Free speech

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Free speech

Postby Fortnox » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Alice wrote:Apart from the fact that, lets face it, swearing makes you seem less intelegent and rather badly brought up, swearing too often makes it dificult to make an impact. The last time I used the F word, it a) shocked everyone and b) drew attention to what I was saying. Most pepole can't do anything to get that kind of effect, because they use all the swearwords they know all the time. I almost never swear, so it's easier for me to make an impact.

That is entirely cultural and hugely subjective. You usually only find that kind of behaviour in white suburban middle/upper class England, sometimes America. It is perfectly possible to use "swear" language to get across your point. Immortal Technique, a rapper, swears constantly in getting his points across and he's far more intelligent and far better at getting his point across than anyone on this board.

As for freedom of speech, it's simple- freedom is an essential part of life. Freedom is more important than comfort. There should be no restrictions.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Re: Free speech

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Alice wrote:Apart from the fact that, lets face it, swearing makes you seem less intelegent and rather badly brought up, swearing too often makes it dificult to make an impact. The last time I used the F word, it a) shocked everyone and b) drew attention to what I was saying. Most pepole can't do anything to get that kind of effect, because they use all the swearwords they know all the time. I almost never swear, so it's easier for me to make an impact.

I agree regarding the fact that used sparingly they make people shocked when you use them, which is a good thing; a secret weapon.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Previous

Return to Debate Forum