"micky mouse" subjects...

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you agree?

Yes
17%
No
22%
Only a very limited few
61%

Total votes : 18

"micky mouse" subjects...

Postby k9ruby » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:15 pm

A-Level "micky mouse" subjects...

is there such thing....
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:48 pm

At A level I wouldn't say so, but I picked limited few because at university there are a few really silly degrees.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby parnassus » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:57 am

I chose 'a limited few'. I'm reluctant to put 'yes' because what looks ridiculously easy to one person may be a real challenge to somebody else. I'm reminded of the General Studies exam - few universities will even accept it as a qualification and at my old school no one took it seriously, even though it was compulsory. (A subtle way for the school to improve its position in the league tables.) Yet I really struggled with the General Studies maths paper. I got an E on it (one mark off a U) and it pulled my overall grade down to a B. General Studies may be a Mickey Mouse subject, but it didn't feel that way to me.

That said, I do not believe that a student with an A-Level in Media Studies is as well-qualified academically as a student with an A-Level in physics. The Media Studies A-Level might mean a great deal to the student on a personal level, but it can't be denied that it is nowhere near as rigorous as something like chemistry or further maths.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:58 pm

That said, I do not believe that a student with an A-Level in Media Studies is as well-qualified academically as a student with an A-Level in physics. The Media Studies A-Level might mean a great deal to the student on a personal level, but it can't be denied that it is nowhere near as rigorous as something like chemistry or further maths.

Even though I do take it, I do agree! :D

I think the sciences, maths, englishs and history are known to be the *hard* subjects.
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Steph » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:15 pm

I chose only a very limited few as well. I took A Level Media Studies and, although the grade did mean a lot to me at the end of it, it wasn't exactly that challenging to me personally. I hate people saying sociology is a Mickey Mouse subject though-it really is challenging at A Level and even more so at degree level-some of it may appear to be common sense but it is also fascinating and one of the hardest subjects to write essays for because you have to second guess what the examiner wants you to write and often I get that part wrong :oops:
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Chinagirl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:01 pm

what exactly is general studies?
pie

Make your dreams happen and never give up
Chinagirl
Splendiferous Member

Postby Alice » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Although I picked yes because of my personal veiw of the subjects, I have to point out that it is unfair to be overly disparaging about less achademic subjects. Some students try realy hard but are not achademic so it's only fair they should be allowed to acheive their own potential. I'm afraid I have a tendency to think poorly of vocational subjects from time to time. I'm sorry to anyone who takes these subjects, I don't mean too, it's just that that's the attitude I'm around allot, like when one teacher told a boy "If this is all the effort your prepared to make you should have taken film studdies"
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:05 pm

hey now wait a minuite i find myself very proud of mself on a personnel level when i manage to get a good grade even in media and even though its not as hard as other subjects but i work hard to get good grades and i find it rigourous.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:27 pm

What is a "Mickey Mouse" subject?
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:10 pm

It's the cynical name for a subject that is believed to be "easier" to complete and not as "academic" as more traditional subjects-examples include Media Studies, Sociology, Film Studies and other ones which are believed to be somewhat inferior to subjects such as Maths, Science, English etc.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 pm

intowiz wrote:hey now wait a minuite i find myself very proud of mself on a personnel level when i manage to get a good grade even in media and even though its not as hard as other subjects but i work hard to get good grades and i find it rigourous.

I'm only quoting the teacher, it's not my opinion. But I think it does show the problem with many pepoles attitudes, and it's worth pointing out that sometimes it's hard not to be influenced by these veiws, even if they are wrong.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 pm

As a person who likes to study film and believes film to be a reflection of society, I believe film studies is just as important as math. That goes for general media studies too. That's just my opinion though. Our film classes are actually not that easy too.
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Syrons » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:38 am

Anything is mickey mouse, if you do not care about it.

It's the same as sport's in england we call some American sports mickey mouse sports because we do not care about them.

Same as Americans who like Indy car and nascar they think Formula One is a mickey mouse sport compare to them visa versa.

There's no such thing in my opinion.
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Syrons wrote:Anything is mickey mouse, if you do not care about it.

It's the same as sport's in england we call some American sports mickey mouse sports because we do not care about them.

Same as Americans who like Indy car and nascar they think Formula One is a mickey mouse sport compare to them visa versa.

There's no such thing in my opinion.

True. Sort of like how we in America generally don't care about rugby and think baseball is the greatest sport ever. It's all about perspective. I actually do like soccer though (most Americans don't care about it at all). Most Americans love "American" football, but I think of it as "Mickey Mouse" because I couldn't care less about it.
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cartouche » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:19 am

Well, different disciplines require different skills, so I imagine it would be extremely difficult to accurately set grade levels to ensure a similar level of attainment earns a similar grade. For my A-levels, I sat Geography, History, Maths with Stats, and German, and they were all quite different in the work which I had to do.

I still have a large problem with creative art subjects, because I find it hard to believe that most grades are awarded accurately, even if such a thing is possible. Art is subjective, so how can one examiner decide how fantastic something else? Maybe Mr. Da Vinci would have got a D for GCSE Art because the examiner prefers modern art...

Incidentally, I set the school record for General Studies, and still hold it, getting full marks on most papers, and getting high marks on the others despite not being able to finish writing in time. I'm lucky in that I don't suffer from dyscalcula, and in that I happened to be studying subjects that prepared me well for the exams. I do think GS has its merits, though, as it has such a wide range of possible questions that it truly tests you on your skills rather than your memory.
Look Again
Cartouche
Splendiferous Member

Return to Debate Forum