How do you define love?????

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

How do you define love?????

Postby eastlondonluke » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:45 pm

What are your thoughts on this im just cureious cause i was thinking about it today so what do ya think?????
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby steve » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:51 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think love is just a feeling (not quite the deep arguement you were hoping for but nevermind lol). there are different kinds of love. i'd say family love is due to the way we humans are programmed (the female of the species is designed to nurture her young and children are designed to depend on their mothers). romantic love is different (although it could also be genetic). i think sometimes when people say they're in love (especially when they're young) it's just because they have a new excitement in their life and romance is new to them. as for "real love" i haven't experienced that so i don't know
steve
Super Poster

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:00 pm

steve wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think love is just a feeling (not quite the deep arguement you were hoping for but nevermind lol). there are different kinds of love. i'd say family love is due to the way we humans are programmed (the female of the species is designed to nurture her young and children are designed to depend on their mothers). romantic love is different (although it could also be genetic). i think sometimes when people say they're in love (especially when they're young) it's just because they have a new excitement in their life and romance is new to them. as for "real love" i haven't experienced that so i don't know

I agree with everypoint you raise.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:55 pm

What i ment was how would you difine romantic love
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Danni » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:12 pm

I can't define romantic love. It's something that you feel so deeply that you cannot describe it.
Purple penguin resistance member
Danni
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Well im still puzald about it cause i just think sometimes what makes you love your partner????
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:55 pm

eastlondonluke wrote:Well im still puzald about it cause i just think sometimes what makes you love your partner????

Seemingly you'll love anything that's fit.

XD
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 pm

I learnt the hard way on that one lol

but i was realy asking you lot lol
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:48 pm

Common interests, unconditional affection, you would do anything for your partner.

I think they're the most important, excluding being attracted to them obviously.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby eastlondonluke » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:52 pm

It just that if you look around you at da peeps on da tv like celebriteis they just seem to get marrid cause there both rich how crap is dat
eastlondonluke
Splendiferous Member

Postby parnassus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:03 pm

Very crap, is the answer.

The ancient Greek pilosophers divided love into four categories to make it easier to understad. There is philos (the love between friends), agape (love for your neighbour), eros (sexual passion), and storge (love for a place or an object). I think romantic love is a fusion of the first three - philos, agape, and eros. You need all three to be complete: the friendship, the generosity, the physical attraction. A relationship that is based on just one or two of those things won't last.

I think love is a lot more than a feeling (although people may sometimes be deceived into thinking that a positive emotional experience is love). Cleaning up vomit when your partner is grumpy and ill with a lousy stomach bug may not exactly be a thrilling experience, but if you love them you do it unquestioningly.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Chinagirl » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:37 pm

im with vicky on this one.
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 pm

parnassus wrote:Very crap, is the answer.

The ancient Greek pilosophers divided love into four categories to make it easier to understad. There is philos (the love between friends), agape (love for your neighbour), eros (sexual passion), and storge (love for a place or an object). I think romantic love is a fusion of the first three - philos, agape, and eros. You need all three to be complete: the friendship, the generosity, the physical attraction. A relationship that is based on just one or two of those things won't last.

I think love is a lot more than a feeling (although people may sometimes be deceived into thinking that a positive emotional experience is love). Cleaning up vomit when your partner is grumpy and ill with a lousy stomach bug may not exactly be a thrilling experience, but if you love them you do it unquestioningly.

There's an asteroid called Eros, I presume it's a God, I wonder what an asteroid has in common with sexual passion though...
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:43 pm

Eros was the God of sexual passion.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Eros was the God of sexual passion.

I don't feel sexual passion for asteroids though!

Normally the naming convention for planets using Gods makes some sense, for example the asteroid Sedna is called Sedna as it's very far away, so it's cold, and the God Sedna has relations to being cold, I believe.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum