The death penalty/

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Would you agree to re introducing the death penalty for extremly serious crimes (murder/manslaughter/violent rape)

Definatly
11%
um, no
89%

Total votes : 35

The death penalty/

Postby k9ruby » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:41 pm

Whats everyones veiws?
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:15 pm

No, never. If you start killing murderers it's ironic.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:35 pm

yeah, it is. I've always hated the idea of the death penalty and probably always will.

If an inocent person is somehow found guilty of a crime like murder and are sentenced with the death penalty, and later the person who did commit the crime is the found, they can't give the inoccent person their life back, however, if they just get put in prison, then if they can let them out.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:16 pm

[quote="chocolatefudgecake"]yeah, it is. I've always hated the idea of the death penalty and probably always will.

If an inocent person is somehow found guilty of a crime like murder and are sentenced with the death penalty, and later the person who did commit the crime is the found, they can't give the inoccent person their life back, however, if they just get put in prison, then if they can let them out.[/quote]

i agree and life imprisement is a lot more of a punishment then death as if ur killed then its over but if ur in prision for life you have a horrible life. I also think life imprisement should mean LIfE not like 5 yrs.
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Joss1991 wrote:
chocolatefudgecake wrote:yeah, it is. I've always hated the idea of the death penalty and probably always will.

If an inocent person is somehow found guilty of a crime like murder and are sentenced with the death penalty, and later the person who did commit the crime is the found, they can't give the inoccent person their life back, however, if they just get put in prison, then if they can let them out.

i agree and life imprisement is a lot more of a punishment then death as if ur killed then its over but if ur in prision for life you have a horrible life. I also think life imprisement should mean LIfE not like 5 yrs.

Life imprisonment is 25 years, and it can be life in certain circumstances, in Doctor Shipman's case, the judge said "And life shall mean life". Also, prison doesn't really work if you don't get released, I think there should always be a release date unless the person is especially dangerous.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:57 pm

i say instead of the death sentence use them to test out drugs and medicines in stead of animals. animals not harmed violent killers and phycopaths being tested on to help better mankind, everyone wins.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:06 am

intowiz wrote:i say instead of the death sentence use them to test out drugs and medicines in stead of animals. animals not harmed violent killers and phycopaths being tested on to help better mankind, everyone wins.

'cept that's against human rights. You can't test drugs on people, that's literally like treating prisoners like animals. That's wrong.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:59 am

id much rather see a mass murderer or a rapist tested than an animal
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:32 am

"'cept that's against human rights."
And killing them isn't breaching that, hahahaha!
im probably evil but if they did the crime then they should be prepared to do the punishment, if it's bad enough then sure why shouldn't they die, either that or there just going to rot in prison instead, obiviosly i only hold those views for serious serious crimes!
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:58 pm

But Martha, how would you know for sure that the person was guilty? One of the major factors of the death penalty's abolition in Britain was the wrongful conviction and execution of an innocent man. Our justice system can never be watertight. Mistakes have always happened and will continue to happen. If you kill an innocent person you can never give them their life back, as ChocFC has pointed out.

Even if it were absolutely certain that the person was guilty, I would still oppose the death penalty. The punishment should fit the crime, not mirror it precisely.

i say instead of the death sentence use them to test out drugs and medicines in stead of animals. animals not harmed violent killers and phycopaths being tested on to help better mankind

A person's worth is determined by who they are, not by what they do. You're effectively saying that if someone murders another person, they're subhuman. I don't believe that. Killers are extremely vicious and twisted humans, but their actions don't make them less than a person.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:08 pm

The Life of David Gale is a good film, if you believe in the death penalty, it might change your views.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:13 pm

I don't believe in the death penalty. All murderers should just be given life in prison, with life meaning life!

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:51 pm

http://www.lifelines.org/site/home.htm

I am going to start writing with them.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby intowiz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:48 am

i think why should they deserve rights as a human. test on them, i dont agree with animal testing and i dont agree with the death penalty.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:13 pm

That doesn't mean you should merge the two ideas together.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Next

Return to Debate Forum