Big Media Companies: Are they good or bad?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Big Media Companies: Are they good or bad?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:32 am

What do you think about the globalization of media companies like Time Warner, Disney, Viacom, etc.

I've been doing a report on all the things that Time Warner owns and I've become increasingly disturbed by the fact that it owns so many worldwide companies. It is Americanizing the world and I don't think that's necessarily a good thing. We're not the best country in the world, contrary to some people's beliefs in my country. We're a good country, but we have our faults and some of our faults are being broadcast throughout the world-ie the extreme thinness girls are "supposed" to have here. This ideal is being broadcast on American TV shows and movies throughout the world.

Furthermore, if one or two companies owns all the rest of the world's companies, there won't be room for the views of people who don't agree with the two top firms. This is already happening here in America in our radio business. Laws let Clear Channel own more than 1,000 stations nationwide. It's nearest competitor is leagues behind. You can literally go from New York to San Diego and listen to a Clear Channel station all the way there. There will be the same songs, the same commercials, similar D.J. personalities, etc. New artists and local bands with more unique songs have more trouble getting on air than they ever did because big companies own all the little stations that used to cater to people who liked something different. You almost never hear hardcore punk on the radio and pretty soon, there will only be one country station in Chicago. The stations say they are "giving people what they want," but really they are just giving a few people what they want. Many viewpoints are being lost. By the way, all of this is allowed under a Federal Law called the Telecommunications Act of 1996.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:07 am

ive had to do research on time warner as well for college and it scares me how much they own. im sure they should have been checked by someone at some point, its mass globalization.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:10 pm

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1052294,00.htmlCheck this out: Time Warner and Comcast deal to take over cable tv.

People sound off on the rising prices of Time Warner Cable.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2006/11/17/ddn111706timewarnerweb.html

Don't get me wrong, I like TW's shows and movies, but they own too much!

Here's the legislation that brought TW to this place of conglomeration. Although I do like Pres. Clinton, he did a crappy job with this act. Since the act is 128 pages long, I decided to just paste the link to the FCC's website for it on here. You can read it on your own time if you like or just visit the site to explore. It tells you what the act is and how it can affect our lives. Even if you don't live in the United States, it can still affect you because of this globalization it permits. So please visit and then comment on here. http://www.fcc.gov/telecom.html
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:16 pm

ive heard sony bought out time warner as well. or atleast were trying to. or they may still be trying to.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:46 pm

I haven't heard it yet. As far as I know, Time Warner is doing quite well. I'll have to check it out. Can you give me a link to that or something?
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:35 pm

i dont hve a link but theres probebly something about it on google.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum