Stopping a severely disabled girl from physically growing up

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Stopping a severely disabled girl from physically growing up

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:11 pm

Those of you who read or watch the news will already be aware of this story. I found it fascinating and would be interested to know what you think about it.

Ashley is a nine year old girl who has a rare brain condition known as static encephalopathy. She has the mental ability of a three month old baby and cannot walk, talk or sit. The condition will never improve either.

Ashley's parents have decided that they want their daughter to be child-sized forever as they believe that keeping her frozen as a girl would give her a better quality of life and would give her more comfort.

They have asked doctors to remove her uterus to prevent menstruation, to limit her breast growth so that she would not experience discomfort when lying down, and give her doses of hormones to stop her growing taller.

Ashely's doctors have given the treatment the go-ahead, however this news has sparked a lot of controversy. Agnes Fletcher from the Disability Rights Commission says "This is unnecessary medical treatment, to deal with what is essentially a social problem: the poverty and lack of support faced by families with disabled children in both US and Britain."

Do you think giving Ashley treatment to stop her from going through puberty is acceptable or not?
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:28 pm

It is rather unusual but the Pinkparrot has heard this story as she caught some of the news this morning. :lol:

I agree with stopping menstruation (oh so painful) but I think that a few eggs should be frozen in case she ever wants children.

But I don't think I agree with stopping her growth - she deserves to grow to full size and deserves the strength of an adult body. Why should Ashley be frozen as a child? I can't see any reason for that. How does the body size affect comfort?
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:51 pm

madame_tigre wrote:Ashley is a nine year old girl who has a rare brain condition known as static encephalopathy. She has the mental ability of a three month old baby and cannot walk, talk or sit. The condition will never improve either.

Just because they think it will never improve, doesn't mean it won't - I think miracles do happen, and who knows, they could create a treatment that means she could lead a normal life in the future, so I don't think they should stop her growing.

pinkparrot wrote: I agree with stopping menstruation (oh so painful) but I think that a few eggs should be frozen in case she ever wants children.

But I don't think I agree with stopping her growth - she deserves to grow to full size and deserves the strength of an adult body. Why should Ashley be frozen as a child? I can't see any reason for that. How does the body size affect comfort?

I agree with PP here.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 pm

They will remove her womb. Whether or not they freeze her eggs, she will be unable to have children. I think, however, it is unlikely she will ever be able to express a wish to have children, since she is incapable of speaking or writing.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:20 pm

something my mum has just pointed out - what happens when her parents die?
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:26 pm

She will need full-time professional carers, but she would need those anyway.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:35 pm

I can sympathise with her parents and what they're trying to do, but I am doubtful about such a drastic modification of a child's body. I will need to give this a lot more thought.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:45 am

Are they sure that it is afe?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Dork_Lord » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:28 pm

How would normal ageing affect her after this surgery? Would she still grow old and die like everyone else or does the not going through puberty somehow affect the ageing process.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Katielauren2001 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:11 pm

It is apalling how her parents could do this.She will die but she will never age,look like a 9 year old all her life even when she dies.This other boy who had the same condition began to walk - it was a miracle! How to her parents know that a miracle won't happen and that someday she may be able to walk, talk and live a normal live.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Return to Debate Forum