Id cards

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you think ID cards are a good idea

Yes
17%
No
52%
maybe
17%
dont know
13%

Total votes : 23

Id cards

Postby intowiz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:56 am

ID cards are they good bad or do you not know or in the middle.
im apposed to them its just another way to control peaple. more simple for the goverment to put us in a box and bark orders.
we are loosing freedom and have very little now days, when the time comes i will say no what can they do otherwise.
i do not wish to pay 300 quid for a card i dont want and will cause me to be tagged like cattle to the slaughter.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am

I would not voice this as harshly as Jason there, but I believe ID cards will be an extremely bad idea. For a start, they will be a limit to our freedom, and they are opposed because of their links to totalitarian governments. Personally I cannot see the benefit of them, surely criminal gangs and terrorists will be able to get a fake id card, as they can get fake passports. I cannot see how anyone will benefit from this, but then again i cannot see how the goverment will benefit, as they know who we are and where we live anyway.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

yes- if done properly.

Postby k9ruby » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:12 pm

I'm for them- if done properly.

I would not voice this as harshly as Jason there, but I believe ID cards will be an extremely bad idea. For a start, they will be a limit to our freedom, and they are opposed because of their links to totalitarian governments. Personally I cannot see the benefit of them, surely criminal gangs and terrorists will be able to get a fake id card, as they can get fake passports. I cannot see how anyone will benefit from this, but then again i cannot see how the goverment will benefit, as they know who we are and where we live anyway.

Passports don't have a chip in them ;)

Terrorists could be caught WITHOUT HAVING TO SEE THE CARD.

I would make it offence not to carry it with you leaving and coming into the country. Make it so anybody at these places who are not holding the card get detected remotely and searched/questioned.

Personally, I would be all for it as I have a serious medical condition (anaphylactic nut allergy- means i can go into shock and die) and if i carried it, it would be able to pull up my whole medical history and treatment i need.

Personally, i think if your innocent you have nothing to worry about.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Kentigern » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:39 pm

In principle I am in favour of having a system whereby everyone has an identity card so that there is only one thing you need to access any government service.

In my scheme an ID card would have biometric info, a photo, and a bar code. Every government service would be equiped with a card reader, which could from the unique bar code on the card pull up relevent info to the government service in question from a central compter database.
(this means a policeman should only see those things which pertain to the police e.g. crinimal record, and the doctors surgery would only be able to see what pertains to them e.g. medical record)

This would be more efficient then having my personal data scattered over many different computer systems, with me having different documents from different government services.

Also an ID card could be the basis in the future for starting a personal "carbon allowance" or something. Basicly, any ID card should be adaptable so new initiatives such as this can be added easily!

Gordon
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby intowiz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:39 pm

we do have something to worry about all out information in one place for our rulers to see. it used to be peaple had a goverment now its the otehr way round.
i do understand the medical things but that should be on a health card or something of the like.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:08 pm

I voted incorrectly :( I put yes, i didn't meam to, lol!
This is a strange idea that makes me feel uncomfterble it's like big brother the goverment is evreywhere :S lol!
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:19 pm

I voted no, as I know that an ID card would be a very easy thing for me to lose. I would not want to be disadvantaged in regard to my access to various public services if I kept on losing my card - especially if I had to pay for a new one each time. I also think that the cards are open to abuse.

we do have something to worry about all out information in one place for our rulers to see. it used to be peaple had a goverment now its the otehr way round.

I think that's a little paranoid, Jason. There are a lot of government policies that I don't particularly like, but this isn't exactly a totalitarian state - the public voted the current government in, and the public has the power to vote it out again.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

same

Postby k9ruby » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:53 pm

I know it may be easy to lose, but somehow i think their could be a way round that! (How? not sure yet!)

I would have Finger prints and also retina scans on mine.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby pinkparrot » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:16 pm

Canteen lunch cards are bad enough!
Ancilla sum xx
pinkparrot
As Mad As A Box Of Frogs !

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:28 pm

parnassus wrote:I voted no, as I know that an ID card would be a very easy thing for me to lose. I would not want to be disadvantaged in regard to my access to various public services if I kept on losing my card - especially if I had to pay for a new one each time. I also think that the cards are open to abuse.

I think that's a little paranoid, Jason. There are a lot of government policies that I don't particularly like, but this isn't exactly a totalitarian state - the public voted the current government in, and the public has the power to vote it out again.

Big brother is watching YOU!!

Dyspraxicteens is doubleplusungood crimethink

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Image:BigBrother.jpg

Just thought I'd add some random scaremongering to this thread.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby intowiz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:31 pm

peaple laugh but big brother is real and we are living in it.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: yes- if done properly.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 am

k9ruby wrote:Personally, I would be all for it as I have a serious medical condition (anaphylactic nut allergy- means i can go into shock and die) and if i carried it, it would be able to pull up my whole medical history and treatment i need.

Why don't you just carry a card stating that you have anaphylaxis and explain what treatemtn you need? Or you could wera one of theose medic-alert bracelets.

Personally, I'm against them because their implementation would cost the government billions of pounds, which could instead be spent on reducing taxes and/or improvements to public services.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby intowiz » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 am

it wouldnt cost the goverment blob we would be the ones paying 300 pounds for one.
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:33 pm

Unfortunately, I doubt that £300 each would be enough to cover the cost of such a huge and sophisticated initative. I suspect that the £300 is only a subsidy. In reality the government would have to pay much more for the scheme to implemented successfully.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Shaun » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:11 pm

What kind of ID card? I'm I missing out on some important details here?
Shaun
Forum Master

Next

Return to Debate Forum