Dogs vs. Cats

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you like cats or dogs better?

Cats are better
43%
Dogs are better
34%
No opinion
No votes
Both are equal for me
23%

Total votes : 53

Postby intowiz » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:33 pm

ive got a white boxar
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Dogs vs. Cats

Postby Xenavire » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:06 am

Reviving this... I love cats <3
They are smarter than dogs (normally) but are too independant to be taught tricks most of the time...

I have had soo many cats in my life, thank god I am not allergic... If I had kids who were allergic it would break my heart. And as for cats being evil? Thats all just because they are suspicious of people... If a cat likes you, its can be a little bit TOO affectionae XD (eg my friends cats love me... but I have a life outside of being a warm lap with a pat function)
My family has 4 cats, and most of my friends have a few cats, but where I live I am not allwed any T_T
(D= I just had to get rid of an enormous spider... I dont know where it came from, theres no spiderwebs in my room... well it will be happier outside anyway... more food for it XP)

but I have had one cat that puts ANY dog to shame for how sweet and caring it was... this cat knew when you were depressed and would come and sit on your lap and purr, even if you didnt pat it, and if you were sick in bed, it would sleep on your pillow beside you, and clean you now and then... I miss that cat, he was so sweet... the best cat I ever had...

Cats rule, dogs drool (quoted from cats and dogs the movie I believe... correct me if I am wrong)

BTW A cat would NOT try to eat you in your sleep UNLESS you keep it locked inside 24/7... meaning it would sooner take its revenge by leaving you a fresh pile in your favourite shoes... and you would desere it... Cats are quite capable hunters, and can quite happily sneak into other peoples yards and "borrow" food off thier pets.

Cats can be more loyal than dogs actually... some cats freak out completely if you are gone too long, where a dog is often happy with any company...

and dogs do smell a lot of the time, why do they insist on rolling in.... ahem.

Cats are simply amazing... and if you dont believe me, go watch some "cat bloopers" on youtube (LOLcats)... a few of those are forced I think, but most I hve seen cats do many MANY times without anyone being mean and making them do it... These were just lucky enouh to get caught on tape =D

Theres not much you can do for LOLdogs though... I mean they just... arent funny D=

GOOOOOO CATS! (and big cats rule... Clouded leopard <3)
My name is Merlin... what more need I say?
Xenavire
Super Poster

Postby k9ruby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Everyone knows that dogs are cuter, smarter, more loyal and have the best cuddles! :lol:
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Xenavire » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:00 pm

Then why does your user title say CATS pajamas? :wink:

I kinda have a problem with having my face licked by a dog though, maybe thats why I am not keen on them... Touchy stuff.... cats are fine cause they are smaller and more often lick/chew my fingers... its cute ^^
Xenavire
Super Poster

Postby Qasim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:05 pm

I always thought it would be a 50/50 gamble getting a cat. Either he/she would love you or ignore you and just use you for food, which is what my cousins cat does.

There's a reason why the dog is called man's best friend. Because no matter what they are always a loyal companion :wink:
Qasim
Mega Poster

Postby Xenavire » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 am

Well you might think hey are your best friend, but its a common misconception about cats... They are incredibly loyal unless you give them a reason not to be. Thats why I adore cats so much, because I can be friends with any cat that I meet without worrying that they will want to follow me home... Unlike with dogs where I have had them want to take a walk wih me just because I was leaving =P

And as for using you just for food? Cats sometimes do, but rarely, and if a visitor doesnt see a cat being afecionate, its beause cats are so reserved as a whole... they dont just jump into anyones lap and expect pats, they often take thier time.
Dogs however (small ones at least) will try to claim your lap as if it were thier territory =P

I think cats are more dignified too... But it is all personal preference... if you have had good experiences with dogs and not with cats, the dogs sense you being friendly, whle the cats sense a bit of hosility... can you blame them for seeming more/less friendly to some people?

