Homosexuality

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Homosexuality

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Alice wrote:Well, I know I'm not going to be liked for saying this, but a gay relationship is different from one between a man and a woman.

I don't see why that is. Can you elaborate?
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Cynamon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Brian wrote:There is only one religous order in the World which has a ceremony for Gay and Lesbian marraiges

Which one?
Cynamon

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:30 pm

Cynamon wrote:
Brian wrote:There is only one religous order in the World which has a ceremony for Gay and Lesbian marraiges

Which one?

Don't know the name but it is in America, it was on around the world in 80 faiths when I flicked on and watched a small bit of it.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Cynamon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Oh okay. Never seen it.
Cynamon

Postby parnassus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:11 am

I'm not sure about that, Brian. Same-sex weddings are definitely possible in Unitarianism, Quakerism, and liberal Judaism. It is also possible to find Christian ministers from various denominations who are happy to conduct a same-sex wedding, even though lots of other people within their church might disagree with it. We had a college chaplain like that at Cambridge. It is becoming more and more accepted in different religious groups.

I was glad when civil partnerships were legalised in this country, and I was upset when Prop 8 passed. The reasons for this are chiefly practical: I don't think it's fair for committed homosexual couples to be excluded from all the financial and societal benefits that come with marriage. It is a form of discrimination. I also think it's important that people should be able to make their own choices about who they want to share their lives with. The state can't make the decision for them.

As for my personal stance, I am a traditional practising Catholic and my beliefs about marriage are traditional Catholic beliefs. I don't think that Catholic teaching is homophobic or exclusionist (although a lot of Catholics in the pews may be). It's important to remember that the teachings extend beyond, "You can get married. You can't." We don't see the single life as something lonely or second-rate, but as an important vocation in its own right. The notion that it must be a lonely and emotionally crippling way to live comes from present-day culture, where relationships are marketed as essentials practically everywhere you look. Glossy front covers of teen magazines ("10 ways to get your guy!"). Television adverts for package holidays. Radio adverts for kitchen cleaning products. Unfortunately this mentality has affected Catholics to no small degree, which explains the unwillingness of so many people to even consider that they might be called to be single. The monastery, the convent, the priesthood, the single life - there was a time when most Catholics could appreciate their value. Now celibacy has become something alarming and marriage is the best, 'safest' option. It is only in this cultural climate that Catholic beliefs on marriage can appear exclusionist, because who would want to exclude anyone from the safety net? Consequently non-Catholics may receive confused signals about the value of the single life within Catholicism. With so many Catholics behaving as though it's something to be avoided at all costs, it does look second-rate. And of course it would be discriminatory for the first-rate life plan to be offered only to heterosexual couples - if vocation could be understood in terms of best and second-best, that is. But it isn't like that, and it shouldn't be seen that way.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Vicky I have a question.

Would you wed a homosexual couple if you had the power to do so?
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby darkrose287 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 pm

I think that being gay is definately not a choice; I am bi and I was terrified to come out until I was 16, although I knew I liked girls and boys much younger, and was terrified of what that meant.
I dont particuarly think being flamboyantly gay exists; I think you can be very over-sexual, but surely it makes no difference if theyre straight or gay?
With the whole marrage debate:
I think there should be something in place for gay couples. We have a civil partnership.
I think a church is perfectly justified in saying no to gay marrage; if it goes against the teachings of that religion i see no reason why they should be forced to do it.
However, I think there needs to be some seperation of the church and state, the government shouldnt deny gay couples the same rights as straight ones.
If that made sence.
darkrose287

Postby jemstein123 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:25 pm

well as a lebian myself i respect all religions and sexuality.. its no real concern of mine.
I think ethnic discrimination and homophobia are on the same level and with many generations i don't think all discrimination will be gone with
its a shame but thats society.
I was 15 when i came out..its a really scary and brave thing to do..
jemstein123
Advanced Member

Postby satine22 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:43 pm

Hey as a person with Bi sexual tendancies. I say that because i have had a girlfriend for a whole year (and im a girl)but im more strongly attracted to guys. i think its a bit of a problem because people dont know how to treat you. For example im a guide leader and the problem is should i be trusted with the girls when they are getting undressed or should i be placed in a room of my own? well im allowed in because 11 year olds arent really my thing :D but yeah its hard. I think when i told my mum she just saw a lack of grand children!
satine22

Postby druchi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:42 am

Most of you know my stance, we cant force people to accept homosexuality you have to allow the choice between being an asshole and accepting of others.

Also anyone who is stupid enough to get married should be let same rights and stuff it isnt fair that you should be treated diffrently. Same with the Military they are paid to kill people but cant take a guy looking them up and down? pfft look at the navy.

Although it is important for people who do not see my way of thinking to be allowed to vent what they think because the only way we can change attitudes to homosexuality is really to talk about it civilly and not to denounce those who disagree with us straight away, we need to see the different points of view and come to a conclusion a good compromise would be to allow the same rights but as has been suggested just a diffrent name although I do not believe that allowing gay marriage will cause the end of all things America to collapse, China to grow stronger, the UK to descend into dis-order, or make everyone metrosexual and invading lobsters to take over.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby KILBAHA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:13 am

When god made the world, he made adam and eve, not adam and steve. People are surposed to have relationships with the oposite sex, not the same sex
KILBAHA

Postby Elyssaen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:29 pm

KILBAHA wrote:When god made the world, he made adam and eve, not adam and steve. People are surposed to have relationships with the oposite sex, not the same sex

Supposed to? There's little point in a creation where humans are expected by a creator to follow a prescriptive set of rules. Such a creator would surely have no difficulty creating machines that followed rules, but that's not the universe we live in. If you believe in a creator, then, why don't you believe he/she/it planned for an evolution of values, allowing humans to approach 'perfect morality' through experience – and, at times, hardship?

The tale of Adam and Eve is allegorical, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't indicate what you're suggesting it does. We're not here to entirely mimic Adam and Eve. Indeed, carrying on the idea as if we were, we'd surely be a disappointment – as they were. Further to that, Adam and Eve are necessarily of different sexes because in the tale they needed to be able to procreate. That doesn't indicate that all love must be for that aim.

Religious books of the Abrahamic religion are ancient texts written by men. While they can have great moral insight, they were also written by men during those times. Their perspective is not entirely infallible. One of the downsides of religion is that it often holds as holy an ancient period of human history, in which our morality and compassion weren't as developed as they are now. That then allows unkind or unhappy people to find leverage for hateful thoughts.

As a society, humanity has grown beyond thinking that homosexuality is wrong just because it's different. Let's not let religious books written by people millenia ago hold us back from that. If we do, we're clinging to the letter of the book, and not the spirit of it.

EDIT: If you're a Muslim, then I apologise for my third paragraph. Unfortunately from my perspective, Islam believes that their holy book is actually written by their god, and thus is infallible. I do not envy Muslims the task of trying to evolve morally in the face of a book which they can't recognise as being a product of its time.
Elyssaen

Postby bpcooper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:05 pm

KILBAHA wrote:When god made the world, he made adam and eve, not adam and steve. People are surposed to have relationships with the oposite sex, not the same sex

To be honest i've found that offensive. Ok yes just because you aren't homosexual doesn't mean that people can't be. Just because what they get up to isn't "right" doesn't mean they're any less human.
bpcooper
Mega Poster

Postby Remus » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:51 pm

So? Just because you are supposed to do something doesn't mean you have to do it. People aren't supposed to break the law but they do. People are suppose to go to that boring office meeting but some people instead decide to have a sneaky day off work. There is a lot of things people are suppose to do in life but it is up to nobody but that individual to make their choices. Personally, as long as you're not hurting anyone, I say do what you want regards of what anyone else thinks.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 am

A book which may be extremely helpful to anyone reconciling same-sex attaction and faith (especially Roman Catholic CHristianity):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Gay-Davi ... 680&sr=8-1

It is alled "Beyond Gay" and is about a man who is attracted to other men but refuses to let it define him.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum