Ugly Betty-Is It Influencing Bullying?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Is 'Ugly Betty' influencing bullying?

Yes
10%
No
25%
Don't know
40%
Don't care
25%

Total votes : 20

Ugly Betty-Is It Influencing Bullying?

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:14 pm

This new TV programme may be popular... but is it for those with glasses and braces?
I have glasses and braces,and after the TV show was launched I began getting a little bullied which has now got worse.Is it really funny to laugh at someones expense?

I think it is rather ridiculous,but even if they put a stop to the show no-one is going to stop calling people names for having glasses and braces.
Just because you aren't stick thin,wear the most fashionable clothes,have glasses and wear braces you are classes as a 'geek'.No one seems to care that all of us are upset by what the show has done.

They may have called you a geek before, but to be classed as 'Ugly Betty' is truly the most upsetting thing anyone could ever say...

What do you think?
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 pm

I've never seen the show, but I can gather from the information you've said that it's a mock of the system where a girl is treated better for being paper thin and being 'perfect' I imagine the show is showing how fake this is.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:03 pm

I've seen the show. It isn't intended to make fun of people for how they look. It's satirising the fashion industry and its shalllowness.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:25 pm

Mm, but still 'Ugly Betty' is being bullied because of her looks.I suppose it also has to do about the fashion industury.She is laughed at and taken advantage of I can't understand how anyone can like this show.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 am

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:I've seen the show. It isn't intended to make fun of people for how they look. It's satirising the fashion industry and its shalllowness.

Yeah, that's why I like it. I don't think it's supposed to be offensive in any way. A lot of people who love it feel as if they can identify with Betty I think, but I don't think it promotes bullying intentionally. In fact, a lot of the people who bully her don't get what they want. They don't get to feel loved or appreciated as much as she does. Betty is comfortable in her skin and they show that she's a strong person. That's why people like the show. It's not because she gets bullied. It's because she's way better than anyone who bullies her and she is successful in a world that bullies her. She's got a family that loves her just the way she is and she's got a boss that has grown to like her. She has a boyfriend and a successful job. She might be bullied, but she's strong and she's sensitive. She cares what others think, but it doesn't stop her from being herself. I think people think its funny because her coworkers (excluding Daniel) are so shallow. Most people that I've talked to on Facebook about it are saddened by the way she is bullied, but like the show because of the reasons above. That's the way I am. Most people who watch it aren't the ones that go out and actually bullying other people from my understanding. I definitely don't do that and I feel sad that you have been bullied because of it Katie. Those people are just being ignorant.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby cookie-monster » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:51 pm

its what people are like now, i got picked on for having long hair and now i've cut it everyones nice to me, its too fake
cookie-monster
Mega Poster

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:21 pm

There seems to be a thing over people telling people with long hair to cut it. I've met several girls who have done that and they've regretted it afterwards. For goodness' sake, if you have long hair and people tell you to cut it, think before you do it.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:35 pm

I don't think it influences bullying any more than a show like "Family Matters" (with the Erkel handicapped character) or the movie "Forrest Gump." People have called me stupid things from "Forrest Gump" and it's not right, but that's not all the film's fault. I don't think the film intended for people to be teasing me by saying, "Run, Forrest, Run" in a mean way.

As long as there are people there will be bullying.
I'm sorry to say it, but there will because people hate on eachother all the time. There will always be stereotypes of people like Forrest Gump or Jack from Will and Grace. But that doesn't mean we have to believe those stereotypes. We don't have to call someone gay just because they act like Jack or we don't have to make fun of someone just because they run a different way. There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, about liking a show like Ugly Betty or Will and Grace as long as you put stereotypes into perspective and you don't use the show's lines/characters to make fun of others.

And you can keep your hair long if you want to. I mean, it's your hair. Nobody should be able to tell you how you should cut your hair.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:02 pm

Check out Be Ugly 07 and abc.com to learn more about what the show is trying to say about society.

http://www.beugly07.com/

http://abc.go.com/primetime/uglybetty/index.html
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks Shanna,
I so get it now. :)
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:00 am

Katielauren2001 wrote:Thanks Shanna,
I so get it now. :)

You're welcome. :D
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:53 pm

don't do things ya don't whant to such as cuting ya hire just so peeps will like ya nahhhhh no point do what ya wana do, not for outher peeps benifit
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:45 am

eastlondonluke wrote:don't do things ya don't whant to such as cuting ya hire just so peeps will like ya nahhhhh no point do what ya wana do, not for outher peeps benifit

Yup, I think that's the theme of the show. Betty does what she wants and dresses how she wants and she really doesn't care what others think of her. If people don't like you for who you are then they don't deserve your friendship. If someone is asking you to change to be their friend, they're not worth it.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum