The death penalty/

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Would you agree to re introducing the death penalty for extremly serious crimes (murder/manslaughter/violent rape)

Definatly
11%
um, no
89%

Total votes : 35

Postby Dan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:33 pm

I think testing things on animals is wrong too, but that doesn't mean humans should have things tested on them...
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:32 pm

It isn't necessary to test cosmetic products on either animals or humans. There are many other ways of testing them.

Medical testing is different issue and too complicated to go into here. This debate is not about animal testing, it is about the death penalty.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby intowiz » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:05 pm

i dont believe in the death penalty because hate breeds hate and theres enough of that already.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:26 am

Treating people as less than human can also breed hate. In the Nazi death camps prisoners were frequently used as human guinea pigs for medical experiments. In some cases the guinea pigs were convicted criminals, although the majority were Jews or gypsies. It also happened in Manchuria. To this day there is a lot of emnity between the Chinese and the Japanese as a result of the experiments that were carried out on Chinese prisoners during the occupation. Treating people as subhumans does not do anything to diffuse hatred.

i think why should they deserve rights as a human.

Nobody 'deserves' or 'earns' their human dignity. We have that dignity simply because we are human. Mother Teresa and the Ipswich serial killer both share it, as shocking as that may sound.

We need forgiveness. We need redemption. It's the only way we can drive out the hatred you talk about. No person is ever bad to the core and where there is life, there is hope. It may be a cliche, but it's very apt for this situation.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Goldenhamster » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:42 pm

I don't believe in the death penalty. How do we decide what is 'serious' enough to merit expulsion from life? Do we have that right? Is there such thing as a person beyond redemption? Personally I don't think it is our right to take away criminal's lives and I believe and hope that no human is beyond redemption.
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:28 pm

This may sound wrong but I think the death penalty is ok if you have enough proof to do so.The criminals should serve a maximum of 1 year in prison before the death penalty is carried out.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dork_Lord » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:08 pm

The problem is with the death penalty is that although some criminals are in deserving of it, is that no human is good enough to fully know when it can be administered.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby mattie » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:02 pm

I am against the death penalty for 3 reasons:-

1) It is inhumane.
2) The courts do convict innocent people sometimes.
3) There is no evidence to suggest that the death penalty reduces criminality.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:27 pm

unfortunattly there are a lot of innocent peaple who get the death penalty. one type of innocent peaple are peaple who should be in mental institutions getting care not being in jail where it does no good. i think things should be tested on peaple like ian huntley.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Kentigern » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:34 pm

You say that there are many innocent people who get the death penalty, some of whom should be in mnetal institutions (not a term I like) instead. Assumedly by the same logic if you were to test things on crinimals, there would be many innocent people who would have things tested on them, including some who should be in mental institutions. How do you know that Ian Huntley shouldn't be in a mental institution?

Crinimal Justice should about trying to change people's bad behaviour and reforming people. It should not be about making crinimals subhuman. We can never judge a person, only the act.

Gordon
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Alice » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:29 pm

I believe...
...no human being is beyond redemption
...human life is sacred
...no one has the right or wisdom to make choices for God
...criminals should make amends on earth
...no court is dependable enough to pass an iriversable sentence

I cannot believe in the death penalty
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Kentigern » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:22 pm

hear hear!

Gordon
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:26 pm

I believe that God has the power to change even the worst criminal we are not God and therefore are not at liberty to take a life,
Andy
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:39 pm

humans make choices not god
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:18 am

You are right to a certain extent, Jason. God doesn't 'choose' anything; He just is. It is human beings who have the choices - to choose real love (synonymous with God in Christian thought) or to choose cruelty. Lord forbid that I ever choose to do a bad thing to anyone.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum