Belief-O-Matic

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby intowiz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:44 pm

abortion is more liberal than conservative.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:46 pm

sorry saw the first bit and wrote that quickly.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby bpcooper » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:13 pm

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
3. Liberal Quakers (82%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (79%)
5. Nontheist (79%)
6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (68%)
7. Neo-Pagan (65%)
8. Taoism (59%)
9. Mahayana Buddhism (56%)
10. New Age (55%)
11. Orthodox Quaker (53%)
12. Reform Judaism (50%)
13. Sikhism (46%)
14. New Thought (42%)
15. Scientology (41%)
16. Jainism (40%)
17. Bahá'í Faith (39%)
18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (35%)
19. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (30%)
20. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (30%)
21. Islam (29%)
22. Orthodox Judaism (29%)
23. Hinduism (27%)
24. Seventh Day Adventist (25%)
25. Eastern Orthodox (20%)
26. Roman Catholic (20%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (16%)
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby parnassus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 pm

religon and politics dont mix when peaple vote with religion in mind we get the democrats and george bush.

My faith is the guiding lamp in my life. It is not possible for me to press a button in my brain when I go to the polling station and turn off my Catholic attitudes. Faith is not something that happens on the church building on Sunday. It is something that you live. So when I go to vote I look for a candidate who is pro-life, who believes that asylum seekers and refugees deserve to be treated with dignity, who is opposed to the maintenance and renewal of weapons like Trident, who supports prison reform, and who has a compassionate and focused attitude towards marginalised people in society. All these criteria have been informed by my Christianity.

I believe that Jesus wants us to accept everyone so I accept every person (even those who are gays and lesbians). I don't try to judge them for what they do because really I could be the one sinning worse than them. Why should I look into their eyes and say that they are wrong when I could be the one wanting to do something much worse than they are doing?

Being non-judgemental is pure Christianity. That teaching comes straight out of the Gospel. I don't understand the need to put the word 'liberal' in front of it. I can understand why you wouldn't want to be lumped together with a lot of judgemental people, but there is an ironic twist to that tactic - it suggests that Christians who are politically conservative are more likely to be judgemental than 'liberals', which isn't true. I've noticed an unfortunate superiority complex in some self-proclaimed 'liberal Christians'. "We're loving and tolerant, unlike those bigoted Bible-bashers over there. We think for ourselves, unlike the mindless morons at the church down the road." In their turn, some Christians who are politically conservative tend to view people who define as 'liberal Christian' as morally bankrupt. This is why I don't like to see those terms used as qualifiers, as they both carry all the wrong connotations and make it sound as though Christianity itself is a political party.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:16 am

Being non-judgemental is pure Christianity. That teaching comes straight out of the Gospel. I don't understand the need to put the word 'liberal' in front of it. I can understand why you wouldn't want to be lumped together with a lot of judgemental people, but there is an ironic twist to that tactic - it suggests that Christians who are politically conservative are more likely to be judgemental than 'liberals', which isn't true. I've noticed an unfortunate superiority complex in some self-proclaimed 'liberal Christians'. "We're loving and tolerant, unlike those bigoted Bible-bashers over there. We think for ourselves, unlike the mindless morons at the church down the road." In their turn, some Christians who are politically conservative tend to view people who define as 'liberal Christian' as morally bankrupt. This is why I don't like to see those terms used as qualifiers, as they both carry all the wrong connotations and make it sound as though Christianity itself is a political party.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. I didn't mean to be judgemental about people and I didn't mean to make it seem like I was better than someone else because in reality I'm not. I see what you are saying. I shouldn't be so judgemental of people who are from the same religion.

I hear the term sometimes and I didn't think much when I put it on here. Lots of people are so politically defined here and I think that right now the prejudices of Christians are coming from people who hate President Bush's politics. They think that he's not being inclusive and they are angry that our men and women are being sent off to what seems like a never-ending war. But I could see how if a liberal-minded president who happened to be Christian was in office he/she would get criticized too.

I think part of the reason I said "liberal Christian" was because I did want to distinguish myself from someone who supports President Bush or supports his politics. I didn't mean to make it sound like there were two different kinds of Christians. It was probably part of my northern United States upbringing because I've never really been to the "Bible Belt" all that much and in general, people up here tend to have stereotypes of it. It's not right and it's not good, but that's what happens. I think I might have been too overwhelmed by the stereotypes to realize that we're all believing in the same God.

We might have differing views on certain earthly issues, but I shouldn't be judgemental about those views. Instead, I should just think about the fact that we all believe in the same basic things. I think maybe if more people did think that then there might actually be more harmony around here. If more people remembered that we don't have to be completely on one side or the other like the media tells us, we might be more considerate of others' points of view. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense, but I just wanted to say I get your point Vicky. You are right in that I shouldn't be using the terms liberal Christian and conservative Christian.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 am

vicky all of those things you wrote have something to do politics not religion
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 pm

They have everything to do with my religion.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:10 pm

In some instances, Religion is a part of politics though because people are elected by what they believe in. If they are Christian, a Christian is more likely to elect them. If they are Jewish, a Jewish person is more likely to elect them. I'm not trying to argue that it should be a part of politics, but sometimes it just is.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:58 pm

what im saying is dont vote for someone because of tehre religious beliefs vote for what theyw ill do what theyw ill cahnge who is best to be in charge and who will bend over and take it from the normal person.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:29 am

intowiz wrote:what im saying is dont vote for someone because of tehre religious beliefs vote for what theyw ill do what theyw ill cahnge who is best to be in charge and who will bend over and take it from the normal person.

I don't do that, but some people do. I wouldn't care what the guy/girl believed religiously as long as he/she had some of the same political beliefs as me.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby dragoneatscheese » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Reform Judaism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
3. Liberal Quakers (98%)
4. Bahá'í Faith (97%)
5. Neo-Pagan (90%)
6. Sikhism (90%)
7. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (85%)
8. New Age (80%)
9. Orthodox Judaism (79%)
10. Mahayana Buddhism (78%)
11. Secular Humanism (74%)
12. Jainism (73%)
13. Theravada Buddhism (71%)
14. Islam (70%)
15. Orthodox Quaker (62%)
16. New Thought (61%)
17. Taoism (59%)
18. Scientology (56%)
19. Hinduism (53%)
20. Nontheist (53%)
21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (48%)
22. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (43%)
23. Eastern Orthodox (38%)
24. Roman Catholic (38%)
25. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (36%)
26. Seventh Day Adventist (33%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (12%)
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Page » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:14 am

1. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (100%)
2. Eastern Orthodox (90%)
3. Roman Catholic (90%)
4. Seventh Day Adventist (85%)
5. Orthodox Quaker (84%)
6. Hinduism (63%)
7. Jehovah's Witness (63%)
8. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (61%)
9. Orthodox Judaism (54%)
10. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (54%)
11. Islam (48%)
12. Jainism (38%)
13. Liberal Quakers (32%)
14. Mahayana Buddhism (30%)
15. Theravada Buddhism (29%)
16. Bahá'í Faith (26%)
17. Unitarian Universalism (26%)
18. Sikhism (25%)
19. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (19%)
20. Neo-Pagan (19%)
21. Nontheist (16%)
22. New Age (14%)
23. New Thought (13%)
24. Reform Judaism (12%)
25. Scientology (12%)
26. Secular Humanism (10%)
27. Taoism (5%)

I thought that the test was not flexible enough, since in several instances a given option was fairly consistent with my beliefs but not completely. In many of these questions, the line between truth and error is far too subtle and it's difficult to answer honestly without compromising.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Page » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:48 am

parnassus wrote:
I'd say it's pretty accurate as I am pretty liberal-minded for a Christian.

There is no such thing as 'liberal' Christianity or 'conservative' Christianity. There is only Christianity.

I must respectfully disagree.

There is a definite split in Protestant denominations.

The true "conservatives" are more apt to adhere to doctrines such as election/predestination, regeneration, sanctification, justification, but most importantly, the total sovereignty of God. I consider myself to be one of this category since I completely believe each of the aforementioned theological principles.

The moderate types (from my observations) usually take baseline Christianity and mix it with humanistic and Arminian concepts such as free will concerning salvation,

The Liberal types go even further, placing emphasis on tolerance and love rather than on sound doctrine, and may make attempts to fit evolution into what's left of their theology to some degree.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:05 pm

Surely tolerance and love are part of sound doctrine?
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Page » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:32 am

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Surely tolerance and love are part of sound doctrine?

Tolerance and love have their place, but not at the expense of doctrine. It's as simple and as clear-cut as that, and no exceptions should be made lest erroneous teachings be introduced

I tolerate the average unbeliever in the sense that I do not wish them any harm, but I cannot bring myself to condone their secular lifestyle, either,

In the same way, I am called to love and edify other Christian believers in my life because all believers have been called to newness of life and as such are all part of the same Body. Each one is called to serve in a different way for the benefit of all.
Page
Mega Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum