the smaking bill

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

do you agree or disagree with teh smaking bill

i agree with the smaking bill. parents should never be aloud to smake ther children
23%
i disagree i think parents should have the right to use smakinga sa punishemtn
32%
i dont know
45%

Total votes : 22

the smaking bill

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:17 am

in new zealand at the meoment the governemtn is trying to push through a law that would stop parents being able to smack there children.

do you think that is a good thing. or a bad thing.

i dont agree. i think parents shoudl have a choice to ither smack thre children or not.

they say that this should help stop child abuse. btu i dont think it will.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:09 pm

I don't know. I was smacked as a child, and it didn't do me any harm - it served as a short sharp shock when I was being rude. My parents didn't smack me that often; only when I had done something they considered to be very bad. I think it was a normal part of discipline.

But there is a fine line between smacking and really hitting a child. I've seen parents whack their children round the head, which is not only very painful for the child but also extremely dangerous. It would be very easy for the child to grow up to accept this as normal and for the parents to defend their cruelty as legitimate smacking.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 pm

I don't think it'd right, a child can grow up being smacked for disipline and be violent and smack when they are older.It can cause the child to be extremely vunerable to be smacked day in and day out.So I agree,you should never hit a child.They do not deserve it.. why can't parent's sit their child down and tell them to to go to a ' naughty corner' or something like that when a child does wrong?!? Some parent's don't have the patience or skills to look after a child,and they should not smack children.I'm rambling now :oops:
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Danni » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:24 pm

I occasionally give Sammie a sharp tap on her hand to get her to stop doing something dangerous (like running towards the road or playing with the electric switches) when there isn't the time for explanations. For most things though, being ignored or put in her bedroom works.

As for the law- I don't know. I was smacked as a child, which fair enough can be a good form of discipline, but I was also whacked by my parents and that wasn't good. To be honest, smacking never worked on me- I'd just be more careful not to get caught.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:18 pm

A small tap is okay but anything else is quite bad.The law has stated now (as my sister knows and has studied this is in her psychology) your not allowed to hit children on the head or anywhere else for a matter of fact.Over time the law has changed,and this is not allowed anymore.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby monkey » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:14 pm

when asked if it was a total ban on smaking the governemtn said yes. 80 percent of new zealanders disagree with te bill. the government have said now that they will not stop parents from giving a small smake to the bottom but the police say they will investaget every insident that gets reported to tehm. i think if there is so much investagation going into all these good parents who are doing no halm, it will mean less resorsses to find and stop real chidl abuse.
monkey
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Danni » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:47 pm

In Scotland it is illegal, but it isn't in England.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:53 am

Danni wrote:In Scotland it is illegal, but it isn't in England.

I didn't know that, thats quite an interesting fact.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby nicole » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:07 pm

I disagree with smacking children it may work in situations that you dont have time to explain but not in situations that there is time
Last edited by nicole on Mon May 14, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicole
Forum Master

Postby intowiz » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:45 pm

yer but smacking and hitting are two tottaly different things.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby nicole » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:34 pm

intowiz wrote:yer but smacking and hitting are two tottaly different things.

Ya, I gess so
nicole
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:42 am

I think smacking a child is bad to do all the time, but if they do something serious/dangerous, it may be the best option.

As a side note: I think this posotive parenting thing is silly, only praising the child for good behaviour and ignoring them when they are bad. I think praise and punishment should be doled out in fairly equal mesures.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:46 pm

I don't like the idea of smacking children. I don't believe that it teaches them right from wrong - only that physical punishment is acceptable when someone is irritating you. If you smacked an adult you could be imprisioned. However I do think a light tap or physically pulling a child back when they're in danger is necessary.

Even though I don't agree with smacking as a necessary form of punishment I do think that a lot of very good parents have smacked their children. I have been smacked (occasionally) by both of my parents. I think that there have been a couple of times when I've just driven them crazy and they have just exploded. I don't think they were right for doing this; I think there are other ways of handling anger however I'm not a parent of a young child and I appreciate it must be tough at times.

So, I don't know.
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:10 am

My parents gave me a spanking one time and I think they are very good parents. Sometimes parents just lose their cool when they've had a horrible day and it's not right to hit a child, but they make mistakes too. I'm not really sure where I am on the issue. It would never pass in the U.S. Too many people use corporal punishment (and some really rely on it a lot) for it to pass.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Chinagirl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:07 pm

i have been smacked by my parents. it didnt work, only made me fear and resent my parents
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Debate Forum