The internet - all good?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you believe everything you read on the internet without question?

Yes - always!
4%
Depends on the site!
79%
No - never!
17%

Total votes : 24

The internet - all good?

Postby Kentigern » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:12 pm

Have a look at this article from the BBC News website:

The British developer of the world wide web says he is worried about the way it could be used to spread misinformation and "undemocratic forces".

The web has transformed the way many people work, play and do business.

But Sir Tim Berners-Lee told BBC News he feared that, if the way the internet is used was left to develop unchecked, "bad things" could happen.

He wants to set up a web science research project to study the social implications of the web's development.

The changes experienced to date because of the web are just the start of a more radical transformation of society, he said.

But Sir Tim is concerned about the way it could end up being used.

He told the BBC: "If we don't have the ability to understand the web as it's now emerging, we will end up with things that are very bad.

"Certain undemocratic things could emerge and misinformation will start spreading over the web.

"Studying these forces and the way they're affected by the underlying technology is one of the things that we think is really important," he said.

Social phenomenon

He insisted his new web science research initiative would be more than just computer science.

He said he wanted to attract researchers from a range of disciplines to study it as a social as well as technological phenomenon.

Sir Tim added that he hoped it would create a new science for studying the web, which he believes would lead to newer and more exciting systems.

"All kinds of disciplines are going to have to converge. People with all kinds of skills are going to have to work together to build a new web which is going to be even better," he said.

He also said employers were now beginning to complain that there were not enough people who fully understood the web.

"There aren't any courses at the moment and it hasn't really been brought together.

"We're hearing complaints from companies when they need people that really understand the medium from both the technological and social side.

"When you look at university courses, web science isn't there - it seems to fall through the cracks.

"So we'd like to put it on the curriculum so that there are a lot more people who understand this."

Social challenges

The US-based Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Southampton, UK, will launch the long-term research collaboration that will have a direct influence on the future development of the world wide web.

The Web Science Research Initiative will chart out a research agenda aimed at understanding the scientific, technical and social challenges underlying the growth of the web.

Of particular interest is the growing volume of information on the web that documents more and more aspects of human activity and knowledge.

The project will examine how we access this information and assess its reliability.

What do people think? I often worry that a lot of information on websites is not accurate, and indeed can be inaccurate and damagingly innaccurate. Therefore if it doesn't come from a reputable site (and how does one know if a website is reputable or not?) I take information gleaned from the internet with a large dose of salt!
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby mattie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:20 pm

I do think that a lot of the info on websites is probably factually incorrect (i.e. merely opinion), but then I also think that whe tabloids and television are the same.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:01 pm

I agree with Mattie. People should read webpages with a healthy scepticism, but they should read ANYTHING with a healthy scepticism.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:06 pm

You have to be careful with any information. If your unsure about something you should double or even tripple check by using other sources. Come too think of it, you should do it even if you think your sure.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:00 pm

People can post whatever the heck they want on the Internet so I don't trust every site and even those that are reputable I use caution when reading. I think the Internet is a great way to communicate, but sometimes great things can also be bad things or false things. "With great power comes great responsibility"-that's what Uncle Ben from Spiderman said and I think that the Internet has great power, but we must be responsible when dealing with its information because the Internet is not always correct or good. Even on this site I am careful about divulging too much information like my picture or other things. No offense to anyone on here, but I don't want someone to take my picture and turn it into something bad. There are people in the world that would do that and people on the Internet do it quite often. That's where Law and Order: SVU gets its stories about se*ual offenders from. It's not made up stuff. Even on my blog site I have my personal photo albums blocked from people's view. There's too many Internet creeps and you have to be cautionary.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:10 pm

I DUNT UNDERSTAND TEH INTARWEBZ CAN I HAVE A GUIDE???
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 pm

Dan wrote:I DUNT UNDERSTAND TEH INTARWEBZ CAN I HAVE A GUIDE???

??????
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:42 pm

I don't trust a lot of websites and some can be dangerous and misleading.
Though with time and care you can find a good and reliable website,people can put anything they want on a website even if its not true.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby kitty_cute » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 pm

You can trust news websites such as BBC, but you have to be more careful with websites such as Wikipedia, as it's written by anyone; the infomation may be very wrong!
Japan ! ^_^ <super kawaii>

No PM'S please unless it's urgent =]
kitty_cute
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum