rugged indivulism ?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

do u think we are all in charge of are own destiny?

I think god plans out what happens to us from the beginning and we cant change it
7%
I think everyones has control over what happens to them
7%
A mixture between god , other people and ourselves are in control of what happends to us.
29%
Others
7%
Its a mixture between what we do and what others do to us that make are lives turn out a certain way.
50%

Total votes : 14

rugged indivulism ?

Postby Joss1991 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:22 pm

do u think we are all in charge of are own destiny ?
the darker it is the more stars you can see
Joss1991
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:03 pm

I couldn't vote, as what I believe isn't presented as an option.

As a Catholic Christian, I believe that God has a unique plan for each of us, a plan that will bring us all to fulfilment, but that we aren't forced to participate in it. Human beings are graced with free will. We have the ability to choose things for ourselves. Family upbringing and genetics may shape your body, and even your mind to a certain extent, but they don't affect your soul. It is possible to go against your upbringing and emerge a totally different person, which explains why the children of loving homes can become murderers and murderers can give birth to heroes.

For me, the best way to explain my philosophy on life is 'dancing with God'. I didn't have to join the dance, but I chose to do so. By its very nature, love involves preferment - a choice. There is no real love without an element of choice.

I do believe in the predestination of grace as described so lucidly by Aquinas, but I vehemently reject the doctrine of double predestination that was advocated by Calvin. It was a sixteenth century innovation that is tantamount to maltheism in my eyes.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dork_Lord » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:08 pm

I thought rugged individualism was a particularly bad kind of USA politics, like laissez-faire but less help from the state.

I don't know about that kind of philosophy though, very confusing as predeterminist theory is undeniably true in a way, but also in itself not true.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:08 pm

Dork_Lord wrote:I thought rugged individualism was a particularly bad kind of USA politics, like laissez-faire but less help from the state.

I don't know about that kind of philosophy though, very confusing as predeterminist theory is undeniably true in a way, but also in itself not true.

It's kind of weird because we do like to be individuals here in America. We're taught from when we are young that we are "unique" and that we shouldn't conform to everything other people do. Then, when we're older, we are told that we should be wearing the same clothes, listening to the same music, all watching Gray's Anatomy, and that it's not okay to be different. Individualism is kind of an oxymoron here. I did a paper on it. I analyzed the show Ugly Betty, which celebrates individualism and realized that Betty is actually isn't so much of a "unique" person. She's from Mexico like many others here in America, she's a New Yorker, she's wears braces, she loves her family. All these things are not unique to her specifically.

Anyway, I agree with Vicky. I believe God has a plan for me, but I don't think that He's telling me that I have to follow the whole thing. I do have some free will and sometimes, it gets me into trouble. God has an intial plan, but I can choose my path too.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mattie » Mon May 21, 2007 2:21 pm

I believe we are totally in charge of our own destiny. If God interferes wiith people's plans, then he would have to be a very cruel God. Afterall, all the suffering in the wold would have to be part of his individual plans for people otherwise. Would this be the act of a loving God? Also, if this were the case, he would seem to be showering some people with prosperous and good futures whilst leaving others to live a life of misery. This just seems contrary to the whole ideology of Chrsitianity and what it stands for.

Therefore, I'd have to say that God isn't able to interfere in this life.

Mattie.
mattie
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:08 am

I believe we are totally in charge of our own destiny. If God interferes wiith people's plans, then he would have to be a very cruel God. Afterall, all the suffering in the wold would have to be part of his individual plans for people otherwise. Would this be the act of a loving God?

That doesn't follow logically, Mattie. Created things cannot exist independently of their creator; without sustenance, they die or become damaged. It would also be impossible for a loving God to create us (out of love, we believe) and then abandon us as some kind of exotic cosmic experiment. In Christian thought, God loved us enough to become one of us. Don't forget that.

It is also important to remember that most religious people speak of God's will in two senses: that which God 'wants' (I use that verb for want of a better term) and that which is. Nothing can exist without the consent of God, as He holds all things in being. Suffering is a consequence of humankind's freedom to choose, but in the same way that trees and flowers can grow out of dung, God can use a bad situation to bring forth good. So, to a certain extent, suffering can be part of God's plan, to be received as a gift. A lot of saints have suffered, and suffered terribly. Damien of Molokai, for example, was a priest who chose to go and live in a leper colony to improve the quality of life of the sick people there, who were treated like vermin and not allowed to mix with society. Inevitably, he contracted the painful disease himself. But he loved the people of Molokai so much that he was able to be patient and kind-hearted to the last. It was suffering that taught him how to live in that self-sacrificing way.

Does this mean that suffering is a good thing? No. But it does mean that it can be used for good.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby intowiz » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 am

we all make our own actions but these actions affect others so to an extent our actions are based on ourselves and others.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:38 am

Even though i do not personally do not believe in God or an intervenist God for the benifit of us.
I believe the purpose is that YOU believe you have a destiny wherever that belief comes from, i am always inspired by the journeys and things i read and do wonder as it seems many of thease individuals seem 'born' to do thease things, like i always wonder what the influences from modern day/classical music would be missing if mozart had never been born into a musical family or introduced to the keyboard.But then again if you look at life like that it's a miracle anything happens, lol!
I think the fact that there's mostly a yes/no option to many desicions we make in life, shows the fact that we do always have choices weather were guided to make those choices it's still our choice- the beauty of living :D.
And im waffling and this made so much more sence in my head when i was trying to explain to myself what i thought about this thread ah well a quote my mother told me:
" If nothings certain, evreythings possible!" :D
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Return to Debate Forum