Someimes one badly treated cat who lashes out can leave a person fearing cats for quite some time (I was so upset learning my friend was scared of cats.. even kittens... cats rarely hurt anyone, just like dogs... I tried to show her how cuddly cats could be but... *sigh* )

Erm... sorry for badgering like this, but I am a little TOO cat crazy... (even this one cat who would always stand on my tender parts <<)

CATS ROCK!
Xenavire
Super Poster

Postby madame_tigre » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Cats all the way! :D
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 pm

You cannot say dogs are more loyal and cats are disloyal. It completely depends on the breed, behavioural traits and the way the owners treat and raise that animal. Whilst our pets have gone through the domestication process, they are still related from the wolves that roamed America and Europe and the African wildcats which roamed the cornfields of Ancient Egypt. They can turn on you at any point.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Xenavire » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Whether or not they turn n you is generally a case of nature vs nurture...

But I dont mind the viscious cats either... I love all cats, and that wont change... And as for if they did turn on us... A large dog is easily more frightening than your average cat.

I mean, really... Who would you rather have go evil? Mr Bigglesworth, Sylvester, and Garfield
(sorry for the cartoon references, I am tired) or Lassie, Beethoven and Snoopy?

Size does count for something... So maybe a larger cat would be more nasty than a miniature poodle... But largely dogs could do more damage.
(Note I am talking about domesticated animals, not big cats like lions, or canines like wolves)

And all our pets are generally quite cuddly...

And besides... look how big cats are often shown in movies and stories and how wolves are (cousins of our pets...)... Lion king? And what about little red riding hood?

Although theres movies like cats and dogs where cats are the bad guys, most wild dogs (or cousins lie wolves) come off loooking a lot worse...

Err... well I lost my point, it must be in there somewhere... =3

Cats may not be clearly superior, but at least they will have a hard time ripping out your throat XP...
So dont be scared of them people... They likes hugs <3... and go watch lolcats XD

Wow I rant a lot about cats XD
Xenavire
Super Poster

Postby Creative » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:05 pm

I like cats best. My cat is called Yum Yum. I like some dogs but I wouldn't want to have one.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby parnassus » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Xenavire wrote:Well you might think hey are your best friend, but its a common misconception about cats... They are incredibly loyal unless you give them a reason not to be. Thats why I adore cats so much, because I can be friends with any cat that I meet without worrying that they will want to follow me home...

That is not my experience with cats. The ones in my area must have established a special Vicky-stalking committee, because whenever I go by they come after me as though I'm the Pied Piper of Hamelin or somebody. One followed me from the bus stop to my workplace once, a walk of about twenty minutes that takes you along a succession of narrow country lanes. I was frightened that it would get run over by a car or menaced by a sheep. It sat outside disconsolately for a while, and then it vanished. I thought it had gone home...until my students asked me to take them to the football pitch, when it suddenly materialised again and wrapped itself lovingly round my legs.

I love cats, but this is taking things a little too far
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:57 pm

My experiences with cats are varied. Some of them look at me as if I have just fallen out of a dustbin, some of them I am allergic to and I am very fond of a particular one.

But dogs...no.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Xenavire » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:00 am

Parnassus.... Thats a blessing. Your own cat bodygaurd, braver than 50 mice!

I wish I had cats that liked me that much...
I mean they adore me and sit on me etc... but walk me to a bus or something?

You sure you didnt have catnip in your pocket?

I just remembered one time I heard a cat meowing... I couldnt see a cat so I followed the meows... And hear sad meows from a bush. I couldnt figure t out until I lifted up the bottom of the bush... it hd grown all funny and it had brown a big lip sort of thing... And underneath was a poor cat... it had obviously gotten trapped... I would hate to think what would have happened if I hadnt found the poor thing D=... I mean the meows were kinda quiet... Althouh I think I am a little deaf...

But I felt really good rescuing that cat ^^
Xenavire
Super Poster

Postby mysticalwater » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Don't hate me for this but i'd rather not have either. I have a dog and it chews everything but all my friends with cats get scratched by them. I am too lazy to look after pets.
mysticalwater
Super Poster

Postby Alice » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:37 pm

It would be irresponsible for me to have a pet. I can't even look after a plant propperly.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum