Lets split?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Lets split?

Postby Ross Millar » Wed May 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Thought this would be approprate and intresting as Monday marked the 300th Anerversery of the Treaty of Union 1707 which united Scotland with England and Wales. The 300th Anerversary comes at a very intresting time however for Britian and an unfortunate time for the treaty...

Recent polls a few weeks before the anerversary indicated that 59% suported the idea of independent nationhood for both England and Scotland compaired to 52% of Scots.

68% of English voters support the idea of English devolution as does 58% of Scottish voters.

Source: The Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... nion26.xml

Scotland goes to the polls later on to day (May 3rd) to decide on its next administration for the Scottish devolved parliament. If the Scottish National Party (SNP) win they promace to hold a referendum in 2010 to let the people decide wether they wish to remain in the union. acording to opiniton polls they are set to give labour a "gubbing"

Is it time for a constitutional change within Britian? Or is it time for a devorce?

Is it time that polotitions stop telling us what we want do do with the Union and decide for ourselfs? The paper was signed 300 years ago - Is it time for it to be up dated?

What do you think?
Ross Millar
Super Poster

Postby Kentigern » Thu May 03, 2007 5:15 pm

This is a fascinating question, and one close to my heart!

I would like to know how "independance" is defined. Scotland already has it's own legal system, it's own education system, it's own health system, it's own bank system, and above all it's own law making parliament. Scotland is, like it or lump it, pretty independent already.

I think that the debate is better framed in terms of how independent Scotland should be. Should Scotland have it's own independent armed forces? Should Scotland have it's own independent head of state? Should Scotland have it's own independent oil fields? My own take is that Scotland should be maybe a bit more independent, however I am against complete independence from England.

Politically sopeaking, I do not like how the pro-unionist parties are trying to stifle a debate on further independance. I think that we should have that debate. Ultoimately we need to find a way of coexisting that does England (and Wales) and Scotland the most good.

Things are also interesting here in Wales. As far as I can see the Welsh Assembly is more like a glorified county council than a parliament. It cannot make laws of it's own, it can only decide how Westminster legislation is going to be applied. This is going to change, as I understand it the Welsh Assembly will be allowed to ask permission from Westminster to make it's own laws. However this falls a long way short of the Scottish parliamnet. Because of all this there is no interest in the Welsh Assembly, and widespread apathy. I think that the Welsh Assembly either needs scrapping, or Scottish parlaiment powers (though unlike Scotland when it recieved it's parliament Wales does not have an independent legal system, education system, monetary system, etc). Plaid Cymru are promising a referendum on more powers, while the other parties (as I understand it) are not. Similar to Scotland in some ways...

Gordon :)
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:35 pm

Being scottish this intrests me and I can't make a desicion either way.
English is not doing any good for us but what is it going to do to us being indepentant. And does this mean getting rid of the monarchy?
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Kentigern » Wed May 09, 2007 1:46 pm

The SNP propose retaining the Monarchy, so the Queen of England would be head of state (as she is in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc), but Scotland would be otherwise completely independent, like Canada is from England.

Gordon
Gordon Lawrence

Kentigern
Mega Poster

Postby Bladen » Wed May 09, 2007 3:05 pm

There's practically nothing for Scotland to gain if they split from the United Kingdom/Britain though. They can do it if they like but is there any actual point?
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Katielauren2001 » Wed May 16, 2007 4:51 pm

I agree.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby druchi » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:35 pm

personally there could be alot to gain but there is definetly alot too lose so its a see saw situation but hey Gordon Browns scottish and if we arent independent then having a scottish PM cant hurt can it?

personaly im quite intrested to see what the SNP goverment is going to do now that its sort of in charge

but i am against the monarchy *nothing personall* just i dont believe in it and the money could be put too much better causes
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:43 am

Question: Why do they want to split exactly?
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby druchi » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:35 am

well some people have problems being watched over by westminster *personally i dont*

theres alot of reasons people want to be independant it could bring alot of jobs

others want too be able to vote about issues such as Trident *the nuclear weapons based in scotland*

theres alot of reasons i just cnat think of any right now
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Katielauren2001 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:23 pm

We want freedom from the English. Able to call Scotland its own, and there is still some issues with the English that haven't been cleared up.
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Return to Debate Forum