An Inconvenient Truth--the debate on Global Warming

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you believe that global warming is destroying our planet?

Yes.
73%
No.
13%
Not sure.
7%
Don't care.
7%

Total votes : 15

An Inconvenient Truth--the debate on Global Warming

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:24 am

This is for people to debate about global warming and to suggest ways we can help our planet regardless of which way you stand on the issue. Also, it is a forum to debate the movie, An Inconvenient Truth, which just won two Academy Awards last Sunday. Please only debate about the FILM if you have seen it. Anyone can debate on the general issue.

I personally believe that there is global warming taking effect on our planet. I will explain in more depth later as I have to get on with my homework.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:09 am

The word destroying in the title can be a bit misleading. I personally believe that the climate has changes slightly of late, at least where I live and it seems to be the case according to research that the worlds climate is changing. The world will survive global warming, but it does spell disaster for certain areas, particularly as climate change can affect crop yeilds and cause famine. I'm not sure of the cause, it could be a natural change we've only started to notice or caused by our emissions. I think we'll have to do something about global warming now, or at least in the near future.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:41 pm

Global warming's happened for billions of years, through several different kinds of means, the temperatures a few million, even thousands of years ago were hotter. I just reckon man's playing their part but not a significant part but partially screwing over the cycle.

Temperatures will rise naturally, we'll see changes apart from a nice tan, we'll see stuff like hornets in our garden and tropical plants too. Coal firing and oil burning is speeding it up in some ways, but it can be stopped.

Global warming isn't destroying the planet, basically man is.
It is a massive hype though, they're (people) treating it as if it's the apocalypse.

These reports are based on the scenario of "If this keeps up this will happen"
I do support care for the environment and cutting down of CO2 emissions but some of the stuff is out of hand.

It's been proven man can affect the planet in a bad way, We all made a god damn hole in the O-zone off Australia from CFC gases!
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:45 pm

take into account its not just global warming destroying the planet but it is an un natural global warming caused by our waste so that we can live comfortably. Once we get to our grandchildren taking over running the planet i think the world will not be a comfortable place. we need to stop our part in global warming now.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:50 pm

I don't mean to sound terrible and mean but it is the Americans that are making the largest CO2 contributions in global warming, China, Indiea are also responsible but the latter cannot afford alternative energy sources.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:18 pm

Bladen wrote:I don't mean to sound terrible and mean but it is the Americans that are making the largest CO2 contributions in global warming, China, Indiea are also responsible but the latter cannot afford alternative energy sources.

Well maybe if Al Gore had won the 2000 elections we wouldn't be spending all our money on the stupid war and we'd be spending more on saving the environment. President Bush said he cares about the environment. What exactly does he care about? I mean, I'm doing stuff to help out with the environment, but I can't make the car industry change to alternative fuels. Bush can. He can say: You must change and have alternative fuels, but he isn't. He can say "build more subways." but he isn't.

I agree, America is being stupid (as usual--it's kind of embarrassing how stupid America is), but if we just had more subways and if we just had less SUVs it would cut down on pollution a LOT. Also, if people would start believing that we need to save the environment then we'd get a lot more done. I hate it when people are like "oh, we don't need to save the environment...humans are going to live forever...we're the best..." that kind of thing. Sometimes I wish I didn't live here, but I think that I need to keep living here to help make the changes that need to be made. If everybody leaves, there won't be any change. Maybe we just "need to wake up" like the song from the movie says.

Everyone in America should see this movie. I don't care if you hate Al Gore. See it. It's not about what side of the political spectrum you are on. It's about the planet and how everyone needs to work together to save it.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:36 pm

Day after tomorrow? Alice Cooper and ROnnie James Dio were presidential candidates at one point. I bet even they could run America better, especially Alice Cooper, the guy has proven he has alot of brains in his head, political is in there too.

Bush says global warming is a myth though! Can anyone be that idiotic?
One major contributor to polution is factories, burning petrol, coal and all that. There's been word of a new way for coal firing by trapping wasted carbon underground.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:36 pm

Bladen wrote:Day after tomorrow? Alice Cooper and ROnnie James Dio were presidential candidates at one point. I bet even they could run America better, especially Alice Cooper, the guy has proven he has alot of brains in his head, political is in there too.

Bush says global warming is a myth though! Can anyone be that idiotic?
One major contributor to polution is factories, burning petrol, coal and all that. There's been word of a new way for coal firing by trapping wasted carbon underground.

From my knowledge quite a few people in his party think that it's a myth. I think they do that just because they think they own the world or something. Republicans tend to be less caring about the environment anyway because they are fans of the idea that "Man is better than any other animal and certainly man will exist forever!" I'm not trying to generalize on republicans, I'm just basing the assumption on previous encounters with them. In case you can't tell, I'm a democrat. :D
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:05 am

I tried to change the poll question to Do you believe that people are causing global warming to destroy the planet? but I couldn't so it's going to stay the way it was.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:25 pm

There is too much evidence supporting global warming for it to be dismissed as a myth.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:50 am

Tell you something, during the Bronze Age (as early as 3000 years ago) the climate was about 3-4 degrees hotter. Even if we stop carbon emissions you can't stop global warming, it's just one of those things. It's natural but there are some push and pull factors from economic sources such as coal firing and oil burning on the hassle we're in now.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:12 am

I believe it. Like it or not, the world will be destroyed someday. The sun can't live that long and if you believe in God you know the world will be destroyed by Him someday.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:35 pm

I agree,the Earth is already damaged so much,it will eventually be destroyed.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dork_Lord » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 pm

There is no feasible method by which humans could destroy the earth. What we could do is pollute to such an extent that the climate will be damaged and therefore less favourable agricultural conditions will mean a large reduction in the population of humanity in the world. The future is looking better recently because of the focus on global warming in the public opinion, and a large amount of environmental damage has been stopped, for example not using CFC's has resulted in a minor recovery of the ozone layer recently. I think that with reallocating power to nuclear production and improved effieciency, science can help us stop the looming threat of global warming.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:02 am

Yes, I agree science could help, but I don't think that nuclear power is the answer exactly. Doesn't that pollute the air too? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe windmill farms for power or solar power?
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum