The death penalty/

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Would you agree to re introducing the death penalty for extremly serious crimes (murder/manslaughter/violent rape)

Definatly
11%
um, no
89%

Total votes : 35

Postby intowiz » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:22 am

what im saying is that if the human race decided to just let god choose nothng would get done and we would have a dark age situation where were told what to do by clergymen.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Kentigern » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:43 am

As Christians we don't believe that God chooses, and we don't believe that God imposes Himself on us. We believe that God has given us a set of guidelines around which we should base our lives, it's up to us to choose whether we want to follow those guidelines (which we believe will lead to our fulfillment in this world and the next) or not.

Even if we do decide to follow these guidelines, it is often not clear how to apply those guidelines to our lifes due to the complexity of the human condition, and again it is us who have to work that out. Clergy can advise us what to do, but they don't tell us what to do.

As regards the death penalty, I believe that it is wrong to deny anyone the chance to choose to live better lives at some point in the future, no matter how henious an act they may have committed. The death penalty denys the individual the choice and freedom of living a better life in the future and denys the person the chance to make amends in the future. The death penalty involve us intefering with the natural order in an unwholesome way that unfairly denies people the chance to do good in the future.
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:37 pm

I have changed my opinion a little I think that the death penalty is quite cruel and scary for someone who is innocent.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:31 pm

I think the death penalty is quite cruel and scary for anyone, innocent or guilty. That's one of the reasons why it should never be used.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby C » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:00 pm

I disagree with the death penalty. The main reason for this is in case an innocent person is killed. This does happen. Think of people like Sally Clarke. I also don't like the idea of a person intentionally killing another person (no matter what they have done). It just seems wrong. I admit there are situations where you could say that killing is not wrong (self-defense being an example) but I think that prison is a better alternative to the death penalty. Mattie (I think it was in Mattie's post) stated that there was no evidence that the death penalty reduces crime so it cannot be used as an argument that it serves to deter people from crime.

I admit that if someone I loved were killed I might want their murderer to die. But that would be because of trauma and pain at the time. Hopefully in time I would come to see that this belief was vindictive and would not bring back my loved one.

However, the final reason that I do not believe in the death penalty is a slightly vindictive one. I believe that life should mean life unless the person is proved innocent. This is so that they do not serve as a danger to the public. However I admit that there are certain crimes (very few) I believe should cause suffering to the perpetrator. Not death, just suffering. And being killed I believe is less of a punishment than spending the rest of your life rotting in a cell.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:42 am

The death penalty is legal here in the states. I personally don't like it because a lot of innocent people get put on Death Row and get the penalty. A lot of those people are African American or a minority which is also unfair. I just don't agree with killing people for doing anything, not even killing other people. Two wrongs don't make a right so why kill Timothy McVeigh for killing other people? I know it was really sad that he bombed Oklahoma City in 1995, but did he really need the death penalty? I mean, life in prison might have been enough punishment. Although then people would probably say its costing them their tax dollars to keep him alive. But I don't care. People can change. What if Timothy changed and truly showed he was sorry for what he had done? He could have lived to be a remarkable person and instead he's dead.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:50 pm

Talking of Sally Clark I have read the book about her trial and it is deeply saddening.I know she has not to be put on the death penalty but if she was it would horrific.She recieved terrible injustice and if it was in the states, she would probably sentenced to death what would mean a life of guilt and sadness for those who found her guilty.I know at first, I agreed with the death penalty but now I don't because I having not long read the book of Sally Clark- I thought how sad it would be if she was sentenced to death.Yes it would be scary for anyone recieving the death penalty innocent or guilty.As Shanna said two wrongs don't make a right it is hardly justice for the family of the victim.The worst punishment for a criminal would be to live a terrible,long life behind bars reminding them of the terrible thing that they did.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 pm

Katielauren2001 wrote:Talking of Sally Clark I have read the book about her trial and it is deeply saddening.I know she has not to be put on the death penalty but if she was it would horrific.She recieved terrible injustice and if it was in the states, she would probably sentenced to death what would mean a life of guilt and sadness for those who found her guilty.I know at first, I agreed with the death penalty but now I don't because I having not long read the book of Sally Clark- I thought how sad it would be if she was sentenced to death.Yes it would be scary for anyone recieving the death penalty innocent or guilty.As Shanna said two wrongs don't make a right it is hardly justice for the family of the victim.The worst punishment for a criminal would be to live a terrible,long life behind bars reminding them of the terrible thing that they did.

If you want to see a movie that talks about those who administer the death penalty (as in give the shots, etc.) and their guilt, I'd suggest Monster's Ball with Halle Barry and Billy Bob Thornton. It's a sad film, but it has a message. Not one of my personal favorites, but it puts the point across pretty well I think.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:16 pm

Yes,I will look into the film.A boy in my class thinks the death penalty is ok.He said this while we were watching something in R.E about 'Can you forgive if someone murdered someone in your family'He said he would have one life for another.Eek!!Acutally I might start a debate about the whole forgivness thing.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:05 am

Katielauren2001 wrote:Yes,I will look into the film.A boy in my class thinks the death penalty is ok.He said this while we were watching something in R.E about 'Can you forgive if someone murdered someone in your family'He said he would have one life for another.Eek!!Acutally I might start a debate about the whole forgivness thing.

Just to warn you there are some racial slurs in it and some kind of gross parts, but otherwise it's okay. It's not one of my favorite films, but it gets the message across. As far as I know, it's the only film that features questions about the death penalty.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Charmbracelets » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:39 pm

I have always been against the death penalty because I think that the main purpose of it seems to be revenge and revenge is wrong-there is no particular religious reason for me to believe this-I am agnostic although I was raised Anglican but have not been to church since I was ten apart from Midnight Mass sometimes. I was bullied at school as I'm sure others on here also were but I never retaliated to them-just because someone does something to you doesn't mean you have the right to do it back to them. My degree is in Criminology with Sociology and we studied the death penalty recently-it was horrific learning about how sometimes the people are set on fire because they calculate the voltage wrong and how they have to be put in nappies because they urinate and defacate because of the effect of the shock on the body-they can also vomit blood. I know there are other methods of capital punishment but really not one of them is humane at all.
Charmbracelets

Postby Dork_Lord » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:36 am

Long drop hanging is the only really remotely humane method of execution. I'm personally against capital punishment on the grounds that life imprisonment is far worse than execution and it gives the criminals tie to reflect on their crimes and perhaps truly come to repent of them.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby eastlondonluke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:35 pm

I don't think its righite,I would let dem rot in da prison cause killing dem is leting dem off a bit cause imagine if ya had to spend da rest of ya life in da slamer then ya realy would wana be killed
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Chinagirl » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:07 pm

eastlondonluke wrote:I don't think its righite,I would let dem rot in da prison cause killing dem is leting dem off

i agree with luke. capital punishment is cruel, but if a murderor / rapist dies then for them it is all over quite quickly, yet if they are put in prison for life (AND I MEAN THEIR WHOLE LIFE, NOT 25 YRS) they have the rest of their lives to remember what they have done, and in jail they are not a danger to anyone else
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Postby Splendid » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:28 pm

I don't like the death penalty. Killing another person wont heal any grief you hold against a murderer.
Life, The Universe, Everything - 42
Splendid

Previous

Return to Debate Forum