Impossible?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Impossible?

Postby The Shadowscythe » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:57 pm

In an MSN conversation all of ten minutes ago, me and a close friend just came up with, what we thing, is a universal impossibility, an object that we believe, is impossible to build, and we're open to ideas/suggestions about this, but we have just come to the conclusion, that -

It is impossible to build a "one" sided object.

Think about it, even a coin has two sides, even if it is just an atom wide, it still has two sides, and we also thought of a sphere, but it has no "single" side, it is an object with infinite "sides" if you try and thing about it from a point of view where the shape of the sphere has to be made up of infinite "sides" to make up its surface.

So how, could we build a "one sided object" if we ever could, and what would it look like? could it even exist in our universe?

Discuss.
The Shadowscythe
Super Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:05 pm

What about the air?
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Kentigern » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 pm

OK This will sound sad but here goes...

All shapes can be plotted on a 3 dimensional graph.

The gradient of the surface of a sphere changes continuously from one point to the next. The gradient does not change discontinuously anywhere, i.e. there are no sharp edges.

With a cube the gradient on the surface changes discontinuously, i.e. there are sharp edges.

I would define an "side" as being a line or area bounded by a discontinuous gradient change i.e. an edge.

Does that make sense?

Gordon
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:12 pm

Gordon is a scientist, so he thinks of mathematical things like the above. Me, I'm into the philosophy of language. I'm especially interested in the notion that 'one' and 'infinite' can mean the same thing. For example, the thirteenth-century mystic Julian of Norwich saw 'a lytll thynge lyke unto a hasel notte' in a vision and realised that it was 'alle that is made'. The same idea is often found in religious thought, with people referring to an infinite God as 'the One'. This is especially prevalent within Islam.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:56 pm

A side is just a perception. A one-sided object is a 1 Dimensional object, and as we can only percieve a 3 Dimensional world everything will always be 3D. Though, we can't percieve time, but maybe it's possible to see time like someone in the 2D world would see the 3rd dimension.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:09 am

Isnt a sphere a one sided object as there are no boundaries with which toi define a change in side?
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:33 am

I thought a sphere had an infinite number of sides.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Danni » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm

I've heard that a theoretical sphere has one side, but that any sphere in existence has many sides, due to imperfections.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:21 pm

But a theoretical sphere has NO sides, since it doesn't exist at all. This discussion is hurting my brain!
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:23 pm

Huh? Sides?! I thought a sphere was curved. Maybe it has one curved side.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Return to Debate Forum