Nuclear Power? Yes or No

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Is nuclear power a good thing?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes : 19

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Hydroelectric is the best form of renewable energy that's not dangerous, I think we should build lots more dams.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:57 pm

THIS IS TURNING INTO A BIT OF A SCIENCE LESSON :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:21 pm

yes dan but that would mean flooding more land
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Syrons » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:34 pm

I know most people want our country to be like holland, smoke drugs, girls in windows, hardly any laws so and so but having damns and flooding our country by doing so is getting pretty exteme :D , We may as well all wear clogs to get ready for the transition :P
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby intowiz » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:19 pm

i wouldnt mind england being more like amsterdam.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:49 pm

Hydroelectricity isn't a bad form of power, I saw an impressive dam and plant which supplies enough energy for a small town, (it powers dumfries when on). However the amount of power is quite good enough for the land lost to flooding.

Personally I think nuclear power is the way to go, if we bury the nuclear waste deep, (I.E down some deep mine shafts or somewhere), and put safety measures in to avoid catastrophic accidents, as most renewable sources do not provide nearly enough power.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Page » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:18 am

Nuclear is the power source of the future. Hydrogen has potential and is by far the cleanest possible fuel (the only byproduct is pure water) but true efficiency is still several decades away.

Chernobyl was an unfortunate event, but it was caused by negligence and faulty, outdated soviet equipment. There is a risk of contamination (the Chernobyl area will not be 100% clean for another 900 years) but modern technology (such as pebble-bed style reactors) makes that risk a lot lower.

Nuclear waste is a concern, but it can be reprocessed back into fuel with modern equipment (France has been doing that for some time in their nuclear program). There is also the option of dropping irreclaimable waste into a tectonic subduction zone where it will eventually be pulled down into the mantle.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby intowiz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:26 am

i am not down nwith digging waste
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Henri » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Safe, efficiently run nuclear power stations look set to be immensely beneficial to this country, and to the whole world. We are slightly backward at present, due to the fact that we do not have them, when countries such as France, Germany, Austria and Italy are all making use of nuclear power, without the commonly associated negative repercussions.

The likelyhood of another Chernobyl disaster is slim to nil. As Dan stated, the technology has improved considerably, thus creating a range of possibilities in regard to the utilization of nuclear power.
Henri
Forum Master

Previous

Return to Debate Forum