Spelling and exams

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Spelling and exams

Postby the monk in question » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:57 am

Isn't it a bit pedantic they way your deducted marks if you misspell a word or use improper punctuation in exams?
he not busy being born is busy dying
the monk in question
Super Poster

Re: Spelling and exams

Postby Dan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:56 am

the monk in question wrote:Isn't it a bit pedantic they way your deducted marks if you misspell a word or use improper punctuation in exams?

No. Spelling words wrong seems unprofessional to employers and exams are all about impressing employers. Employers need the best indication of a students skills and if spelling and punctuation is not taken into account then a job based on literacy could be handed to someone who couldn't spell, that SPELLS disaster. ;) sorry I couldn't resist.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby the monk in question » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:15 pm

Dan wrote:
the monk in question wrote:Isn't it a bit pedantic they way your deducted marks if you misspell a word or use improper punctuation in exams?

No. Spelling words wrong seems unprofessional to employers and exams are all about impressing employers

So, would it not be fair to use the dreaded p word to describe such people
the monk in question
Super Poster

Postby HairyLemon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Plonkers?
Imagination is more important than knowledge
HairyLemon
Mega Poster

Postby the monk in question » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:55 pm

HairyLemon wrote:Plonkers?

no, pedants.
the monk in question
Super Poster

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:07 pm

the monk in question wrote:
Dan wrote:

No. Spelling words wrong seems unprofessional to employers and exams are all about impressing employers

So, would it not be fair to use the dreaded p word to describe such people

Not in my opinion no. If you have a deficit in spelling you will lose out but I've seen plenty of people who cannot spell or make a structured sentence get an A in English so it's hardly unfair. If I'm not good at maths and I can't work things out, do you think it's fair that I don't get marks deducted for incorrect answers?
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby kitty123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:29 am

but surely if you are dyslexic they wont worry about spelling on your paper so why does a dyspraxic persons spelling matter :?:
"dyspraxia made me who i am today without it life would be boring (the little lifts you get when you manage to to an simple "everyday task like pouring juice without spills )" [/color]
kitty123
Super Poster

Postby chez123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

Hi
i am new but i dunno if any of you did or still get one on one help in secondary school just wondering because i don't andi get no help with my couse work or school work.
chez123

Postby Dan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:29 pm

kitty123 wrote:but surely if you are dyslexic they wont worry about spelling on your paper so why does a dyspraxic persons spelling matter :?:

A guy I worked with over summer who is probably in his 40's has terrible spelling but he does a great job. I'm not saying people who can't spell shouldn't get jobs but an employer will only ever hire someone they think can do a job. If you fundamentally lack the capacity to do the job properly, no matter the reason, it's unfair to expect them to employ you, although it's unfair the world is like that too.

Of course spelling is rarely the core of a job and there are many jobs around that predominantly require creativity and passion rather than literary mastery. :)
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby award » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 pm

As well as dyspraxia i have dyslexia so i find spelling and writeing very difficult and hate exams does anyone else find this the case?

i always panic when soemeone says the word "exam" or "test"
-------------------------------------
Adam
award
Site Admin

Return to Debate Forum