do we put too much important on looks

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

do we put too much important on looks

Postby dragoneatscheese » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:40 am

all we see is 'perfect' models without flews or should we put more important grades
do u argee and does this put presure on teenagers who feel anyone should be they need to be a stick insert
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:37 am

I do agree it can make girls want to be unrealistically and unattractively thin yes, but not all models are super thin, I think that cliché may be wearing off now. (wearing off, pun intended)
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby dragoneatscheese » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:24 pm

bad pun
i'm in my own world but it's ok they know me here
dragoneatscheese
Mega Poster

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:29 pm

dragoneatscheese wrote:bad pun

No such thing as a good pun is there! :lol:
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Radioactive_hairgel » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:05 pm

I think in the advertisment industry even if it does seem to be changing the iconic nagging is there "Yogurt...only...2 percent fat" etc etc that's still reinforcing the fact that one has to be 'watching' what they eat etc etc. But it's still the same...flick through most magazine's and you will see perfect beauitful woman.
I think the enigma of pressure on woman to look right will alwyas be present because one way or another it has been around for a while this is just my opinion but even if people say it's not as a young woman myself i do feel very consious of my body image alot of the time esp my weight etc...so i yes i think weather it be in the visual presentation of a skinny beautiful model or a subtle poster stressing the fact you could " loose a dress size" by eating this once a day or whatever the geneeral message is...you should be skinney and perfectly toned, perfect skin etc etc
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers

www.myspace.com/marthaduncanmusic
Radioactive_hairgel
Splendiferous Member

Postby Steph » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:03 pm

Yeah I definitely think too much emphasis is placed on looks particularly for women-as RHG says, there's always pressure for women to be a certain size, look etc, particularly in the media-I think the media has a lot to answer for when it comes to low self esteem in women!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Henri » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:09 pm

There is no doubt that the emphasis placed on appearance is ridiculous - and perhaps dangerously - too high in this day and age. The unfortunate truth, is that sex sells, thus scantily clad women with unrealistically perfect bodies plastered over newspapers and magazines is an issue we are going to have to get used to - welcome to capitalism.
Henri
Forum Master

Postby Alice » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Steph wrote:I think the media has a lot to answer for when it comes to low self esteem in women!

To be fair, even without the media we know today women have allways been under preasure to fit in with an ever changing 'perfect' image, and gone to extreme lengths to do so.

Corsets, poisonus eyedrops, lead face powder, in some cultures even breaking bones in their feet as children, there is probably a page long list of stupid, dangerous things women have done to their bodies to become closer to a shifting image they can never obtain. Eating dissorders, plastic surgery, and all the things that are happening now are just different ways of this happening. And the media is only one of the pressures that still exist.

The image is cultural, but mabye the drive is simply instinctive, who knows.

But I think for most girls it's the fact that even those who talk about how wrong this image obsession is, will make a snide comment about her weight, or point and giggle at the size of her feet. I mean, who here hasn't said something carless or hurtful at least once about a classmate or even a teacher? Mabye she seemed like she didn't care, but still, that doesn't mean she didn't go home and wish, for the thousanth time, that a very valid reason would go away.

It's wrong and it's sick and it's barbaric, that anyone should be forced to rely so much on seeking an often unhealthy ideal of beauty. But it's not going to go away if pepole keep pretending it's the fault of 'the almighty media' and continue to pass comment on those less than perfect.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

It's not entirely the media's fault, but I think the media is playing an important part on what we decide to wear and how we decide to look. We are bombarded by the media every day (at least where I live). It's bound to have some influence. On the other hand, the way you are brought up and the people you are around can help to counteract that influence the media has. For instance, most of my friends don't like people who are too skinny, but rather like people who are physically fit for their body. By this I mean people who look healthy. I am not completely skinny, but I do my best to stay healthy and fit. My friends and I aren't so influenced by the media that we need to stop eating or always be in fashion.

In the end, we just find the clothes that fit our personalities and try to keep active. Yes, the media does have some influence on our clothing and food choices, but ultimately it's us who decide how to interpret those images we see on tv or in a magazine. I can choose whether or not to eat a Slim Fast. I can choose whether I want to have clothes from the Thrift Store or clothes from Abercrombie. I can choose to wear what's "in" or choose not to wear it. People will still judge me about what I wear and how I look, but in the end, it's me who chooses what they judge, not the media.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum