Homosexuality

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Postby Spoon » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:45 pm

I know. I was explaining to other people what queer is and also pointing out that due to the nature of the term it's hard to say that someone can be queer from birth because they haven't been exposed to any societal norms - I was differentiating it from gay/bi/hetero-ness which is generally seen as more biological where as queer (as it's political) has to have more of a social element.
Spoon
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: London

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Xenavire » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:53 am

Seriously. Who cares if its a born thing or a social thing? If people get obsessed it will lead to TESTING of which it is... and I dont mean little theories, it will be gene manipulation therapy... Most likely starting on rats etc... But if they do that and find the cause.. The church is going to pull big legal manouvers to make i compulsory to have a "vaccine" against being differently oriented. I personally think everyone should chill out, because its almost a form of homophobia to be so obsessed with it, because its like figuring out what gene makes a person black or asian so you can make a person white instead... Just drop the subject and let the people live thier lives in peace, and THEY can do the research if they want, because it wont end up in the hands of some biggot who wants to go "Hitler" on LGBT people.

I have a few gay/bi friends (though I dont remember ever meeting a transgender... almost dissapionting actually ^^...) nd they are often more interesting than my straight friends, and I eel more comfortble asking them some things than I would a straight friend. This doesnt make me gay either, though the only reason I would object to someone calling me gay now is because I am engaged to a wonderful girl <3... And as it so happens, I do think some people can conciously choose itt, I was considering it before I met my sweetheart... I thought I would never meet a nice girl XP because I was so much of a geek. (guys dont seem to care quite so much... I wasnt thinking of going for second best D=)

So yeah... theres nothing wrong with other life chioces/styles or races... although I do understand if someone who has been abused is scared.. Just as long as they dont take thier anger out on anyone who doesnt deserve it. Its entirely possible too that the people doing the abusing had been abused themselves, so someones got to choose to be the bigger person... that takes one hell of a couragous person... to go through that and not repeat it or hurt someone else... I almost wish I could help everyone be like that... but I am hardly able to...

Lastly: I am more likely to support a differently oriented or differently coloured person than someone like myself (white/straight) because they have less people willing to stand up for them. I hate bullies (and the KKK etc) a LOT.
My name is Merlin... what more need I say?
Image
User avatar
Xenavire
Super Poster
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Creative » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:40 pm

I know someone who is transgender. I thought it would be strange when the person decided to become a woman but it wasnt.
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Macha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:46 pm

My opinion on this, and many other subjects (religion, political views, etc.) is this:

I'll respect your opinions if you respect mine. I don't mind gay people. What I do hate is the in your face type gays, like one I met at a disco, who everytime a guy sat down, he came over and started gyrating himself, dancing WAY too close and generally being a pain. Likewise, I have a problem with religous people who make statements like "Gays should be shot".
User avatar
Macha
Forum Master
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Macha wrote:My opinion on this, and many other subjects (religion, political views, etc.) is this:

I'll respect your opinions if you respect mine. I don't mind gay people. What I do hate is the in your face type gays, like one I met at a disco, who everytime a guy sat down, he came over and started gyrating himself, dancing WAY too close and generally being a pain. Likewise, I have a problem with religous people who make statements like "Gays should be shot".


I wholeheartedly agree.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1722
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Alice » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Xenavire wrote:Seriously. Who cares if its a born thing or a social thing? If people get obsessed it will lead to TESTING of which it is... and I dont mean little theories, it will be gene manipulation therapy... Most likely starting on rats etc... But if they do that and find the cause.. The church is going to pull big legal manouvers to make i compulsory to have a "vaccine" against being differently oriented. I personally think everyone should chill out, because its almost a form of homophobia to be so obsessed with it, because its like figuring out what gene makes a person black or asian so you can make a person white instead... Just drop the subject and let the people live thier lives in peace, and THEY can do the research if they want, because it wont end up in the hands of some biggot who wants to go "Hitler" on LGBT people.

The church isn't a force of evil bent on destroying all forms of individual will through conspiracy with major governments, contrary to popular opinion. Also, if such a vaccine where possible then it would probably count as playing god anyway.

I don't know why pepole keep comparing being gay to being black. We know why pepole are black, we're only just becoming sure why pepole are gay. Being black is something that affects your hair and skin (as well as having a slightly different facial structure), being gay is something which effects your brain. Being gay is something you can choose how subtle you are about it, if you are black then it's obvious. It's not at all acurate to lump homophobia in with racism. Both are silly, both cause damage, but their the similarity ends.

You say testing like it's something that's automatically going to involve horrible things happening to those involved. By gene manipulation therapy, I asume you mean genetic engeneering. I don't know what you mean by "starting on rats..." because that implies it's common practice to genetically engineer other speicies once you've already proved your point. It's quite sad to see that pepole are still so afraid of things that are to do with science. Also, you missunderstand the perpouse of this sort of curiosity. If it turns out to be genetic it will be easier to convince pepeole to be more accepting, as it will if there turns out to be an early life cause. Also, some pepole just want to find out about things, and don't need another reason. Either way, having more understanding of what makes pepole gay can't do any harm towards making it less of a scary concept for pepole who are still closed minded about it.
User avatar
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Alice » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Sorry, I double posted by mistake. :oops:
Last edited by Alice on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Spoon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Macha wrote:My opinion on this, and many other subjects (religion, political views, etc.) is this:

I'll respect your opinions if you respect mine. I don't mind gay people. What I do hate is the in your face type gays, like one I met at a disco, who everytime a guy sat down, he came over and started gyrating himself, dancing WAY too close and generally being a pain.

I don't think the annoyance you're referring to here is about the person being gay at all. If it was a straight guy doing it to a girl you'd probably be just as irritated. And anyway, how do you know he was gay and not just a drunk guy being an annoyance?

Being gay is something you can choose how subtle you are about it, if you are black then it's obvious. It's not at all acurate to lump homophobia in with racism. Both are silly, both cause damage, but their the similarity ends.


Why should anyone have to choose how subtley they express themselves? If you're referring to similar incidents to the one above then again I think you're referring to someone being overly sexual rather than anything to do with whom they may be attracted to. If you're referring to someone being camp, or butch or any other expression associated with homosexuality then I'd ask you to question why that is a less valid form of personal expression than anything any stereotypical straight person might do?
Spoon
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: London

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Alice » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:39 am

Spoon wrote:
Being gay is something you can choose how subtle you are about it, if you are black then it's obvious. It's not at all acurate to lump homophobia in with racism. Both are silly, both cause damage, but their the similarity ends.


Why should anyone have to choose how subtley they express themselves? If you're referring to similar incidents to the one above then again I think you're referring to someone being overly sexual rather than anything to do with whom they may be attracted to. If you're referring to someone being camp, or butch or any other expression associated with homosexuality then I'd ask you to question why that is a less valid form of personal expression than anything any stereotypical straight person might do?


Firstly, I didn't say pepole shouldn't express themselves, I said they don't have to. Secondly, the way a minority conducts itself is different from the way a majority does. I supress alot of repetetive behaviours like rocking when I'm around pepole who don't know me really well, that's part of me but I still have to behave in a way that makes other pepole feel comfortable. Thirdly, just the fact that it's possible to hide makes it different. Even if it's a horribly unfair choice, it's still a choice.

I'm not saying it's right to be homophobic, but it is completeley different to racism.
User avatar
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Homosexuality

Postby xLittleHannahx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 am

Thought id add my opinion here.

First off: Being homsexual (Gay, Lez,Bi, Queer or whatever other terms you want to use) is, in my view, completely normal. Ok, yes i understand its against societies norms and values but why should it be in todays society? I mean people are starting to accept people of different races more and more, im not compairing this to racism but its a valid point, surely the same should be true of people with different sexual orientations to the main society.

Secondly; I beleive that people are probably born being either hetrosexual or homosexual, but i suppose this is becuase im down the determinsim line within free-will/Determinism debate .Basicially what im saying here that we don't really have much free will but we beleive we have although i dont fully beleive in that as i choose to write this and i choose what im wearing etc etc but thats a whole other debate!. So to sum this point up; people may beleive they are choosing to be homosexual, but really i beleive that its a choice that was made for them .Having said that, i beleive that they, and infact all us hetrosexual people aswell, were free to choose their own partner(s).

Sorry if that didn't make much sense to anyone but it did to me.
"Wishing on a star......"
xLittleHannahx
Super Poster
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:59 am
Location: UK,Tamworth!

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:12 am

My view has changed on this topic.

I now think that alot of the culture is wrong and I think that Gays or Lesbians should not be allowed to get married aswell because my belief is marriage is between a man & a women but they should be allowed to have special partnerships.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Homosexuality

Postby xLittleHannahx » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:08 am

Brian wrote:My view has changed on this topic.

I now think that alot of the culture is wrong and I think that Gays or Lesbians should not be allowed to get married aswell because my belief is marriage is between a man & a women but they should be allowed to have special partnerships.


Thats extremely, in my view anyway, unfair statement. Your statement on "special partnerships" is true anyway; its known as a "Civil Partnership" which gives them the same rights as a married couple without them being actually "married". Saying you think "the culture is wrong" and that "gays and lesbians should not be allowed to married" is basically, in my opinion, denying people who you see as "different" or whatever their own human rights. Yes,the view that we all, myself included, think of marriage is between a man and a woman is what first comes into mind when we think of the word but it doesnt mean there are different types.
"Wishing on a star......"
xLittleHannahx
Super Poster
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:59 am
Location: UK,Tamworth!

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Alice » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:51 am

Well, I know I'm not going to be liked for saying this, but a gay relationship is different from one between a man and a woman. It's not unfair to say it shouldn't be called marriage, because marriage represents a very specific kind of relationship. Men and Women have different behaviours and ways of thinking to each other that go beyond those aknowlaged by gender steriotypes. In a relationship where those ways of thinking are so similar for both pepole, even though there is the same level of comitment and the same amount of care, it's not the same kind of relationship. Marrage is the word we use for a permanent romantic relationship between a man and a woman. Why can't there be a different word for a permanent romantic relationship between two pepole of the same gender? Just because two things are different doesn't mean one set of pepole is loosing out.

Incidentally, being gay hasn't always been considered wrong. Before christianity got a foothold it was a normal part of allot of socioties. Although gay relationships where always treated differently to straight ones, and you where expected to get married to. It has nothing to do with the other paragraph, but it's interesting to know.
User avatar
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Spoon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:39 pm

A lot of people aspire to get married at some point in their lives. Even kids play games about weddings and get excited about finding someone. Then, at some point in their lives if they're in a same gender relationship then they're told that actually they can't fulfill that which further reinforces the idea that a gay relationship is not as valid as a straight one. You don't get the same legal rights if you're in a civil partnership, you can't have a religious ceremony and unlike the rights of marriage it's much easier for the government to decide they don't want civil partnerships anymore (see prop 8 in san Fransisco.)
Spoon
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: London

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:15 pm

Spoon wrote:A lot of people aspire to get married at some point in their lives. Even kids play games about weddings and get excited about finding someone. Then, at some point in their lives if they're in a same gender relationship then they're told that actually they can't fulfill that which further reinforces the idea that a gay relationship is not as valid as a straight one. You don't get the same legal rights if you're in a civil partnership, you can't have a religious ceremony and unlike the rights of marriage it's much easier for the government to decide they don't want civil partnerships anymore (see prop 8 in san Fransisco.)


There is only one religous order in the World which has a ceremony for Gay and Lesbian marraiges
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest