If elephants are real...

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

If reality is like an elaphant than we are all like blind men. Do you agree?

Yes
22%
No
11%
I have no idea what your going on about
33%
Yes but thats the fun part of the puzzle
33%

Total votes : 18

If elephants are real...

Postby Alice » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:39 pm

For those of you who haven't guessed from the poll question. I'm refering to the story of the four blind men who found an elephant and argued about what it looked like. The way I see it, the whole of philosphy is like that, we only ever get a small peice of the picture, so in a way arguing about reality is futile.

This debate is about the nature of reality vs how we see it.

Start debating...
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:48 pm

Never heard of that story you on about???????????????????
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:12 pm

eastlondonluke wrote:Never heard of that story you on about???????????????????

There where 4 blind men who came across an elaphant. One felt its ear and sais "an elephant is like a fan" the second felt its tusk and said "an elephant is like a spear" the third felt it's leg and anounced that an elephant is like a tree and the third, uppon feeling the elephants tail, concluded an elephant was like a paintbrush. They argued about it but because none had seen the full picture, they couldn't come to the right conclusion.

There's alot of morals to this story but the main one for me is the fact that even if they'd all compramised they wouldn't be that much closer because they didn't have the whole answer bettween them. In that sense they are like any scientist, philosopher or theologist, each has a much smaller part of the puzzle than they could ever realize, so the most rational conlusions soon turn out to be the most nonsense.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby C » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:14 pm

I agree with you, Alice. I don't think anyone will ever have 'the whole answer'. I also think that everybody perceives situations differently; the same situation can be interpreted differently according to the observer. In this way there is never really one true truth; one true reality. Instead there is everybody's different versions of it.

Does that make sense or was it just a ramble?!
C
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Maybe sooooooo but i need some time to think about it its kinda long :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby dragoneatscheese » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:05 pm

Alice wrote:
eastlondonluke wrote:Never heard of that story you on about???????????????????

There where 4 blind men who came across an elaphant. One felt its ear and sais "an elephant is like a fan" the second felt its tusk and said "an elephant is like a spear" the third felt it's leg and anounced that an elephant is like a tree and the third, uppon feeling the elephants tail, concluded an elephant was like a paintbrush. They argued about it but because none had seen the full picture, they couldn't come to the right conclusion.

There's alot of morals to this story but the main one for me is the fact that even if they'd all compramised they wouldn't be that much closer because they didn't have the whole answer bettween them. In that sense they are like any scientist, philosopher or theologist, each has a much smaller part of the puzzle than they could ever realize, so the most rational conlusions soon turn out to be the most nonsense.

feel it a methor
the elepant is the future (so you can't see it) "the blind men is a methor for being unsure of the future and people having different thoughts
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Henri » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:23 pm

It's about perception. No two human beings are the same, thus, we all perceive reality in different ways. There is not a general consensus of reality, therefore everyone's interpretation of certain aspects of life should be taken into account.
Henri
Forum Master

Return to Debate Forum