Homosexuality

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Dan D Lyons » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Its good you think that way, but it makes it seem like he has chosen to be gay.

(please ignore if I have misread or something, I dont want to start a debate that has not much to do with the OPs post)
07williamsdj Nov 15, 2010 - Jul 11, 2012
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby nathanw-j » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:45 pm

druchi wrote:Would homosexual marriage destroy the sanctity of marriage?

My thoughts: no you can still get drunk and marry a hooker huzzah! the sanctity of marriage is saved!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby BethanyGillam » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:02 pm

i am a christian and i think that homosexuals being able to marry would not remove any sancyity, from the sanctity of marriage. God only asks for love everything else is irrelevent. so I think it is perfectly fine and should be incouraged Homosexuals deserve equal rights jesus said himself, "all men are equal in they eyes of God." So equal they should be with in the law.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Elessar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 pm

BethanyGillam wrote:i am a christian and i think that homosexuals being able to marry would not remove any sancyity, from the sanctity of marriage. God only asks for love everything else is irrelevent. so I think it is perfectly fine and should be incouraged Homosexuals deserve equal rights jesus said himself, "all men are equal in they eyes of God." So equal they should be with in the law.

Not that I disagree with this sentiment, but what would you say to fundies who quote Leviticus, and who say that a soul being of equal worth is nothing to do with how a relationship is or is not sanctioned?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar

Postby BethanyGillam » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Christians that quote verses in the old testament overlook that Jesus taught a lot against teachings in the pld testament. Forexample, "Moses said unto you an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth but i say unto you turn the other cheek." Also, Leviticus teaches that Gods people shouldn't eat pork yet christians eat pork. So I think that what it says in leviticus is an old teaching that many christians dont follow or believe anymore.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby chocolatefudgecake » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:45 pm

BethanyGillam wrote:Christians that quote verses in the old testament overlook that Jesus taught a lot against teachings in the pld testament. Forexample, "Moses said unto you an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth but i say unto you turn the other cheek." Also, Leviticus teaches that Gods people shouldn't eat pork yet christians eat pork. So I think that what it says in leviticus is an old teaching that many christians dont follow or believe anymore.

A guy at this Christian Camp I was on said to us that the reason they were told not to eat pork is because it wasn't safe to do so - apparently pigs can have lots of parasites in them. So to avoid getting ill from it, they were told not to eat it. Apparently lots of the rules had reasons like this that are no-longer valid.

I do wonder if the whole no same-sex couples thing was so people would go with people they could have children with, and thus populate the earth. But the world's population is big now, so we don't need to produce so many children.
-ChocFC-
A badger! a badger! My Kingdom for a Badger!
chocolatefudgecake
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Elessar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 pm

BethanyGillam wrote:Christians that quote verses in the old testament overlook that Jesus taught a lot against teachings in the pld testament. Forexample, "Moses said unto you an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth but i say unto you turn the other cheek." Also, Leviticus teaches that Gods people shouldn't eat pork yet christians eat pork. So I think that what it says in leviticus is an old teaching that many christians dont follow or believe anymore.

Fundies would also point out that Jesus was less progressive than the Old Testament when it came to marriage, citing that he reversed the rule on divorce, effectively saying it no longer existed.

Again, I am not against gay relationships, I am just trying to find out how people's minds work on this one.

It is a victory for stupidity, over common sense. As a reward, take a short holiday.... Did you enjoy it? Right, back to work!
Elessar

Postby HappyAndBouncy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:25 pm

I have nothing against gay, lesbian and transgender people and a few people in my family are gay. I think a lot of people overeact about gay people. I am for gay marriage which is a big disscussion point in England espescialliy in R.E at school (it's a catholic school and most of the teachers are opposed but the kids aren't). Some of my friends are gay or bisexual but my best mate is homophobic which makes it awkward.
HappyAndBouncy

Postby Dan D Lyons » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Today David Cameron announced that he wants churches to be allowed to conduct same-sex marriges. I think that this is a step in the right direction and it gives me hope that, if I want to, I will be able to marry.
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Dan D Lyons wrote:Today David Cameron announced that he wants churches to be allowed to conduct same-sex marriges. I think that this is a step in the right direction and it gives me hope that, if I want to, I will be able to marry.

That's good then, PM isn't completely hopeless! :P
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Dan D Lyons » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:07 pm

I spoke to soon sorry. It is now "illeagle".
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby Elessar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Only for CoE and CoW (who were both largely against it). The actual act of marrying isn't in any other Christian church that allows it. And let's be honest, it was already widely practised through civil partnerships anyway. You are defined by what you think of yourself, not what piece of paper you are allowed to have.

Elessar

Postby Dan D Lyons » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Its not just that, I probably wouldn't ever marry through a church, its just that I know gay chrisitians who would love to marry through the church. I also feel that this kind of descrimnation is just old fashioned and not acceptable any-more.
Dan D Lyons
Mega Poster

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 am

My religion actually accepts homosexuality. A quote from our 10 rules of life:
"I see no difference between the races and genders of this world, and all should be free to love who they want."
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Apparently Catholocism has now partially accepted homosexuality.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23489702
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum