What is Normal? Is it an attainable thing?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

What is Normal? Is it an attainable thing?

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:40 pm

I personally don't think that "normal" is a term that should be used for anybody because what's normal to me might not be normal to you. People who are "normal" sometimes feel just as left out of the world as we do or just as "abnormal." I believe "normal" is an unattainable thing. Nobody can ever really be that way because we are all really, really different. We see things different ways and we like and dislike different things. You might think it strange that I call soda "pop," but for me that's a normal thing since a lot of people in Chicago like to call it that. Society sets unattainable standards for normalcy. Nobody can be that "Brady Bunch" family and solve all their problems. Nobody is problem free like in the movies. Everybody has a different thing that they have to deal with and even if we didn't have learning disabilities we might have something like a bad parent or cancer or something. I don't think normal is ever attainable. What do you think?
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:56 pm

exactly! what is normal exactly? i think in modern culture at the id say normal is someone who follows the latest fashion, listens to the top 40 chart and fits in with the crowd who in term like to use term like freak or geek or weirdo. im a geek and proud (it limits my chances of ever getting laid but id rather be happy being who i am) and im a freak and a weirdo screw being what society calls the norm with there blond hair blue eyes and anorexic woman.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:14 pm

I think that normal is what's normal for you. Everyone has a different normal. Most people have ten fingers and ten toes, but some people are born with two extra toes or fingers, but this doesn't make then any less normal.

Something not normal is something that is different to you - my friend isn't aloud to stay at home alone for any amount of timem even though she is 15. To me, that isn't normal, but to her, it is. To her, being aloud to stay at home alone isn't normal, but to me, it is.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:25 pm

There is not really a 'normal' because everyone's different.For example,I probably think the way I live is normal,but I might not think my neighbours way of live is 'normal'.I mean if any of you have watched the Vanessa Show at lunch time well you would have seen a lot of people with extraordaniary lives but they think is pretty normal to them...

No-one is normal and I suppose we know more as we all have dyspraxia and know what it is like to be labelled 'weird'.No one really thinks about this when they say something is not normal because believe me.. everyone is normal.

I think its wrong to say whats normal from your own perspective without looking at someone elses first.I mean on the Vanessa Show a man eats insects for a living - at first I thought this was really 'weird' but this man is perfectly normal because you can only live the way you think is 'normal' if you can even call it that.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:09 pm

Yeah, I think it's whatever you want it to be. If you think that eating cat is normal (as some people do in other countries) then that's normal for you. But it might not be normal for me. I personally think it's disgusting. But I think that people need to just maybe try to see things from others' points of view. I like the band Hanson and some people think that's weird, but people who respect me respect that I like them. They don't try to make fun of me for it. I think that if people just tried to respect what others thought of as "normal" then we would have a much better world.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Yes,I have been enjoying this very interesting subject.Now I hope eveyone understands that there is no normal! And you should never call someone a 'weirdo' just because they do something a little different from you.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:26 pm

It rather depends on your definition of the word 'normal'.

If you are referring to someone who adheres to society's norms, then it would mean the following:

1) Someone who hasn't got a mind of their own.
2) Gets drunk and takes drugs to fit in with their mates.
3) Has se* at every available opportunity.
4) Copies other people's behaviour.

If, however, you are referring to someone who merely acts in a way that would be considered by any sane individual to be 'normal', then it would mean the following:

1) Has their own mind.
2) Unconventional in their behaviour or attitudes.

Personally, I find people in the later category to be the most interesting. Unfortunately, the cynic in me says that these people are extremely uncommon. :?

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:48 am

I'd say (to an extend i know this theorie can be bended for exsample if you put nine murderers in a room they'd be the average but not in the bigger picture- if you get me) but i think people can judge 'normalness' on the averagness and routines they see it in, and if somone disturbs that flow of evreyday normalness i think thier labeled as wierd.
Do i make sence?
lol, probably not- oh well!
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:54 am

who wants to be normal. seriously
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby C » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:29 pm

mattie wrote:It rather depends on your definition of the word 'normal'.

If you are referring to someone who adheres to society's norms, then it would mean the following:

1) Someone who hasn't got a mind of their own.
2) Gets drunk and takes drugs to fit in with their mates.
3) Has se* at every available opportunity.
4) Copies other people's behaviour.

If, however, you are referring to someone who merely acts in a way that would be considered by any sane individual to be 'normal', then it would mean the following:

1) Has their own mind.
2) Unconventional in their behaviour or attitudes.

Personally, I find people in the later category to be the most interesting. Unfortunately, the cynic in me says that these people are extremely uncommon. :?

Mattie.

Mattie, I have to object to your first description of 'normal.' There are many people out there who 'adhere to society norms' but do not meet any of the four criteria you listed. You shouldn't be so cynical. Don't let a few bad experiences with non-dyspraxic people put you off.

In my opinion, there is no such things as 'normal.' I think everyone has different views about things; for example, a couple with four children may think this is the 'normal' number of children to have, while a couple with one child may think this is the 'normal' number. The effect of 'normal' occurs when the majority of people's different views and behaviour correlate to form an average. For example, the 'normal' (as in average) number of children per family is (I believe) 2.4. Yet nobody has 2.4 children. So while people with 3 children are 'close to normal' and people with 2 children are 'even closer to normal' nobody is 'normal' in this respect!

HOWEVER...

I do believe it is useful to have an idea of the 'normal' or 'average' in certain situations. For example, I have just finished studying child care and we learnt about developmental norms for children. Although this does have it's disadvantages, this is mostly good as people can see how children are progressing and provide support for children who fall above or below the developmental norm. It also allows conditions, like dyspraxia, to be diagnosed.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:36 am

i think people who say normal are referring to what most people do , so for example a "normal" person in school would be socialable and not care about anything else (well at my school anyway)
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:25 pm

I agree with the idea that "normal" is personal but it coexists with a specific thing known as "normal" floating around. It's as if no one actually agreed on the criteria but everyone seems to know what it is.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Do you want the technical answer?

(No, nobody does, but I'm going to give it anyway.)

Psychologically speaking, there are four classifications of abnormality:

1.) Statistical infrequency, i.e. the rate of occurence of a specific behaviour or biological trait in the general population. If it happens a lot, it is considered normal. (There are obviously big problems with this classification - leprosy did not become 'normal' for the people on the island of Molokai just because all they suffered from it.)
2.) Deviation from social norms, i.e. a radical departure from what it is classed as normal by your particular culture.
3.) Failure to function adequately, i.e. an inability to cope with various aspects of daily living that others might take for granted.
4.) Deviation from ideal mental health.

All these classifications are problematic because they focus purely on the difficulties brought in my difference, but these are the best criteria available.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby mattie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:07 pm

You shouldn't be so cynical.

Perhaps, that was a tad cynical of me. :D However, I still think that what I wrote is still true. :shock: Unfortunately, most teenager's are exactly as I described. :? This is not an opinion, but a statement of fact. That doesn't mean, of course, that there aren't many who do not adhere to these values, but the majority do. :)

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:15 pm

Unfortunately, most teenager's are exactly as I described. This is not an opinion, but a statement of fact.

If it's a statement of fact, it should have plenty of evidence to back it up. But when I look for the evidence, I fail to find any. I can think of lots of people who have been unkind to me because of my learning difficulties, but that doesn't mean they represent the youthful population of Britain. I can think of lots of (tabloid) newspaper articles that focus on juvenile delinquency, but not everything that's in newsprint is true - especially if it is from a rag like the Daily Mail.

Whenever you meet someone new, try treat and them as if you and they are the only people in the world. Don't let prejudice warp your behaviour and look for what is best in everybody. If you do that, you will surely find something good - no matter where you are. People like Maximilian Kolbe managed to find things worth living for in the death camp of Auschwitz. It's possible.

To paraphrase Gandhi: "Even if I am in a minority of one, the truth remains the truth." It doesn't matter how many nasty or selfish people you meet. Goodness is natural to us all, even if in many cases it has been distorted.

(I use the word natural instead of 'normal' for a reason.)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Debate Forum