BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Steph » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:01 pm

So let me get this straight. You have a strong desire not to work for "the man" but, in avoiding that, you'd be OK living off earnings that come from taking advantage of vulnerable people. That literally makes no sense to me at all!
Steph
Forum God !
 
Posts: 7853
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Surrey, south east England

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:08 pm

Steph wrote:So let me get this straight. You have a strong desire not to work for "the man" but, in avoiding that, you'd be OK living off earnings that come from taking advantage of vulnerable people. That literally makes no sense to me at all!


I think he may just be trolling us.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Fortnox » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Dan wrote:If you just want to deal cannabis, I say fair enough, but if you plan on dealing heroin and meth, then you should seriously reconsider.


Nah don't worry I'd probably just grow a few hemp plants, salvia and shrooms, maybe pull the right strings to get some LSD, LSA and 2CE and sell them off at higher prices. Whatever the case I'd help my clients out, refer them to educated studies and give them advice. Probably sell quite quietly in a suburban neighbourhood too, to avoid getting muscled out by the real businessmen in the busier parts of town.

Dan wrote:
Steph wrote:So let me get this straight. You have a strong desire not to work for "the man" but, in avoiding that, you'd be OK living off earnings that come from taking advantage of vulnerable people. That literally makes no sense to me at all!


I think he may just be trolling us.


Remember when "trolling" was cool, different and edgy?
Well, no, you don't. This is somewhat reminiscent of when I was 14 and everyone around me started saying "owned!" and "leet". Man, I liked gay internet catch phrases when they were cool.

Steph wrote:So let me get this straight. You have a strong desire not to work for "the man" but, in avoiding that, you'd be OK living off earnings that come from taking advantage of vulnerable people. That literally makes no sense to me at all!


Don't get me wrong, I don't mean scamming like selling fake stuff, I just mean wasting people's time and making them look at my shitton of ads so I get less than a shitton of money. I also have a few website ideas that would be piss easy to make and produce ridiculous amounts of income.
Image
User avatar
Fortnox
Forum Master
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Fortnox wrote:
Dan wrote:If you just want to deal cannabis, I say fair enough, but if you plan on dealing heroin and meth, then you should seriously reconsider.


Nah don't worry I'd probably just grow a few hemp plants, salvia and shrooms, maybe pull the right strings to get some LSD, LSA and 2CE and sell them off at higher prices. Whatever the case I'd help my clients out, refer them to educated studies and give them advice. Probably sell quite quietly in a suburban neighbourhood too, to avoid getting muscled out by the real businessmen in the busier parts of town.

Dan wrote:
Steph wrote:So let me get this straight. You have a strong desire not to work for "the man" but, in avoiding that, you'd be OK living off earnings that come from taking advantage of vulnerable people. That literally makes no sense to me at all!


I think he may just be trolling us.


Remember when "trolling" was cool, different and edgy?
Well, no, you don't. This is somewhat reminiscent of when I was 14 and everyone around me started saying "owned!" and "leet". Man, I liked gay internet catch phrases when they were cool.

Steph wrote:So let me get this straight. You have a strong desire not to work for "the man" but, in avoiding that, you'd be OK living off earnings that come from taking advantage of vulnerable people. That literally makes no sense to me at all!


Don't get me wrong, I don't mean scamming like selling fake stuff, I just mean wasting people's time and making them look at my shitton of ads so I get less than a shitton of money. I also have a few website ideas that would be piss easy to make and produce ridiculous amounts of income.


Well, I genuinely thought you may be trolling, though I know that word gets thrown around way too much lately.

Also, I don't see much of a problem with dealing LSD, 2C-E etc as they're not what I'd call hard drugs, I don't condone it either, but if it's for a worthy cause then why not. However, your money is still coming out of a society so it hardly backs up your point that much.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Can we please get back on topic?
Image
User avatar
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5688
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:37 am
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, England

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Fortnox » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:42 am

Dan wrote:Also, I don't see much of a problem with dealing LSD, 2C-E etc as they're not what I'd call hard drugs, I don't condone it either, but if it's for a worthy cause then why not. However, your money is still coming out of a society so it hardly backs up your point that much.


As opposed to going *into* society!
Image
User avatar
Fortnox
Forum Master
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Dan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Fortnox wrote:
Dan wrote:Also, I don't see much of a problem with dealing LSD, 2C-E etc as they're not what I'd call hard drugs, I don't condone it either, but if it's for a worthy cause then why not. However, your money is still coming out of a society so it hardly backs up your point that much.


As opposed to going *into* society!


So draining society of money is a worthy cause? =/
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Ok, seriously, let's get back on topic.

The reason it's easier for the BNP to get a seat in the EP than Westmister is because the EP uses proportional representationinstead of a first-past-the-post system.

Many people see the proportional representation system as fairer because it recognises all votes, not just those for the biggest parties. However, the disadvantage is that tiny,extreme parties (like the BNP) can get seats and, in coalitions with no clear majority, hold larger parties to ransom on key issues - disproportional power.

Howevr, the first-past-the-post system means that parties can have a clear majority of seats despite having a minority of the vote, which is obviously disproportionate.

What do people think about proportional representation?
Image
User avatar
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5688
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:37 am
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, England

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Ok, seriously, let's get back on topic.

The reason it's easier for the BNP to get a seat in the EP than Westmister is because the EP uses proportional representationinstead of a first-past-the-post system.

Many people see the proportional representation system as fairer because it recognises all votes, not just those for the biggest parties. However, the disadvantage is that tiny,extreme parties (like the BNP) can get seats and, in coalitions with no clear majority, hold larger parties to ransom on key issues - disproportional power.

Howevr, the first-past-the-post system means that parties can have a clear majority of seats despite having a minority of the vote, which is obviously disproportionate.

What do people think about proportional representation?

I wouldn't presume to comment on a comparson bettween two system I don't undestand. It's not that I have no interest in politics, but I find it hard to find unbiased sources of information on how systems work.
User avatar
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Yes - I appreciate wikipedia isn't exactly the world's most reliable source, but it is more neutral than anything else I could find quickly.
Image
User avatar
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5688
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:37 am
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, England

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:21 am

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Ok, seriously, let's get back on topic.

The reason it's easier for the BNP to get a seat in the EP than Westmister is because the EP uses proportional representationinstead of a first-past-the-post system.

Many people see the proportional representation system as fairer because it recognises all votes, not just those for the biggest parties. However, the disadvantage is that tiny,extreme parties (like the BNP) can get seats and, in coalitions with no clear majority, hold larger parties to ransom on key issues - disproportional power.

Howevr, the first-past-the-post system means that parties can have a clear majority of seats despite having a minority of the vote, which is obviously disproportionate.

What do people think about proportional representation?


My favourite one is the alternate voting system, where you vote your first and second choices, so if I voted BNP then labour for example, it means if BNP lose the first round, my labour vote counts. BNP are unlikely to have got in if this system was in place.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Fortnox » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:34 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Ok, seriously, let's get back on topic.

The reason it's easier for the BNP to get a seat in the EP than Westmister is because the EP uses proportional representationinstead of a first-past-the-post system.

Many people see the proportional representation system as fairer because it recognises all votes, not just those for the biggest parties. However, the disadvantage is that tiny,extreme parties (like the BNP) can get seats and, in coalitions with no clear majority, hold larger parties to ransom on key issues - disproportional power.

Howevr, the first-past-the-post system means that parties can have a clear majority of seats despite having a minority of the vote, which is obviously disproportionate.

What do people think about proportional representation?


Welcome to Democracy in action. The FPTP system is not fair and barely Democratic. A proportional representation system works, just because the BNP now gets a small say in things is actually a good thing for the proportional representation- the small ammount of crazy people out there are being proportionally represented. I see nothing wrong there.
Image
User avatar
Fortnox
Forum Master
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Alice » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Yes - I appreciate wikipedia isn't exactly the world's most reliable source, but it is more neutral than anything else I could find quickly.

I wasn't trying to critise your post. I genuinely don't want to comment because I really don't have enough reliable information.
User avatar
Alice
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1772
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Dan wrote:My favourite one is the alternate voting system, where you vote your first and second choices, so if I voted BNP then labour for example, it means if BNP lose the first round, my labour vote counts. BNP are unlikely to have got in if this system was in place.


The UK have the straight vote system which means they have one vote only but other style has a serious amounts of drawbacks. In ireland one of the candidates in a general election got a massive amount of #1 votes but a fellow party member got a very low amount of #1 votes but the majority of those who voted for the candidate who got a high number of votes gave their #2 votes to his fellow party member and as a result he got elected by the amount of #2 votes he got, which is a hard on those who got the 2nd and 3rd highest #1 votes and if it happens in a 3 seat constituency it has a big outcome on the general election.

Image if labour supporters voted #2 bnp and the candidate was #3 but the #2 votes went to the bnp member who got the 2nd highest #1 votes then the bnp would most likely get elected. the preferences system is a system that can seriously bite you back frequently
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: BNP gaining a seat in European Parliament.

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:51 am

Elections are so pointless anyway. I can almost completely guarantee Conservatives are going to win the next election? Why? Not because they're good, I actually rather dislike David Cameron. They're going to win because Labour unluckily ended up embroiled in a financial crisis.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest