War in Georgia.

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

War in Georgia.

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:56 pm

It's very likely you've heard of this, the Russians and the Georgians are having a conflict over an area of land and there's a lot of tension. 1,500 Georgians have been killed and there are now 10,000 Russian troops in Georgia. People are a little scared this will escalate into a larger conflict, especially if the US get involved, what do you guys think?
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fraser » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:27 pm

First of all, I think it's tragic that what is essentially a political fight has cost so many lives.
If the Ossetians want to be independant, then that's up to them, but it's clear that Russia wants South Ossetia to join them rather than becoming their own country.
Russia's been trying to bait NATO into a fight for a while. They provoked Georgia into attacking the separatists, and they're now using it as an excuse for an invasion. The UN won't act because Russia has a veto on the Security Council, so I think NATO needs to respond. I'm not suggesting we go to war with Russia, but we could - for instance - declare a no-fly zone over Georgia, and patrol it with NATO aircraft. Russia wouldn't risk out-right war with the West.
fraser
Forum Master

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:07 pm

fraser wrote:First of all, I think it's tragic that what is essentially a political fight has cost so many lives.
If the Ossetians want to be independant, then that's up to them, but it's clear that Russia wants South Ossetia to join them rather than becoming their own country.
Russia's been trying to bait NATO into a fight for a while. They provoked Georgia into attacking the separatists, and they're now using it as an excuse for an invasion. The UN won't act because Russia has a veto on the Security Council, so I think NATO needs to respond. I'm not suggesting we go to war with Russia, but we could - for instance - declare a no-fly zone over Georgia, and patrol it with NATO aircraft. Russia wouldn't risk out-right war with the West.

But didn't you say the Russians were baiting NATO? I'm not debating, I'm just interested.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby fraser » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:33 am

Yeah, but I still think Russia needs to be stood up to at some point, or they'll just keep pushing.
They've withdrawn now anyway, so at least it's over.
fraser
Forum Master

Return to Debate Forum