Belief-O-Matic

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby Joss1991 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:21 pm

Theravada Buddhism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (97%)
3. Secular Humanism (96%)
4. Liberal Quakers (83%)
5. Nontheist (77%)
6. Mahayana Buddhism (61%)
7. Orthodox Quaker (61%)
8. Taoism (61%)
9. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (60%)
10. Neo-Pagan (57%)
11. New Age (56%)
12. Jainism (48%)
13. New Thought (48%)
14. Scientology (46%)
15. Bahá'í Faith (45%)
16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (41%)
17. Reform Judaism (38%)
18. Sikhism (33%)
19. Hinduism (33%)
20. Seventh Day Adventist (30%)
21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (30%)
22. Islam (27%)
23. Orthodox Judaism (27%)
24. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (25%)
25. Jehovah's Witness (25%)
26. Eastern Orthodox (17%)
27. Roman Catholic (17%)

similar to last time i took this test i think.
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby nicole » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:38 pm

I got:
1.Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day saints 100%
2.Libreal Quakers 92%
3.Mainland to Liberal Christian Protestants 88%
4.Orthodox Quaker 86%
5.Unitarian Universalism 85%
6.Jehovah's Witness 83%
7.Baha'i faith 76%
8.Sikhism 76%
9.Mainline to conservative Christian/Protestant 72%
10.Orthodox Judaism 66%
11.Reform Judaism 65%
12.Seventh Day Adventist 61%
13.Mahayana Buddhism 60%
14.Hinduism 60%
15.Islam 58%
16.Jainism 57%
17.Neo-Pagan 56%
18.Taoism 56%
19.Theravada Buddhism 56%
20.Eastern Orthodox 55%
21.Roman Catholic 55%
22.Christian Science (church of christ, scientist) 53%
23.Secualar Humanism 52%
24.New Age 46%
25.New thought 46%
26.Scientology 37%
27.Nontheist 30%

This might not be 100% accurate because I didnt understand some of the words.
nicole
Forum Master

Postby intowiz » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:03 pm

well aparently your a mormon
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:34 pm

jason me and you are Unitarian Universalism???????
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

results

Postby k9ruby » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Mine!

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (91%)
3. Liberal Quakers (75%)
4. Nontheist (72%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (68%)
6. Neo-Pagan (67%)
7. Theravada Buddhism (61%)
8. New Age (58%)
9. Reform Judaism (54%)
10. Scientology (48%)
11. Taoism (48%)
12. New Thought (46%)
13. Mahayana Buddhism (40%)
14. Orthodox Quaker (40%)
15. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (39%)
16. Sikhism (33%)
17. Bahá'í Faith (32%)
18. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (22%)
19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (22%)
20. Islam (21%)
21. Jainism (21%)
22. Orthodox Judaism (21%)
23. Eastern Orthodox (12%)
24. Roman Catholic (12%)
25. Seventh Day Adventist (12%)
26. Hinduism (8%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (8%)
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:15 pm

haha waahh
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 pm

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (86%)
3. Orthodox Quaker (85%)
4. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (79%)
5. Liberal Quakers (73%)
6. Unitarian Universalism (72%)
7. Jehovah's Witness (68%)
8. Bahá'í Faith (64%)
9. Eastern Orthodox (59%)
10. Mahayana Buddhism (59%)
11. Roman Catholic (59%)
12. Reform Judaism (59%)
13. Theravada Buddhism (58%)
14. Orthodox Judaism (58%)
15. Islam (55%)
16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (55%)
17. Seventh Day Adventist (55%)
18. Neo-Pagan (52%)
19. Jainism (50%)
20. Sikhism (49%)
21. New Age (48%)
22. Hinduism (42%)
23. New Thought (39%)
24. Taoism (39%)
25. Scientology (38%)
26. Secular Humanism (36%)
27. Nontheist (21%)

I'd say it's pretty accurate as I am pretty liberal-minded for a Christian.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:42 pm

There is no such thing as 'liberal' Christianity or 'conservative' Christianity. There is only Christianity.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:43 pm

actual look around theres alot of of conservative christians (or the religious reich as i like to call them)
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:26 pm

What people like to call themselves is immaterial. I could call myself a windmill and stand in the centre of a field flailing my arms around, but that would not make me a real windmill. Terms like 'conservative' and 'liberal' are not helpful when reading the Gospel itself, and they often denote a pick-and-choose mentality. "I'll believe in this bit because I like it, but I'll scrap the rest."
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:13 am

I meant that I'm a person who is politically liberal that is a Christian. Some Christians who are politically conservative tend to be those who think "Harry Potter is the devil" and that gays aren't as good as heteros. Obviously they are not all like that, but I don't agree with them and I just wanted to distinguish that. It doesn't mean that we don't believe in the same savior or we don't believe in the same things when it comes to the Bible. I just think I'm a Christian who has more liberal ideas about the world.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 am

parnassus wrote:

There is no such thing as 'liberal' Christianity or 'conservative' Christianity. There is only Christianity.

I disagree, this is evidenced by the massive split in the church of england over the appointment of female priests, and will probably have another over the appointment of homosexual priests and bishops. People's disagreement over their beliefs split everything up.

Personally, I am a christian, but I really hate organised religion of any kind, as I think there is large amounts of corruption and evil within the church.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:57 pm

I meant that I'm a person who is politically liberal that is a Christian. Some Christians who are politically conservative tend to be those who think "Harry Potter is the devil" and that gays aren't as good as heteros. Obviously they are not all like that, but I don't agree with them and I just wanted to distinguish that. It doesn't mean that we don't believe in the same savior or we don't believe in the same things when it comes to the Bible. I just think I'm a Christian who has more liberal ideas about the world.

A religious person can't separate their religious beliefs from their politics. When I vote, for example, I pray beforehand and try to base my vote on Christian principles. However, I am painfully aware that it is possible for me to dress up my own prejudices and elements of my own personality as 'Christianity' to make things easier for myself. I have to be constantly vigilant to stop that from happening.

An extreme example of this is the organisation 'Catholics for a Free Choice', which champions the 'right' of a woman to abort a child for whatever reason and still claims to be Catholic. But you can't be Catholic and pro-abortion. Fact. The creators of that organisation essentially found the Catholic principles on the sanctity of all human life, from conception to natural death, too difficult to abide by. So they have tried to change two millennia of Catholic teaching to suit themselves, and they label the result 'liberal Catholicism'. That is not Catholicism at all.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have far-right republicans who profess evangelical Christianity and yet try to defend the death penalty whilst condemning abortion. There is no justification whatsoever in the teachings of Jesus Christ for capital punishment to be used in the way it is used in America. You can't be pro-life where unborn babies are concerned and then turn round and say that you support the death penalty. They have changed two millennia of Christian ethics to suit themselves, and they label the result 'conservative Christianty'. That is not Christianity at all.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? There is the Gospel, and then there is what people want the Gospel to be. There are teachings in Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular that I find challenging, but what earthly use would my religion be if I customised it to make it easier for myself? To make myself seem less of a sinner than I really am? To make me more acceptable to myself? I want forgiveness, not excuses, and that means facing up to reality.

Personally, I am a christian, but I really hate organised religion of any kind, as I think there is large amounts of corruption and evil within the church.

Be careful when using the 'I hate organised religion' line. It has become a huge cliche. Most people say it without thinking about what it really means. Organised anything has the potential to be dangerous - the most deadly armies are the ones with the best organisation and structure, for example - but organised anything also has the potential to be extremely good. The most effective charities are the ones with the best organisation and structure.

There are large amounts of corruption and evil within every human being. If I tried to distance myself from the church on those grounds, I would be denying my own sin. As Jesus taught that community is essential for believers, I also recognise that the church must be primarily good - and I see that whenever I attend. Believing that the Holy Spirit can operate through a group of sinful human beings who are trying their best to live in the light of Christ is no more difficult than believing that the same Christ would be prepared to come from Heaven and suffer for my forgiveness. If Jesus could scandalise the so-called 'best' of his society by mixing with the supposed worst, the lowest of the low, the people whom no one 'decent' wanted anything to do with, then I can surely belong to His church without shame...because it's a hospital for sinners, and not a country club for saints.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:46 pm

religon and politics dont mix when peaple vote with religion in mind we get the democrats and george bush.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Okay, I think I see what you are getting at, Vicky. Yes, Christianity doesn't have the right and left like politics has and people here do use their politics to profess whether they are more "liberally Christian" or "conservatively Christian." I guess I was just trying to get across that I don't believe things like the death penalty and abortion should be allowed. I'm more of a believer in the more liberal idea of including everyone into the church, which I believe is something Jesus taught. I was just saying that I'm not someone who says "You can't come here because you are 'such and such sinner'." Everybody sins and yet everyone should be welcome. I don't think that some Christians are letting everyone in. Those people come form both sides. I think what I was trying to say was that I'm a liberal in a place where many liberals are not Christian or don't profess to be Christian.

I personally don't support abortion. I am pro-life, which is something that I think is rare for a more liberal person. I think the reason I am pro-life and the reason I want to accept everyone into the church is because I have grown up with Christianity. I believe that Jesus wants us to accept everyone so I accept every person (even those who are gays and lesbians). I don't try to judge them for what they do because really I could be the one sinning worse than them. Why should I look into their eyes and say that they are wrong when I could be the one wanting to do something much worse than they are doing?

I'm pro-life because I believe everyone should have a chance at life, even if it is just for a few days or a few years. There are tons of people who are looking for babies to adopt and I think that those people would love it if more parents decided to keep their babies alive rather than kill them. Even if you don't want to or can't keep your baby, someone else might want him/her. Don't give up his/her life just because you think it will make life easier for you.

I do agree with Jason right now because religion is a big part of politics at the moment. In fact, I think it has a big role in politics all of the time. If Joe Lieberman came into office, we'd have more of a Jewish set of ideas coming across just like when we have a Christian in office it tends to center around Christian ideas. If there were an athiest in the White House, it would also be different. President Bush says prayers whenever there is a tragedy like there was yesterday. If there were someone else in office, that might not happen. Some people believe he shouldn't be doing that, but I don't mind since I am a Christian. I just don't like his politics AT ALL. Many of the people who voted for Bush wanted him in office partly because he was a Christian and as far as I know John Kerry (who I voted for) didn't say what religion he was from. I'm assuming it was Christian since that seems to be the majority here, but I'm not certain. I only voted for him because I thought his ideas were better than Bush's. But a lot of people are more likely to vote for a candidate if he/she has their same religious views so I do think that religion does matter when we go to the polls, at least in this country.

I think the only thing that matters is that we believe in the same Christ because we all sin. We all have our fall-backs whether it's thinking the death penalty is good or whether it's something else. I think the thing to concentrate on is how to make the world a better place to live for everyone and how to welcome everyone into the church as I believe Jesus would have done. So even though I might not agree with all those anti-whatever people out there, I should try to be kind to them.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum