School

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

School

Postby Laura-Pixie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:03 pm

Why is it neccessary? How many of the things we learn at school do we use in real life? Why do we have to pass exams to prove how capable we are? I have all the skills i need to survive in life, but if I don't pass my A Levels, I will barely be able to get by in life because I'm not an acedemic person.
If they block this forum at school - I'll scream! I will!
Laura-Pixie
Advanced Member

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:12 pm

THis fact always annoys me, it's because we have grown into a supposid intelligent race, and i guess even in the animal world they have higheraki's (i can never spell that word) but we just do it based on a more "intelligenence" system.
I guess (in my view) our core design is to simply reproduce, prosper the race and die.
But humans natural aspirational values, and system of democracy has shroaded those core values.
WHERE'S THE CORE?????
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Laura-Pixie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:09 pm

Fair enough that the human race needs to be educated in order to prosper, but I don't need my head filled with algebra and tudor history to know how to reproduce, and then die! I think we're under far to much pressure to succeed at acedemic stuff, when we don't use half of it.

**Sp. Hierarchy
Laura-Pixie
Advanced Member

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:19 pm

Still you need your skills at school to get a good job and even though you may have a non- academic job you still strangely need to be academic.I understand where you are coming from,but if you have a brain you may as well use it.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Also another thing is for exsample i was thinking about the liberation of woman through the ages and how we practically starved ourselves for our rightful and respected place in society with all the suffragetes and stuff- so again in a way it's aspriations to make ourselves worth somthing!
Because sadly it's true now days if you don't have a job and a education you probably won't end up with the best choices and opportinities in life.
But in past history a womans job was in the home and simply to have lot's of kids and look after them (the whole core value thing applied more here i feel) but we wanted to change that...
So i kinda lost track of the point i was orginally trying to make- but i think what i was trying to say! Is that society has changed dramtically so we have to as well to accomidate it to our best interests.
Well that's a load of rabble hahaha :lol:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:40 pm

There is a need for schools without them many peaple would not know how to count how to read know anything about the past there would be know sex edducation. Ignorance is not bliss and causes things like chavs. Without schools children would still be working in factorys and chimbney sweeps. Things would not have moved on either because of a lack of knowledge a cure for aids a cure for cancer none of that because great scientists did not have a place to learn when they were younger.
Though school can be hard and annoying it teaches peaple science history media drama art music. Wonderful things may not be if peaple had not been at school when they were younger. Instead of growing up to be a doctor or a world leader someone could end up going into prostitution instead.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:13 pm

Jason is right. For myself, I want my life to be about more than sex, babies, and death and I believe whole-heartedly that it has the potential to be more than that. Some children in Africa would give their right arms for the kind of schooling we have, and they're denied it. Without education our lives would not be much better than theirs. Schools produce engineers, doctors, musicians, writers, plumbers, actors, chemists, artists...the list goes on. But if you realise at the age of five that you're not academic and are never going to need to know what school teaches you, perhaps you should be exempt from school...if you're a particularly enlightened five-year-old who is also a clairvoyant, that is.

We have brains for a reason; education isn't just a social concept. I've always loved to learn, even though some subjects were frustrating. I'm bad at maths, for example, but I would have rejected any proposal to let students drop out of it early. I would be ashamed of myself if I didn't at least try to increase my knowledge, as you never know where these things will come in useful.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Laura-Pixie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Katielauren2001 wrote:Still you need your skills at school to get a good job

That's what I mean, I think it's outrageous that to succeed in life you need qualifications and a good job.

Also I appreciate that we need to know how to count, write etc. but i don't think success in the world should depend on what qualifications you have. I'm probably about to sound completely full of myself but i consider myself a fairly intelligent person, but I am not very acedemic, therefore I may never be able to earn enough money to help support a family.
Laura-Pixie
Advanced Member

Postby monkey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:57 pm

it is treu taht becuase you dont do well in school does not make you stupid. very smart people can fail at school. but i like to learn. even if you fail at it school is worth it. learning isnt jsut about your grades. in school you can learn new ways of comunicating, perserverance and you get a bit of a idea abotu what the world is like so you can start preparing for whne you leav school and you have to talk to people alot more. it is better to have doen some practice at it first. as well as that schools are a good way of working out some of your strenghs and weeknessess. i did not enjoy school but i am glad i stayed till the end.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:51 am

The hidden ciriculum is a Marxist theory that says school's secondary purpose, obviously other than teaching general life knowledge, is to teach pupils their place in society and to respect authority, killing the spirits of "troublemakers" and forcing them into dull, un-fulfilling jobs, creating a system where only those who submit to the idea that the teachers are better than you and the rules are there to stay can prosper. I'm not any kind of sociology genius but I think that's a pretty sound description of what the education system is. Get over the entire cruddy entity that is school and get a good education, and all the annoying idiots and bullys will soon be cleaning your pool. Maybe thats a bad way to intemperate it but oh well, its a nice thought.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby intowiz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:23 pm

fortnox you know the truth good man, we are all worker ants ruled by facists disquised by election. We are taught from a young age to mind our place in society to know it and to not be more than they say we should be.
From the lyrics by bad religion "Do you know your place in the human race?"
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:27 pm

oh i just renembered heres a video that describes choo; quite well. its from pink floyds brick in the wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cju4wXYXFz4
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:14 pm

I am not very acedemic, therefore I may never be able to earn enough money to help support a family.

There are lots of more practical qualifications you can do. Co-ordination problems may rule out manual work (although this depends on the severity of your dyspraxia), but you can do practical courses in subjects like IT, administration, accountancy (obviously this wouldn't be the best career path for you if you're dyscalculic) and childcare, none of which require extraordinary dexterity.

a system where only those who submit to the idea that the teachers are better than you and the rules are there to stay can prosper.

I don't believe that any human being is, or should be, superior to another. However, only a very arrogant person would believe that nobody has more knowledge than thy do. It's important to listen to other people and learn from them and when a person has studied for many more years than you and has a more in-depth knowledge of the subject, then it makes sense to pay attention to what they're saying. That doesn't mean you should always agree with their opinions - only a bad teacher would try and force you to - but opinions should be based on facts, and a teacher should know more facts than a pupil. Admitting that one doesn't know everything is possibly the most valuable lesson school can teach, in the words of Socrates "The wiseset one is the one who knows he knows nothing". Teachers aren't the only people you can learn from, but a good (or even mediocre) teachers are mines of informatuion and it would be wasteful not to get out your proverbial spade and dig in.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby mattie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 pm

For myself, I want my life to be about more than sex, babies, and death and I believe whole-heartedly that it has the potential to be more than that.

I'm the same. When I was on the tablets, I went through a stage where I was overly sentimental, but thankfully that seems to have completely subsided now. :) I know most people place a lot of importance on relationships, but I often think that there must be a lot more to life than merely forming friendships/relationships with other people. Plus, I'd feel incredibly awkward at explaining my lack of experience in that area, especially when such things are really frowned upon nowadays. :? And then, I'd have to worry about stds, which are worryingly common at the moment, and also the anxiety of saying the right thing and appearing sociable. :? The cynic in me also points to statistics - the chances of staying with someone long term, especially in this age of divorce, are pretty low. :( Obviously, that would mean dealing with a break-up emotionally and accepting that I wouldn't be able to see my children very often. :? All in all, relationships aren't worth it.

I also don't really care much about friendships or meeting people either. I have one or two online friends, so I don't really feel like I'm missing out. :) I don't really want to give people the chance to mess with my emotions, particularly as they are already quite fragile. I always try to minimise my stress levels, so I feel happier. :) My parents are forcing me to stay at a club I've just joined, which I just go along with to keep them quiet. :D

I suppose I'd like to do a bit of travelling on my own, away from other people. I've never really been overseas - if you exclude day trips to France. :? I would like to see a lot more of the UK first, before moving on to more exotic destinations. :)

Other than that, I'd like to continue with my academic studies, obtain a good degree, and then train to become a chartered accountant. :) I'd also like to become an expert at scrabble and other similar word games, so that I'll be able to compete in prestigious tournaments. :D

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Joss1991 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:50 pm

the goverment needs to improve schools for everyone (especially for SPLD learners)
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Debate Forum