. Catholics would have been deprived of an education in their own faith. The government don't seem to have realised this, thankfuly they consulted with Faith Leaders and were disuaded.
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:07 pm

intowiz wrote:its fine hwere i live. sorry i didnt mean to make a big genaralisation its just that (and no offence to you yourself) america pisses me off, your leader is an idiot fascist, its driven into kids from when there young that america is the best country ever and is the only real country. saying that though ive been to florida twice and americans are certanly cheerful. i havnt been back since Bush's last term so i hope he hasnt fucked the place up to bad. i mean hes bankruppped the country. i hate your gun laws, when will you all realise get rid of the damned guns.

Yeah, I really hate Bush too. I'm glad it's his last term because he friggin lied to us about those "Weapons of mass destruction" and people are still supporting him. I can't believe that he just lied to us so that we could get into a war and so many people are dying on both sides it's ridiculous! :x I do support the troops in the war, but I don't agree with the fact that people on both sides of the conflict are getting killed each day just because of something that a few people did to us! Don't get me wrong, 9/11 was a horrible thing, but we shouldn't be going over and killing people just because they "could be" terrorists. Most people who are getting killed over there probably aren't terrorists and yet we are creating more terror by being in Iraq. We can't leave now because that will just create more disaster from leaving the country in shambles. There's no easy solution to this mess that Bush has gotten us into! :( I disagreed with him from the beginning and I wish I could have voted back in 2000 because then I would have voted for Gore. Maybe if he had won, this war would not have happened, maybe not. But I still think he would be a better leader than George W. Bush! That's why I'm determined to cast my vote in the elections next year and to carefully follow each candidate so I know who is the best to vote for.

I think a lot of people in America don't follow the candidates enough and they just vote for whoever represents one thing they agree with. You have to examine all the options before voting. I really like Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, but I don't know if I will end up voting for either of them because I am still unsure of what exactly they will stand for next year. People switch what they stand for so often that I get confused on what they truly stand for. For instance, Bush said that he'd protect the environment, now he's done none of the sort! :roll:

The key to winning the people's approval, in my opinion is honesty and following through as best you can with your promises. I don't know many politicians who have ever done that. Even Bill Clinton, whom I like a lot, wasn't honest some of the time.

I think it is definitely true that American children are brought up to have extreme national pride. I don't think it's a bad thing, but I think that kids should also know the truth about their country and that it isn't so great. THe first time that I realized the government lied to us was when Clinton was in office. That made me think differently about politicians and a little differently about America. Plus, Americans seem to think that we were the first ones to find this country and that we are the best. I'll admit that none of that is true! Kids are taught in school that their ancestors were nice to the Native Americans and that there were some wars with them, but we just "kicked their butts" because we needed land. This ultimately encourages the "we are better than others" attitude which persists in America today. My teacher taught us the truth about Columbus when I was in 8th grade. Before that I thought that he was nice to all the natives and that everything was peachy-keen. Now, I think differently. Here we are saying that we're supposed to fight terrorism-NEWSFLASH AMERICA: We were Terrorists! We killed millions of Native Americans by giving them smallpox infested blankets! As of right now, I don't agree with much of my country's policies. I am torn between love for my homeland and hatred for the lying system that it has.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:02 pm

id love to march on to number 10 and parliment and tell them like it is. ive dreamed of the peaple of britain grouing together from all over all races all ages both sexes everyone marching there and telling them what we want and what we dont want and finnaly take them down in a non violent way. the gundhi way. i hope other peaple share the same dream but thats all it is a dream and a fantasy.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:44 pm

I am uncomfortable with some Conservative Policy, especially under the new Leader David Cameron, however I would be inclined to vote Conservative as I know there are people in there who care about the family. The complete breakdown in trqaditional family life is the biggest crisis facing Britain today, almost as serious as the environment.

I agree 100%. That is the main reason why I would never vote for Labour, the Lib Dems, or any other left-wing party. They seem to be so obsessed with distributing wealth that social and personal responsibility don't seem to feature in any of their policies. :? I suppose I'm still a socialist at heart, but I don't believe that socialistic policies need to be implemented in the form of handouts or benefits - in fact, I think this only perpetuates the poverty cycle. To be honest, the current Labour government has seemed so intent on destroying what is left of family and Christian values in Britain, that I am seriously worried for the future.

Then, of course, you have the Iraq war. Despite experiencing an unprecendented terrorist threat, we were not justified - either legally or morally - to declare war on Iraq. Due to our actions, hundreds of thousands of lives were lost in Iraq, many of them being innocent civilians. :( How can TB and his cronies justify this when the British and American forces haven't even brought peace and prosperity to the region? :?

On the doemstic front, many of our hospitals are unclean and inefficient. Waiting lists are probably the longest they have ever been. The government's performance in educational reform has also been very sketchy. Whilst some improvements have been made in some areas, there are still many thousands of children who leave primary and secondary school unable to read properly. There is also a feeling amongst many voters that enough isn't being done to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour. As irresponsibility only seems to be encouraged by this current Labour government, there is a seemingly growing minority of Brits who seem intent on making all of our lives a misery. It does seem as though more and more of our communities are becoming blighted by the problems of crime and anti-social behaviour. :?

It is also ironic that many of the Labour MPs accused the Conservative government of the early 1990s of sleaze, when they have become embroiled in scandal after scandal themselves! To be frank, I've lost count of the number of Labour MPs who have been accused of acting improperly, either during office or in their personal life. To me that is a sign that they are not to be trusted! :D

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Debate Forum