How would you personally define 'a true friend'

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

How would you personally define 'a true friend'

Postby tears_on_a_pillow » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:53 pm

For me I would have to say, someone that understands me, or at least tries their best to, a unspoken bond so that in times of uncomfortable silence it isn't uncomfortable, someone you can phone, email etc nomatter what time it is, knowing their voice will reasure you, someone to nurture you, to praise the positives you do, and to help motivate you in a productive and positive way when negatives occur, somoene that doesn't judge you in any way, tries their best to do what they think is right for you, you may live a distance from each other, but that distance is irelavant as it can remain unspoken, a person who wants to help you become the person you have always dreamt of becoming, someone that enables you to see in yourself what they see within you, someone to laugh with, to cry with, and much much more.

x
tears_on_a_pillow
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby monkey » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:45 am

i think a ture rfiend is some one that can be trusted no matter what.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:43 pm

Someone who doesn't abandon you.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby parnassus » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Friendship is not what you get but also what you give. I am slowly (and painfully) learning that it is possible to be a friend to someone who does not think much of you and is never anything more than indifferent. True friendship is what inspires or challenges you to give the most.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:40 am

I think that a true friend is somone who wouldnt mind if you turned up on thier doorstep at 3 oclock in the morning in a struken stuper, lol!
I think it's somone who you can comfterbally be at your worst with, and subcionsously feel your best. And they know you to the 'T' and know instantly when somthings wroung even when you insist your fine :lol:
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:51 pm

parnassus wrote:Friendship is not what you get but also what you give. I am slowly (and painfully) learning that it is possible to be a friend to someone who does not think much of you and is never anything more than indifferent. True friendship is what inspires or challenges you to give the most.

Vicky is right. A true friend is a person who brings out the best in you. Sometimes that means being a friend to someone who is not friendly back, but often it works both ways.

This is what I love about DT. We all bring out the best in each other.

Here are some interesting websites on the philosophy of friendship.

http://www.monksofadoration.org/friendsh.html This is lovely, although I am confused as to why parents are supposedly closer to God than children. :S

http://www.mala.bc.ca/~mcneil/lec19c.htm
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:43 am

I think a true freind is someone who accepts you. Someone who knows all your bad qualities but still wants to know you. Probably someone you could really hurt and they'd forgive you if you really need them too, but you don't upset them deliberatly, because freindship has to have mutual respect.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:32 pm

I think a true friend is someone who likes you for you and never takes advantage of you.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:25 pm

Someone who likes you for all your quirks. Someone who likes you even when you make a mistake. Someone who will stand by you through the thick and the thin. Someone who loves you for who you are and who you want to be. Someone who helps you along the road of life and makes sure you get on the right track even when you don't want to be on the right track. They aren't fake. They don't try to change you.

"Good friends are one of life's blessings. Don't give 'em up without a fight."--Rosie O'Donnell as Ole Gully in the film "Harriet The Spy."
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:36 pm

I would say dat a proper frend is some dat sticks by you,suports you and understands you but i would say whether that most frends of today dont understand eachother at all infact i would say dat alot of frends arnt evern true frends atall most youth these days are just out for demselvs and what they can get.
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:42 pm

im lucky i have a group of friends who all get each other. even though weve all got our own friend we all know that watever happens weve got our inner circle of geeks and freaks.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Joss1991 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:35 pm

someone that like you for who you are and doesnt try and change you.
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Re: How would you personally define 'a true friend'

Postby Chappuis » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:00 am

Thank for info / Someone who will stand by you through the thick and the thin Royal1688
Gclub Man Forever young
Chappuis

Return to Debate Forum