Homosexuality

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Homosexuality

Postby Fortnox » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:50 am

Since there are so many religious people here, without making any presumptions of your opinions, I wanted to know what people here think.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a mental/psychological issue- That is, it shouldn't BE an issue at all as history, biology and nature proves time and time again it isn't an issue, however to say it was fate, destiny or in your spirit to be gay is bizarre- You aren't destined to like same-sex when you're in the womb, either. Why on earth would our minds decide that when we're not even 10 years from being sexually active? I don't think it's a random balance of chemicals either, as you could argue that random balance of chemicals is decided by the hand of fate- no, it's nurture, as opposed to nature.
Perhaps it's a result of growing up in a constnatly sexually repressed culture or not having a father figure, maybe chromozones may help too- It should really be observed case-by-case rather than as a group, but my point is some people are sexually attracted to the same genders and some aren't- it's that simple, there's nothing spiritual or religious about it, It's the same as some people having skit fetishes, or bondage or.. Whatever floats your boat. It's bigger than such minor fetishes of course, but it's the same principle, sexual attraction differs from person to person.

So- is it unnatural? Should it concern politics? Why do we treat it as such a big deal?
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Brian » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:28 am

For starters I'm Catholic and I think the Pope has gone way over the top with his comments but he is that way a traditionalist and the Vatican and Catholic church treat Gay, Lesbian and Transgender people is horrible.

I believe some people are born gay / lesbian and some will become gay / lesbian and this debate always annoys me. Not everyone is all of a sudden going to be gay or lesbian for some something in there life will happen and that will be associated with LGBT culture
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Bladen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:34 am

Its the way people are, its not about how or why they like the same sex.
They are people, until the traditionalist Catholic people can accept that, well there's going to be a war of words and a lot of picket signs.

Its the way people are built, and to put it one way I can bend the belief of burn those who aren't like us into something that can label the followers as heretics.
Your god created man in his image, to question the way an individual is built is to question the will of god.
I'm atheist get over it, if I sound mean well blame that. I don't like watering down opinions and views to make people happy.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:47 am

Bladen, you're not actually arguing against anyone! We're all in agreement right now. I'm hoping for someone with a different opinion to find their way in, I want to know what justifies homophobia.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Bladen » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:49 am

I'm arguing against the rubber duck in the corner.
I always post like that, seems as if I'm arguing for or against something.
Make sense of it if you can because I can't explain it.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Remus » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:08 pm

Personally, I think if you're gay, you're gay. It's just the cards life deals you. Sure, you can pretend to be straight, date girls, maybe have a fake marriage but at the end of the day, you would be just causing more damage.

It's like us Dyspraxics, life dealt us that card and there is nothing we can do about it apart from get on with things. We could just go in denial, say we just clumsy but in the end, what difference would it make?

Recently, my college group had some people come in to talk about sexuality and talked to us about an art college tutor. He was openly gay and many students knew that but he was quite friendly and he was the type of person you could'nt not get on with. Anyway, one night he goes to a gay bar in Birmingham and hook up with this guy who took him back to his flat. There, the guy viciously battered him to death and chopped him into pieces. I just though how sad and tragic it was to think that a nice friendly guy died just because he was different.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cove ... 629827.stm

As for religion, stuff it. It causes so many problems in this world, I personally don't think it worth the trouble.

On a last thought, I certainly don't think people choose to be gay. I mean who would choose a life where you could face verbal/physical abuse and nothing but misery.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Personally, i think what people do with their lives is up to them. I don't think anyone should be discriminated for it.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:40 pm

On a last thought, I certainly don't think people choose to be gay. I mean who would choose a life where you could face verbal/physical abuse and nothing but misery.

My point exactly! It always astounds me when people make that argument!
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:44 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:Personally, i think what people do with their lives is up to them. I don't think anyone should be discriminated for it.
-

That's basically where I stand.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Bladen » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:49 pm

I think they deserve respect not crucifixion for their way of life, to take on so many hurdles, criticism and naive opinions of others.
Give these people medals.
Bladen
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Creative » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:28 pm

My friend is gay and as far as I know has never suffered any abuse. He is very open about being gay and came out when he was 18. I suspected he was gay for quite a while before that.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby Alice » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Most current theorys say that your preference is decided before you are born. I don't know if it's that or early life (although I've yet to see any evidence of it being down to environmental factors), but I'm fairly sure it's not a choice. I'm staight, and find it impossible to imagining liking another woman in that way, and mabye I'm jumping to conclusions here but I would assume that most pepole of whatever orientation are the same.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Alice wrote: I would assume that most pepole of whatever orientation are the same.

Unless they're Bisexual! - some of my friends are.

AgentR wrote:On a last thought, I certainly don't think people choose to be gay.

Thinking about it, some women DO choose to be gay - but for political reasons. I think they're called radical feminists. unless i've got the different fiminist groups mixed up. - I'm doing soiology at collage.
However, I think they're the one's who live in colanies seperate from men, so don't get the bad treatment. I think the ones who get most of the abuse for it are the ones who can't help it.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm NOT saying they all choose to, as most clearly don't. I'm just saying a few do.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Alice » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:46 pm

chocolatefudgecake wrote:Unless they're Bisexual! - some of my friends are.

True.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Brian » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:21 am

Bladen wrote:I think they deserve respect not crucifixion for their way of life, to take on so many hurdles, criticism and naive opinions of others.
Give these people medals.

Was cruxification ever mentioned , The Catholic Church has a strong Anti - LGBT view and no Christian country would execute people for being LGBT
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Next

Return to Debate Forum