The Best Languages To Learn

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

The best language to learn is...?

French
15%
German
10%
Spanish
5%
Italian
5%
Portugese
No votes
Latin
10%
Gaelic
No votes
Other
20%
All of them!
15%
I can't choose there are too many!!
20%

Total votes : 20

The Best Languages To Learn

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:47 pm

What are the best languages to learn?? We all have our different opinions about the languages.We learn them at school or college or university.At some point we will all go or are attending at the moment.Or have you learned them from family or by yourself.

Some people don't always choose the same languages and it sometimes depends where you come from,or where you have lived.But I really want to know your opinion!
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:08 pm

French isn't really much fun to learn, German's not really that great, Spanish is brilliant but cliche as in, learned too much.

As far as the best on that list goes Latin wins for me.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby pinkparrot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:39 pm

For some reason French sticks in my head.
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Danni » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:45 pm

I should have selected other- I want to learn Sammieish better (the language my daughter speaks- it's some English words with a load of gobbledegook that makes sense to her).

From the list though, I couldn't choose.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Charmbracelets » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:48 pm

Although I like French and it was one of my best subjects in school (I got an A in it at GCSE despite actually only having 18 months of proper teaching), I voted Other because I'm really keen on learning Mandarin and Cantonese as those languages both really fascinate me-I guess it's a consequence of having so many Chinese friends at school-I always found them a lot more accepting of my eccentricity than the others but that might just be my experience. I would also like to learn Swahili because the guy I like-his parents speak it and it sounds like a beautiful language. They are from Uganda and also speak Luganda so that would be cool to learn too. Also my stepbrother and stepsister on my dads side are half Kuwaiti so I might end up learning Arabic from them in the future.
Charmbracelets

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:08 pm

A knowledge of Latin makes it much easier to master other European languages. It teaches you to approach grammatical patterns in a very clear and logical way and also makes learning the vocabulary for other languages so much easier, as Latin has heavily influenced the linguistic evolution of Europe. That's my pick. :)
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Bladen » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:29 pm

Latin is amazing, to me, for the sole reason of the history the language contains, the knowledge you can get from understanding it is probably immense.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby carebear15 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:57 am

American sign Language
carebear15
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Everyone has said a lot of good languages. Hmm.. Mandarin isn't that awfully hard to learn?
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Katielauren2001 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Oh yeah I think I want to learn Mandarin and Gaelic, they are both great languages to learn.I think Gaelic is quite easy (I think it's a bit like German) and Mandarin (ooh,that'll be very hard but I'll give it a go)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Charmbracelets » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Yeah Mandarin is meant to be difficult to learn. I struggle with Chinese writing-I had a Chinese roommate and she and her sister attempted to teach me how to write in Chinese but I found it just demanded too much manual dexterity for me-it was a shame because I find Chinese handwriting so beautiful just to look at! I don't know about speaking though-I already know tiny bits of Cantonese but they are really random and nowhere near enough for me to get by!
Charmbracelets

Postby parnassus » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:08 pm

Latin is amazing, to me, for the sole reason of the history the language contains, the knowledge you can get from understanding it is probably immense.

Are you learning Latin? I only took it up to GCSE level, but from October Esther is going to be studying it at university. I expect she could tell you which books are best, etc. You should also sign up for Virtual Rome: http://www.vroma.org/

I don't know about speaking though-I already know tiny bits of Cantonese but they are really random and nowhere near enough for me to get by!

I had Cantonese roommates at boarding school. :) I know how to say "The lion is eating sweetcorn" and "The lion is walking up the stairs". Oh, and "Congratulations".
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:42 pm

I have to say vicky, there is only one situation where you would need to say "The lion is walking up the stairs" in cantonese and it involves a lion. :D . Not that it would help a great deal in that situation.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:47 pm

parnassus wrote:

Are you learning Latin? I only took it up to GCSE level, but from October Esther is going to be studying it at university. I expect she could tell you which books are best, etc. You should also sign up for Virtual Rome: http://www.vroma.org/

I don't know about speaking though-I already know tiny bits of Cantonese but they are really random and nowhere near enough for me to get by!

I had Cantonese roommates at boarding school. :) I know how to say "The lion is eating sweetcorn" and "The lion is walking up the stairs". Oh, and "Congratulations".
I'm planning to learn it as a GCSE next year, a couple of the ladies from my archaeology class are in it, when I found out they were going on a trip to pompeii I almost shouted the s word in despair, I have always wanted to go to pompeii, ever since I learned about it when I was 4.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:35 am

when I found out they were going on a trip to pompeii I almost shouted the s word in despair, I have always wanted to go to pompeii

No need to despair; you'll still get the chance to go in the future. Flights to Italy aren't that expensive if you book at the right time. If you save up hard for a few years, you could probably manage the trip.
parnassus
Site Admin

Next

Return to Debate Forum