The Dark Knight Crisis

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

The Dark Knight Crisis

Postby Bladen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:57 pm

Now I'm sure a few of you read the papers enough to know the massive protest against the 12A rating for this extremely violent and dark film, now what are your opinions, should this be reclassified as 15 or leave it as it is?

Personally I've felt the cinemas in this country have went downhill since 12A was introduced, movies like this which are deemed safe for ages 12 and up have no place for little screaming 5 year olds.
Parents are taking their kids into a film aimed at a demographic audience most likely not aimed towards them, go take them to see some PG or U film if you want that.

Thing is, 12A doesn't mean the film is going to be safe for kids below that age or the film would be likely PG instead. Now I'm not here to bitch about how the purpose of 12A defeats itself but rather this new Batman movie which is incredibly action and violence heavy, the controversy of knives and torture being frequent causing much controversy in the state of outrage of knife culture as it is, personally, I think if its enough to scare the kids into the truth of knives they'd know to beware, but lets be honest, what kind of yob would want to see a "Batman" film, these bastards are obsessed with looking adult like, going to see comicbook movies defeats that purpose!!
I mean sure you see the odd burberry laden cough or 2 at the back throwing their pockets at you for their own amusement from time to time but those are your typical arrogant pricks who don't even know their own culture or "fad" is I like to demote it to.

the example used again and again is the scene where the Joker jabs a dagger into the skull of a subordinate. Does this one scene of a 2 and a half hour film dictate the OVERALL age rating? The parents comments of "I took my 6/8/4/10 year old into this and was appalled" 12A film, top end of the spectrum so the authorities say, its your own risk with films like these, if your kids get some sort of psychological kick to the head from watching this, well its not exactly smart taking a kid into a film like this in the first place, even if said kid is obsessed with Batman/Spiderman as most little boys are, thing with DC comics and movies is, they're not as kid friendly as Marvel, they don't aim to do so, they retain a dark, harsh reality that shapes the personality and actions of a character villain or hero, that's the reality.

The film could be re rated but I don't care, the argument for the "own risk" still stands and that live action batman is no longer the comical masterpiece of the 60s but the more comic true incarnation of "The Dark Knight" who lives in the city of Gotham a hellhole of violence and crime.
THAT is Batman.

Now, let's hear your opinions my fellow compatriots. :roll:
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby champagne_supernova » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:34 am

Hi Bladen

I live in New Zealand, and we have a different rating system, but due to extensive censorship research prior to ever signing up here, I know the story with the UK:

U
PG
12A

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You've bought up some good points, but I am a strong believer in parental discretion. I'm against censorship of most artistic forms and I think interventions from censorship boards take away the responsibility of parents. The government intervenes a lot in the 21st century to "assist" parents; but I think it is counterproductive. If we continue along this slippery slope, parents will push for more and more "assistance" and less and less responsibility when it comes to dealing with their children. Personally, after seeing The Dark Knight, I wouldn't have strong issues with my little brother watching it, and he's seven. I'm quite liberal in my artistic tastes, and he's seen quite a few similar movies (King Kong, Spiderman III, what have you) so I wouldn't mind him watching it. But if my mother or father object to him viewing it, it's there job as parents to intervene.

Coming back to my anti - censorship stance; I believe that censorship of the arts has grown over the past 100 years. If it keeps growing, we might be seeing the thin edge of the totalitarian wedge, where government control soars to crazy standards. Recently in New Zealand, they've past a law that no members of parliament can be filmed sleeping in the house of parliament, because they fear people are going to use such material for satire. But MP's shouldn't be sleeping on the job. If they are, they deserve to be made fun of. Censorship is growing on us like crazy, and in a society of political correctness and moral paranoia, we need to stop it in its tracks.
"To love one's self is the beginning of a lifelong romance" - Lord Goring of 'An Ideal Husband' (written by Oscar Wilde)
champagne_supernova
Advanced Member

Postby Dork_Lord » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:04 am

In my opinion, they should never have bowed to pressure and made the 12A rating in the first place. A 12 rating would really have been perfect for that film, cause its pretty violent to be showing to children under 12, but certainly doesn't deserve a 15 rating.
Dork_Lord
Splendiferous Member

Postby jellyjay88 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:45 am

12A is a bitch! Why did it ever even come into existence? When I went to see Iron Man (12A) back in May, the whole cinema was filled with screaming, squawking school children, most of whom had no intention of staying sat still for more than ten minutes. It was a nightmare.

What was also really disturbing, was that the moment where a terrorist technically shot himself in the head got one of the biggest laughs from these brats (who looked about eight - ten) out of the entire film. Yes, that's right. People getting a bullet between the eyes is hilarious stuff... :?
jellyjay88
Advanced Member

Postby Remus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:04 pm

jellyjay88 wrote:12A is a bitch! Why did it ever even come into existence? When I went to see Iron Man (12A) back in May, the whole cinema was filled with screaming, squawking school children, most of whom had no intention of staying sat still for more than ten minutes. It was a nightmare.

What was also really disturbing, was that the moment where a terrorist technically shot himself in the head got one of the biggest laughs from these brats (who looked about eight - ten) out of the entire film. Yes, that's right. People getting a bullet between the eyes is hilarious stuff... :?

Same here! I went to go see Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End and there were lots of little kids making lots of noise. I remember one part this guy got stabbed in the chest and I was thinking if I had a 8 year old kid, I wouldn't be letting him watch things like that. Something needs to be done about the 12a certificate.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby jellyjay88 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:26 pm

I can actually remember thinking 12A was a bad idea when I first heard of it back in 2002. My aunt went to see Chicago, one of the first 12A films released, and took my grandpa, and her younger son, who would have been ...*counts on fingers*...seven at the time, and ended up leaving within the first twenty minutes having decided it simply wasn't suitable for the kid. As a result, they were all annoyed - my cousin had been dragged to see a 'boring' musical with no cartoons or explosions, my aunt was incensed because she felt she'd been conned into thinking the film was suitable for a seven year old (don't ask me what planet's she's from. It's the family mystery) and my grandpa, despite quite enjoying it, had been forced to leave.

I think the 'accompanied' part of the rating is constantly being misinterpretted as some other form of PG by parents.
jellyjay88
Advanced Member

Postby Bladen » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:36 pm

WHo in their right mind would take a 7 year old to see the Dark Knight anyway, the amount of violence is insane, the concept and the SFX are heavy.
Kids wont like it, even if its bat man
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Hermionefan5 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:05 pm

I dunno why people insist on taking their kids to see movies that are inappropriate for their age level. It was PG-13 in the U.S. (which I think is probably similar to 12A in the U.K.). I remember seeing a few little kids there when I saw it and I was thinking, "How did they even get in?" Then again, our theater lets in anyone to see any movie with or without parents. I know, I worked there before and had to comfort a kid who was very disturbed by "Freddy vs. Jason" because his parents took him to see it when he was eight. Parents need to get some common sense about the movies they're taking their kids to see.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby druchi » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:43 pm

I watched Alien when i was 7 yes i was scared but i was MEANT to be but i enjoyed the movie alot

im agianst censorship by goverment instead parents should be able to decide for themself what the child can and cannot see

Dark Knight violent and dark so that makes it somehow closed to children? what if the child likes that sort of thing? anyone ever think of that?

although it can be annoying "THATS A BADGUY" i still think it should be open to everyone and is better off that way

All in all no real issue here get back on with the more important things than in the movies with little kiddies...
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Hermionefan5 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:30 am

druchi wrote:I watched Alien when i was 7 yes i was scared but i was MEANT to be but i enjoyed the movie alot

im agianst censorship by goverment instead parents should be able to decide for themself what the child can and cannot see

Dark Knight violent and dark so that makes it somehow closed to children? what if the child likes that sort of thing? anyone ever think of that?

although it can be annoying "THATS A BADGUY" i still think it should be open to everyone and is better off that way

All in all no real issue here get back on with the more important things than in the movies with little kiddies...

I'm not saying all little kids shouldn't go see the new "Batman" or the newest scary movie, but parents should know what their kid can handle and if they can't handle it, don't take them to see it. The kid I comforted at "Freddy vs. Jason" was crying his eyes out in the hallway. It made me angry that his parents would take him to see such a thing when he clearly wasn't ready for it. Sure, parents can't know exactly what's going to go on in each movie or how the kid is going to react to it, but they can at least research the film a little before they go so they can make an educated decision on whether the kid should come. I just sometimes think its disturbing when a little child goes to a film that's so violent. But if they're able to take it, I guess it's okay. Ultimately, the ratings are there for a reason though and parents need to be more responsible. If people did that, censorship might not have to happen.

As a person who used to work in the movie theater industry, this is something I have great opinion on.
Image is from "Gilmore Girls" Season 1
"You are the same as everyone else."--"Forrest Gump"
"I want you to go out there and skate for these people like I have seen you skate."--"The Cutting Edge"
Hermionefan5
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby druchi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:50 am

Indeed

Irresponsible parents ruin it for the rest of us

but i really do think that censorship should be put just as a peice of advise not as an actuall ruling
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:00 pm

I watched Batman the other night for the 1st time and I was just shocked. I though how the hell did this get a 12a rating! It should be at least 15. The amount of times the Joker pulled out a knife on someone, I just though, who in the right mind would take a 12 year old to see this. Very disturbing...
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Bladen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Its a fine example of why the British Film Rating system's fucked IMO, you call this movie suitable for a 12 year old, anyone, anyone? No? Thought not.

Actually...

In today's Britain 12 year olds are premature charvs, its this type of stuff that nurtures their growth into the bastards we've seen, known, encountered etc... :roll:
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby intowiz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 am

Well know you might not find this film suitable for a 12 year old thats why its 12a. The 12a was created for spiderman. It had content that made it over the rating but it was aimed at children and fans because its a comic book film. Thats why the 12a it tells parents taht its a high rating and its at there discretion. I think the ratings apropriate though.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:13 pm

Of course but when I go to see Marvel/DC movies I'm not keen on screaming 9-10 year olds in front throughout the movie.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Next

Return to Debate Forum