Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Thought this would mix things up a bit. I don't really favour either side, I find it difficult to say but I do think the laws should be a lot more relaxed.

I'll keep my opinions to a bare minimum but the fact that stares me in the face is that 40% of jailed people in America are jailed for Marijuana posession, that strikes me as absurd. DISCUSS!
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 am

Most drugs should be legalised because its your body and your choice what s**t you put into it and most people know the effects major drugs. The only drugs that should be illegal are crack and possibly meth because they cause aggression.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Brian wrote:Most drugs should be legalised because its your body and your choice what s**t you put into it and most people know the effects major drugs. The only drugs that should be illegal are crack and possibly meth because they cause aggression.


How weird. You deny LGBT people the right to marry but you're for legalizing cocaine? I'm not saying your opinions are not valid, it's just unusual to hear that combination of views from a religious person.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Dan wrote:
Brian wrote:Most drugs should be legalised because its your body and your choice what s**t you put into it and most people know the effects major drugs. The only drugs that should be illegal are crack and possibly meth because they cause aggression.


How weird. You deny LGBT people the right to marry but you're for legalizing cocaine? I'm not saying your opinions are not valid, it's just unusual to hear that combination of views from a religious person.


First off, I'm not a religious person but I go to a pritty Catholic school and I'm proud of my Irish Catholic heritage.

If I go out and partake in underage drinking that is my choice and its a very mild form of self form but I know the risks. All drugs have strong effects of some kind on people who take them but why stop them when they know the effects and risks.

Also drugs would be made safer if they were legalised.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Brian wrote:
Dan wrote:
Brian wrote:Most drugs should be legalised because its your body and your choice what s**t you put into it and most people know the effects major drugs. The only drugs that should be illegal are crack and possibly meth because they cause aggression.


How weird. You deny LGBT people the right to marry but you're for legalizing cocaine? I'm not saying your opinions are not valid, it's just unusual to hear that combination of views from a religious person.


First off, I'm not a religious person but I go to a pritty Catholic school and I'm proud of my Irish Catholic heritage.

If I go out and partake in underage drinking that is my choice and its a very mild form of self form but I know the risks. All drugs have strong effects of some kind on people who take them but why stop them when they know the effects and risks.

Also drugs would be made safer if they were legalised.


I disagree tbh. Marijuana is probably the safest hard drug. There's not been a case of someone ODing on it and dying, it carries the same risks as smoking cigarettes but that's if you do it every day. There are also psychological issues but they have yet to be proven. Legalizing Marijuana I think I am for, but legalizing amphetamines, opiates and psychoactive drugs such as LSD and Salvia I think is a bad idea. (I know Salvia is legal but it won't be for much longer)
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:34 pm

Don't bring LSD and Slavia into the equation, they banned LSD here but it was relvealed a new type of it was made which was pritty much identical to it but under a different name which is legal. Slavia shouldn't be banned because its like a 5th strength marijuana
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Brian wrote:Don't bring LSD and Slavia into the equation, they banned LSD here but it was relvealed a new type of it was made which was pritty much identical to it but under a different name which is legal. Slavia shouldn't be banned because its like a 5th strength marijuana


You're COMPLETELY misinformed. Salvia is INCREDIBLY potent. One hit of Salvia will make you trip immensely, one hit of weak Salvia will give you the same as a night of weed. It's SO powerful. Read up on what you're talking about before you comment about it. Also, LSD is less strong than Salvia soooo.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Creative » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:17 pm

I've never heard of Salvia. Is it like LSD?
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Brian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Slavia and an argument with Dan :lol: :lol: :lol:
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby parnassus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:37 am

Brian, one extra thing to consider is that a lot of people who take drugs are not on them out of free choice. Some people grow up in abusive homes, and for them drug-taking is an escape - an 'escape' that very quickly locks them into poverty. Some people take drugs because of peer pressure and end up hooked because they can't say no. Other people take drugs as a form of release because they have difficult things to cope with - bereavement, job loss, arguments at home, etc. The drugs end up preventing them from dealing with the problems at all.

Most of the substances that you are talking about legalising are seriously addictive. Drug addiction is a mental health problem and it brings a whole raft of other problems with it, such as an increase in the incidence of HIV/AIDS (through needle-sharing), a whole host of physical health concerns (you can die the first time you take Ecstasy), extortion, blackmailing, and prostitution. 90% of prostitutes are on drugs. Many of them become involved in prostitution as a way of feeding their habit, placing themselves under the control of very unscrupulous pimps and often putting themselves in a lot of danger. Also, there is drug-related crime to consider - what happens when somebody on LSD who is hallucinating badly tries to stab his hallucination, and discovers too late that the hallucination was a person? Recklessness, aggression, loss of inhibition - these can all be consequences of drug-taking, and if you legalise drugs you are risking an increase in all this.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
parnassus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5883
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 pm
Location: Over here

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Cynamon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:48 am

parnassus wrote:what happens when somebody on LSD who is hallucinating badly tries to stab his hallucination, and discovers too late that the hallucination was a person?


Not the same thing exactly, but it could have very easily been if someone else had been around.

I know someone that thought there were giant worms and maggots eating him from the inside out while he was on LSD, he has horrific scars all over his arms from trying to cut them out.

If there was someone else there, he once said that it's possible he would have tried to cut them out of that person too.
Cynamon
 

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:25 pm

parnassus wrote:Brian, one extra thing to consider is that a lot of people who take drugs are not on them out of free choice. Some people grow up in abusive homes, and for them drug-taking is an escape - an 'escape' that very quickly locks them into poverty. Some people take drugs because of peer pressure and end up hooked because they can't say no. Other people take drugs as a form of release because they have difficult things to cope with - bereavement, job loss, arguments at home, etc. The drugs end up preventing them from dealing with the problems at all.

Most of the substances that you are talking about legalising are seriously addictive. Drug addiction is a mental health problem and it brings a whole raft of other problems with it, such as an increase in the incidence of HIV/AIDS (through needle-sharing), a whole host of physical health concerns (you can die the first time you take Ecstasy), extortion, blackmailing, and prostitution. 90% of prostitutes are on drugs. Many of them become involved in prostitution as a way of feeding their habit, placing themselves under the control of very unscrupulous pimps and often putting themselves in a lot of danger. Also, there is drug-related crime to consider - what happens when somebody on LSD who is hallucinating badly tries to stab his hallucination, and discovers too late that the hallucination was a person? Recklessness, aggression, loss of inhibition - these can all be consequences of drug-taking, and if you legalise drugs you are risking an increase in all this.


I agree with your first paragraph mostly, but it doesn't really apply to marijuana as it's not a coping mechanism in my opinion. As it's a hallucinogenic problems in your life may become more prominent whilst under the influence of the drug and it can make problems even more difficult to bear.

The second paragraph is rather off-topic, I know you're talking about the drugs Brian suggested legalizing but marijuana cannot be taken using needles so the HIV/AIDS debate is moot. Also, the Ecstasy argument. A controlled dose of just Ecstasy will not kill you. People who have died are people who get so dehydrated after taking Ecstasy that they overload their brain with electrolytes by drinking a lot of water, then they are unable to urinate because of the Ecstasy and their brain swells resulting in their death. I definitley agree regarding LSD. LSD can be an awful drug and I would never consider taking it, though I do find it highly unlikely someone under the influence of LSD would try to stab someone else, LSD does not completely detatch one from reality, it only manipulates reality and as such you still have a basic premise of what is real and what is not. A large dose of LSD could cause what Cynamon discussed but I still find it unlikely it would cause someone to stab someone else, that's the nonsense you hear on antidrugs adverts that also say Cannabis causes brain damage (which many studies have proved conclusively that it does not).

Once again this thread is about the legalization of Marijuana. Marijuana is not physically addictive (unlike Tobacco and Alcohol which are legal) and if you've ever taken it you'd know the after effects of taken it are much less than those of alcohol. The first time I had a lot of drink I felt very very dehydrated in the morning and had a headache (otherwise known as a hangover) yet this effect is not present in the recovery stage of Marijuana use though the recovery stage of Marijuana often slows the mind a little bit.

Have a look at this image of drug harm and drug addiction, look at where Marijuana is on the chart and then consider how on Earth Tobacco and Alcohol are legal yet Marijuana is not.
Image

That chart is very reputable and was produced scientifically, it's not some image drawn by a pro-drug group.

You can probably guess where I stand in this debate and I'd really like to hear everyone's opinion on this, Canada may legalize Marijuana soon, it's already legal in Amsterdam, what will it take for the US to do it and then perhaps the world?
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Cynamon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Dan wrote: but it doesn't really apply to marijuana as it's not a coping mechanism in my opinion.


I don't agree with that. I know plenty of people that do, or have used marijuana to cope with stress etc.

*Anything* can be used as a coping mechanism, as long as it helps the person cope, it can be thought of as a coping mechanism, in my understanding.
Cynamon
 

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Creative » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Lots of people do use marijuana to cope with stress. I don't think it should be made legal unless it it being used as a form of pain relief like for someone who has cancer or something like that.
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:40 pm

Creative wrote:Lots of people do use marijuana to cope with stress. I don't think it should be made legal unless it it being used as a form of pain relief like for someone who has cancer or something like that.


What makes Marijuana worse than Alcohol? Alcohol kills, Marijuana does not. Alcohol has physically addictive affects, Marijuana does not. Alcohol inspires aggressiveness and depression, Marijuana inspires calm and introspection. Justify your argument please.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Next

Return to Debate Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron