Do you care about the enviroment?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

No!
10%
Yes.It is a very important issue.
90%
I don't know.
No votes

Total votes : 21

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:47 pm

There are lots of scares about pollution,and global warming but does anyone actually care?When I was younger,I couldn't care less.Then I really realised what could happen when I watched a film about the enviroment.

There aren't a lot of solutions left for us to choose and we'd better do something before that problems of the world take it's toll..

I am just interested to find out how many of you care as it is quite an interesting subject to talk about.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:23 pm

I care, but what worries me is that loads of people don't.

If people don't do anything about pollution and global warming soon, it will be too late.

I feel guilty about using electricity soo much on a daily basis. and about turning on christmas lights.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:50 pm

i care alot about the enviroment i try not to use to much water i turn off electrical things when im not using them i recycle as muchaas i can, i dont litter and if i do its just paper.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:21 pm

I care very deeply about the environment. I've often thogyut that when i get a job, i'll donate monmey to environemental projects, especially ones that try to save animals from extinction. I love monkeys and most animals including plants and tress. I think the world would be pointless without wildlife animals.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:30 pm

I care very much about the environment, especially global warming and the possibility of a gradual but steep rise in sea level. Here are some simple but effective things you can do to care for the environment:

* Never drop litter. It's not only hazardous, but also ugly.

* Have a note on your door reminding you to switch off electrical appliances when you're not using them.

* Do not leave lights on in empty rooms.

* Use rechargable batteries instead of ordinary ones.

* Find out where your nearest recycling bins are and store up your waste paper, tin cans, and glass/plastic bottles for collection. My family has buckets for this purpose in the garage.

* Never throw away old clothes or shoes. Donate them to a charity shop or a shoe bank - in the case of shoes the leather can be re-used even if the shoes themselves can no longer be worn.

* Do not use fabric conditioners or softeners in your washing machine.

* Do not use coloured toilet paper. Buy plain white rolls - the dye in coloured rolls is very bad for the environment.

* Set aside a little money each week to donate to 'green' charities.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Kentigern » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:20 am

Vicky's advice is good.

What is sad though is that we are already seeing the results of our neglect in the past. Over the last few years the earth's climate system has been getting more erratic. The hurricane season in the US is getting more erratic, here in the UK weather patterns are unstable. As well as not making things worse we need to think about how to cope with some of the inevitable effects, like sea level rise which is already happening and which will continue in the near future no matter what we do.

Nucelar Power has to be a part of the solution to the UK's power needs. Renewables will never be able to replace our polluting power stations. While nuclear waste is a problem, nuclear power has to be a medium term solution while we come up with something better.
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby DELETED » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:14 am

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Dork_Lord » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:58 am

What concerns me is that the issue of global warming seems to me to be yet another prediction of doom. I beleive that global warming may turn out to be another mistaken hypothesis as all predictions of doom of modern society have turned out false. I'm not saying that we should actively try to damage the environment and i think we should stop thigs which obviously damage our surroundings. (mercury poisoning, oil spills and such)
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Kentigern » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:59 am

Dave,

I don't think the hypothesis of global warming is wrong. The majority of Scientific Research support it, and we can actually measure the effects and see the consequences of it here and now. Global warming is mainly due to the release of greenhouse gases, especially carbon dioxide, and while there are many unknowns all the evidence suggests that we have a problem.

Extrapolations for the future are to say the least sobering. Again all the research suggests that global warming will get worse because two of the largest countires in the world population wise, India and China, are increasingly using fossil fuels for power generation emmiting carbon dioxide, so despite our effort in Europe to emmit carbon dioxide, the input of carbon dioixde into the atmosphere will continue to increase compounding the problems we already have.

What is less certain is the effests on human civilisation, though these are likely to be real and serious. If enough money is spent to a certain extent the effects can be mitigated, and especially in the western world we can build flood defenses etc and mitigate the effects on us. However it is the third world that will suffer most as a result of global warming, and they don't have the money to mitigate the effects. If they did have the money and were developed like the west they would find it a lot more difficult to mitigate the effects anyway, because geographically they are located where the effects will be worse.

So global warming is a massive problem, and it is those who are leat equiped to cope with it who will suffer the effects worse. Unfortunately, we seem to be blind to these people's needs and forget about them (and I am especially referring to the people of Africa and places like Darfur, where I suspect part of the problem is climatic.
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:01 pm

As someone who studied Natural Sciences at Cambridge and is now taking a PhD in Geology, Gordon is the closest thing to an expert on climate change that we have on DT. I believe him.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Desu i do hope your being sarcastic!
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:05 pm

Yes you should care about the enviroment.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:00 pm

I do reckon you should take care of the environment but that global warming is a complete load of bollocks, the earth warms and cools gradually anyway, look at the ice ages and inter glacial periods between the ice ages, much cooler and warmer than what the planet is now, the last ice age was around 10,000 years ago, The only real environmental damage I can see is the hole in the Ozone layer off New Zealand. CO2 emissions aren't even near as bad as all these stuck up nature freaks say, Everything absorbs and gives off CO2 anyway, the earth itself, water, trees plants, animals, even human beings. If it were true that Carbon Dioxide had such a dramatic effect we'd have all been underwater about 1 millenia after the last ice age.

Besides the Man made carbon emissions aren't that much it's Just the Americans who are making a fortune from fossil fuels, The Chinese who are trying to Industrialize to surpass America and a few other small countries that wont stop burning the damn stuff. There's obviously other alternative energy sources that are better than fossil fuel burning such as nuclear and wind power, instead of the government yapping on about Green Britain and crap how about They Practice What They preach, eh.

Another thing, STOP CUTTING DOWN THE DAMN FORESTS, how about that eh? The more trees that are cut down the less carbon that will be absorbed, see plants absorb CO2 and convert it into Oxygen, this has what's kept the balance for a while and why global warming has popped up within the last 20 or so years, too many trees have been cut down and more carbon and sulphur dioxide is free to mix into the atmosphere. It's not just carbon dioxide that screws stuff over, it's sulphur dioxide that creates acid rain, pollutes lakes and land killing even more agriculture.

A simple solution is to stop cutting down rainforests and start doing more of what has been done in Kielder, plant artificial forests and let them groooow. It's not as simple as that though, Fossil Fuel burning = money, oil = money, coal = money, alternative solutions cost alot money meaning loss of money, so what's gonna make these people stop burning the crap then? A good punch in the face that's what.

The Altantic Hurricane seasons always get ferocious every few years, the 2006 season was barely anything, the UK has been getting a WARM winter, here that? WARM and UK in the same sentence! This is resulting from Sub Tropical winds from Arizona making way to the UK's weather system, it'll stop soon enough, we just had some Siberian winds that screwed everything over, sub zero temperatures 70-100MPH winds. You can't directly blame global warming for this, there is a reason for all this and while we may not know I reckon it's just all natural, the global warming is not as severe as thought out to be, like I said it's only been a recent problem.

There's thousands of tonnes of CO2 ejected into the atmosphere everyday even without coal firing and oil burning and it never really did much until about 20 or less years ago maybes as little as maybe 10 years ago has it popped up, the earth is heating up yes but it's effects are extremely overexagurrated. I think this is on par with a natural system in the earth and the fact that the trees are dyin'. I don't care if they're ugly, people need to put a sock in it about these winds turbines, they're better for the environment, shoving them in places like the North Sea would be very beneficial, that last part was only a little rant. :)
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:32 pm

bladen dont listen to the american goverment propaganda global warming is real and is being caused by our pollution, you can pretend it doesnt mateer but wait till your grandkids are choking on fumes and burning from an almost depleted ozone layer.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:37 pm

I was under the impression the ozone layer was currently recovering becasue of the reduction in CFC usage.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Debate Forum