Organic Produce

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Do you buy organic when you can

Yes.
10%
Will do when it's my choice.
15%
I mean too, but don't always.
10%
No, because of expense.
15%
No, on principle.
15%
I've never really thought about it.
15%
Other (please specify).
20%

Total votes : 20

Organic Produce

Postby Alice » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Do you think the increacing amount of organic produce is a good thing?

I have a problem with the fact that I cannot buy anything that is either considered an expensive food or is fairtrade without it being organic. It's like the world is now devided into eco-worriors and pepole who don't care where their food comes from. But I can't be the only one who realises that the pepole too farming space ratio is too low too feed the population organicaly. I'm especially anoyed about the fairtrade, as I want to be as responsible as possible when I eventually have to buy my own food, but I think supporting the deliberate use of inefficiant farming tecniques is iressponsible.

However, I know their is a market for it, and I know that market contains intelegent, rational pepole. So I'd like to hear some other pepoles veiws on the topic, preferably for both sides of the argument.
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Organic Produce

Postby intowiz » Fri May 01, 2009 9:12 am

I try to buy organic and free range stuff but it's not the main thing I think about when I shop.
"Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once."
Old manx sailor, Moby dick
intowiz
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Brian » Sat May 02, 2009 12:48 am

intowiz wrote:I try to buy organic and free range stuff but it's not the main thing I think about when I shop.

Same here but there is some stuff I will buy thats organic.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Remus » Sat May 02, 2009 12:51 am

Alice wrote:It's like the world is now devided into eco-worriors and pepole who don't care where their food comes from.

Go Eco-warriors! :P

Well, my mum does the shopping, not me but I do advise her on what to buy. We don't buy organic stuff, just because of the fact it is expensive. We do buy free range items though especially eggs, just the though of those poor chickens being locked up in battery cages, it sickens me.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby k9ruby » Sat May 02, 2009 6:02 pm

I try to keep to organic food as:

- Its natural. Your body wasn't really made to digest pesticides, although it just might make do it wasn't quite designed that way!

- I'm sure its healthier for you. Take for example. I can eat loads of organic chocolate/sweets/unhealthy stuff without too much after effects, apart from being stuffed. If I try and do this with normal 'non organic' food, I end up feeling really ill - my stomach feels bloated and I feel sick half the night and get crampy.

- Downside it is expensive, but I would rather treat myself to green and blacks than buy a funnily giant bar of galaxy (although I do love them!).

- I am an extremely healthy person. I have never got anything more serious than the common cold (which is rare for me! - people at school joke about how I'm always the one person who is the last one to go down with something or is the only one who 'gets away with it'!)

- I have never had to take antibiotics for infections. I was once supposed to be on some for 10 days for a decent sized cut on my finger - I stopped after 3 as the wound healed!
k9ruby
Site Admin

Postby Katielauren2001 » Sat May 16, 2009 1:27 pm

No because of expense and if they want my Mum to be convinced they will have to reduce to bargain-hunting prices. I do care where my food comes from, but I don't want to spend my whole life worrying what I am putting in my body and reading the back of packets. During these hard times, and people have plenty of mouths to feed and other bills and expenses to pay they are not thinking of what is healthy. If the MPs hadn't put this country on its knees, with their expenses im sure it would be easier for normal familes to buy organic foods.
Dyspraxia is me I would never change that :)
Katielauren2001
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19 am

If organic food was healthier there would be lots of studies to prove it. It's more of a placebo effect. If the pesticides were bad for us they wouldn't be used. DDT was bad but there have been no other major issues since.

So, no, on principle.

However I am quite happy to buy free range and fair trade as they have a clear advantage.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby mysticalwater » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:20 pm

no they are way to expensive!
mysticalwater
Super Poster

Postby Page » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:42 am

Not even the food from my own garden is organic. It's just too hard to do it that way (the bugs never stop attacking the plants) which is why its so expensive. I always lose a little bit of my vegetables to pests, but I manage to save most of them because I spray often.
Page
Mega Poster

Postby kerrianne92 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:17 pm

The stuff we grow on our allotment is completely organic. although we dont have a lot of trouble with pests, tis probaly why we dont have to use chemicals.
They will not force us, They will stop degrading us, They will not control us, We will be victorious - Muse
kerrianne92
Mega Poster

Return to Debate Forum