Exams getting too easy?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Are Exams getting too easy?

Yes
No votes
No
77%
Not sure...
23%

Total votes : 22

Exams getting too easy?

Postby k9ruby » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:13 pm

Are Exams getting too easy?

Its been in the press lately but I don't agree. My theory is that more people are passing because there is a wider variety of subjects to take than there was in "their day".

Your thoughts?
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:49 pm

I think they're getting harder, everytime we did mock tests we'd do one from 1999, one from 2001, one from 2003 etc. And they'd get progressively harder, so I'd say the opposite. Kids are better educated nowadays which is almost certainly the reason more are passing.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Dork_Lord » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Seems to me the only people complaining about exams being too easy, are people who already did theirs, and the CBI who would compain about the workforce at any given opportunity
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby madame_tigre » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:01 pm

I disagree. I think it can be very insulting for students to work so hard to achieve great results only to be told by the media that it's really because exams are getting easier.

The government and media also complain about the number of kids leaving primary school with poor literacy and/or numeracy skills. How can they win? Why can't we just help those who struggle and praise those who have obtained the fantastic results they deserved? Students (or anyone) really could live without this pressure and accusation.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:10 pm

Make 'em easier!
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:41 pm

i think the real reason that more people are passing, is simply that there are more ways to suceed; it isn't limited so much (i know it still is in some ways, but not to the same extent) just to people who do well when given a long handwritten essay to do in timed conditions.
mel
Super Poster

Postby parnassus » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:48 am

I don't believe that exams are getting easier. However, I do believe that they are not the best way to measure ability. When A grades are given to almost a quarter of all exam papers, it gets increasingly difficult for universities to distinguish the best students from the very good and the very good from those who have excellent exam technique but a merely average grasp of their subject.

I also suspect that A-Levels are an inadequate preparation for university. They don't provide enough scope for you to explore your subjects in depth. If they were less exam-focused and more wide-ranging it would make things much more interesting when the time came to choose which subject to study in higher education.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

wow

Postby k9ruby » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:00 pm

When A grades are given to almost a quarter of all exam papers

Wow.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Goldenhamster » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:01 pm

If we do badly in exams then we're obviously the lazy younger generation, delinquents who'll never be fit for work and do no good to anyone and if we do well then the exams are obviously too easy and the examiners are giving the undeserving an easy ride through!

We can't win can we?
You don't have to be dyspraxic to be exeptional

But it helps!
Goldenhamster
Mega Poster

Postby steve » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:11 pm

i wouldn't say exams are getting easier. but i do think our generation aren't learning as much as our parents. part of the reason for this is that we are bombarded with constant tests. i can remember studying a book and reading it up until midpoint before stopping because the first half was the only part explored in the exam. there's nothing wrong with testing but we're not learning how to do much on the side which creates gaps in our knowledge
steve
Super Poster

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:59 pm

I think Steve and Vuicky are right. The whole point of exams is supposed to be discovering what you've learned. However, the education system has it backwards - learning has become secondary to passing exams.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby jellyjay88 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:50 pm

I don't think exams are getting easier. They're still highly intimidating and require hard work. However, there is something up with the marking.

I don't think even the examiners know what their looking for in papers anymore, let alone the students.

For instance, in one of my drama AS exams, the overall mark for our year was apalling, so our teachers requested a remark. One girl who had been originally marked a low D was shot up to, either an A or one mark from it, and nearly everyone else who had been a C and below was moved up at least one grade.

That's what makes me so angry about this whole exam rubbish. So many kids go through the stress and worry of them every year, yet I've come out feeling my qualifications are quite worthless, cause I simply don't trust the quality of the marking. :x
jellyjay88
Advanced Member

Return to Debate Forum