Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Actually marijuana can cause aggression in some people. The effects marijuana has on people are highly individual and highly dependent on the individual's brain chemistry before using the drug.
Steph
Forum God !
 
Posts: 7853
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Surrey, south east England

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Cynamon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:16 pm

Dan wrote: Alcohol has physically addictive affects, Marijuana does not.


It's not physically addictive, but it is mentally addictive which can be just as bad.

A couple I knew (they're not together anymore) used to smoke a LOT of hash. They smoked it every night. One day they decided to give up smoking hash.

Within 2 days, both had the shakes, they were moody, agressive, fighting every 5 minutes (violently, the guy threw a tv at the girl, luckily it missed) so they went back to smoking hash, and it went away.

I know a few people that have gone through similar things when trying to give up hash, and other things that are mentally addictive. The mind can to amazing things to your body.
Cynamon
 

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:38 pm

Cynamon wrote:
Dan wrote: Alcohol has physically addictive affects, Marijuana does not.


It's not physically addictive, but it is mentally addictive which can be just as bad.

A couple I knew (they're not together anymore) used to smoke a LOT of hash. They smoked it every night. One day they decided to give up smoking hash.

Within 2 days, both had the shakes, they were moody, agressive, fighting every 5 minutes (violently, the guy threw a tv at the girl, luckily it missed) so they went back to smoking hash, and it went away.

I know a few people that have gone through similar things when trying to give up hash, and other things that are mentally addictive. The mind can to amazing things to your body.


Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. you can't get much worse than that. Obviously it is mentally addictive but so is caffeine and chocolate, you've got to draw the line somewhere between what truly is withdrawal and what is just a need for something. If you had alcohol every day you would get withdrawal just the same, the argument of this thread is basically: "Why is alcohol legal and marijuana is not when alcohol is worse in almost every way"

I know the effects are highly individual but I find it unlikely that it would cause people to be more aggressive than they are sober, it's just not that sort of drug.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Creative » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:50 pm

How would legalising Marijuana make things better for people? How would it help them?
Creative
Forum God !
 
Posts: 5098
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:48 pm
Location: Norfolk, England

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Creative wrote:How would legalising Marijuana make things better for people? How would it help them?


40% of prisoners in the united states are jailed for marijuana related offenses. Doesn't this strike you as a little absurd? Also, it's a taxable product just like tobacco except without a lot of the associated health issues, it would be GOOD for the government.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby parnassus » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Dan wrote:The second paragraph is rather off-topic, I know you're talking about the drugs Brian suggested legalizing but marijuana cannot be taken using needles so the HIV/AIDS debate is moot.


I was startled by Brian's stance, so my post was entirely in response to him rather than to your initial question. To return to the topic, I don't think that my second paragraph was as off-topic as it first appeared - people who begin with soft drugs are statistically much more likely to progress to hard drugs, as the body's tolerance level adjusts itself accordingly if you take a drug on a regular or semi-regular basis. It takes more and more of the substance (or just a stronger substance) to achieve the same effect.

Also, the Ecstasy argument. A controlled dose of just Ecstasy will not kill you. People who have died are people who get so dehydrated after taking Ecstasy that they overload their brain with electrolytes by drinking a lot of water, then they are unable to urinate because of the Ecstasy and their brain swells resulting in their death.


Or perhaps people who have bought Ecstasy of very dubious quality from a street dealer, or people who are taking Ecstasy on top of alchohol or other drugs? This is another problem with the argument of marijuana's legalisation - it is already widely used at parties, where alcohol, cigarettes, and other drugs are already circulating. Nowhere nearly enough research has been done into the health consequences of this mixing. Equally, nowhere nearly enough research has been done into the effects of cannabis usage itself. You say that it has been 'conclusively proven' that cannabis doesn't cause brain damage, but there is no conclusive proof at all - different studies have come up with differing results, and the most plausible explanation for this is that the health effects vary from person to person based on their individual biochemistry and their other drinking/drug-taking habits. Methodological flaws present another problem. A study in which a group of healthy volunteers agree to take cannabis for purposes of research is questionable in its validity, as the population sample isn't representative of marijuana users as a whole.

I definitley agree regarding LSD. LSD can be an awful drug and I would never consider taking it, though I do find it highly unlikely someone under the influence of LSD would try to stab someone else, LSD does not completely detatch one from reality, it only manipulates reality and as such you still have a basic premise of what is real and what is not. A large dose of LSD could cause what Cynamon discussed but I still find it unlikely it would cause someone to stab someone else, that's the nonsense you hear on antidrugs adverts that also say Cannabis causes brain damage (which many studies have proved conclusively that it does not).


Drug-related crime is a very serious problem. Harming someone as a result of a hallucination is very rare, but stabbing someone because they've looked the wrong way at your girlfriend and you're on an aggressive high is not. You say that cannabis causes 'calm and introspection', but this just isn't the case for everybody - some people react by temporarily becoming manic, believing that they can do anything (an idea that can lead to dangerous behaviour) and others will get very aggressive. There is no way to know for sure how an individual will react to a given drug.

Once again this thread is about the legalization of Marijuana. Marijuana is not physically addictive (unlike Tobacco and Alcohol which are legal) and if you've ever taken it you'd know the after effects of taken it are much less than those of alcohol.


Again, it's all about individual differences. I know that Danni never gets hangovers, even though she very rarely drinks at all and should be more sensitive to alcohol in consequence. The Christmas before last she went to a party and got very drunk. The next day she felt absolutely fine. I could never do that. I'm teetotal, but in the past I have had a glass of wine on Christmas Day and felt my balance going funny because of it. Later on I had a splitting headache and couldn't stop drinking water. It's not always possible to judge a drug's potency or long-term health effects on how people feel the next day - you need a longitudinal study that takes physical and psychological health into account, and not enough of these have been conducted.

I'm not defending alcohol or tobacco or claiming that they are somehow better for you than marijuana. I believe in criminalising tobacco. As for alcohol, my nana is an alcoholic, and I know from looking at her just how much damage alcohol can do to a person. I'm very frightened that it will kill her. I think there needs to be a radical cultural shift for the alcohol problem to be solved, though - drinking a lot has become a sign of prestige in a way that drug use hasn't yet, and the prevailing attitudes towards alcohol consumption do need to be shaken.
"This above all, to thine own self be true." - Polonius, Hamlet.
User avatar
parnassus
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5883
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:10 pm
Location: Over here

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 pm

parnassus wrote:
Dan wrote:The second paragraph is rather off-topic, I know you're talking about the drugs Brian suggested legalizing but marijuana cannot be taken using needles so the HIV/AIDS debate is moot.


I was startled by Brian's stance, so my post was entirely in response to him rather than to your initial question. To return to the topic, I don't think that my second paragraph was as off-topic as it first appeared - people who begin with soft drugs are statistically much more likely to progress to hard drugs, as the body's tolerance level adjusts itself accordingly if you take a drug on a regular or semi-regular basis. It takes more and more of the substance (or just a stronger substance) to achieve the same effect.

Also, the Ecstasy argument. A controlled dose of just Ecstasy will not kill you. People who have died are people who get so dehydrated after taking Ecstasy that they overload their brain with electrolytes by drinking a lot of water, then they are unable to urinate because of the Ecstasy and their brain swells resulting in their death.


Or perhaps people who have bought Ecstasy of very dubious quality from a street dealer, or people who are taking Ecstasy on top of alchohol or other drugs? This is another problem with the argument of marijuana's legalisation - it is already widely used at parties, where alcohol, cigarettes, and other drugs are already circulating. Nowhere nearly enough research has been done into the health consequences of this mixing. Equally, nowhere nearly enough research has been done into the effects of cannabis usage itself. You say that it has been 'conclusively proven' that cannabis doesn't cause brain damage, but there is no conclusive proof at all - different studies have come up with differing results, and the most plausible explanation for this is that the health effects vary from person to person based on their individual biochemistry and their other drinking/drug-taking habits. Methodological flaws present another problem. A study in which a group of healthy volunteers agree to take cannabis for purposes of research is questionable in its validity, as the population sample isn't representative of marijuana users as a whole.

I definitley agree regarding LSD. LSD can be an awful drug and I would never consider taking it, though I do find it highly unlikely someone under the influence of LSD would try to stab someone else, LSD does not completely detatch one from reality, it only manipulates reality and as such you still have a basic premise of what is real and what is not. A large dose of LSD could cause what Cynamon discussed but I still find it unlikely it would cause someone to stab someone else, that's the nonsense you hear on antidrugs adverts that also say Cannabis causes brain damage (which many studies have proved conclusively that it does not).


Drug-related crime is a very serious problem. Harming someone as a result of a hallucination is very rare, but stabbing someone because they've looked the wrong way at your girlfriend and you're on an aggressive high is not. You say that cannabis causes 'calm and introspection', but this just isn't the case for everybody - some people react by temporarily becoming manic, believing that they can do anything (an idea that can lead to dangerous behaviour) and others will get very aggressive. There is no way to know for sure how an individual will react to a given drug.

Once again this thread is about the legalization of Marijuana. Marijuana is not physically addictive (unlike Tobacco and Alcohol which are legal) and if you've ever taken it you'd know the after effects of taken it are much less than those of alcohol.


Again, it's all about individual differences. I know that Danni never gets hangovers, even though she very rarely drinks at all and should be more sensitive to alcohol in consequence. The Christmas before last she went to a party and got very drunk. The next day she felt absolutely fine. I could never do that. I'm teetotal, but in the past I have had a glass of wine on Christmas Day and felt my balance going funny because of it. Later on I had a splitting headache and couldn't stop drinking water. It's not always possible to judge a drug's potency or long-term health effects on how people feel the next day - you need a longitudinal study that takes physical and psychological health into account, and not enough of these have been conducted.

I'm not defending alcohol or tobacco or claiming that they are somehow better for you than marijuana. I believe in criminalising tobacco. As for alcohol, my nana is an alcoholic, and I know from looking at her just how much damage alcohol can do to a person. I'm very frightened that it will kill her. I think there needs to be a radical cultural shift for the alcohol problem to be solved, though - drinking a lot has become a sign of prestige in a way that drug use hasn't yet, and the prevailing attitudes towards alcohol consumption do need to be shaken.


I think we're on even terms Vicky, I just had to compensate for the apathy by taking the "other side".

I think cigarettes should be banned. I'd never conisder them, they're bad for you and they offer no benefit whatsoever, that's what I've never understood, Nicotine does not give you euphoria, it just fulfils an addiction, seems like a waste to me. However, prohibition does not work on something so widely used, which is the same way we cannot ban alcohol, it's part of culture and if you take it in moderation it is not as bad for you but still. A glass of wine a day supposably increases your chances of certain cancers by 30%. It's also been said a glass of wine a day DECREASES your chances of heart related diseases by about the same amount. It's all very confusing indeed.

The point of this thread was to debate the fact that a drug that is much less physically harmful and addictive than two widely used (and legal) drugs is illegal and why there is so much stigma around it. Sure, it affects everyone differently but I've seen people under alcohol that are violent and I've never seen people on marijuana that are violent, that's not to say I think it is impossible, but it's unlikely due to the way the drug works.

The Obama administration hinted at decriminilization (which means it is still illegal to sell, but legal to own and use) which I think is good. Stop people profiting from addiction but still allow people to feel safe doing it.

also, I cannot get onto the forum anymore without using a proxy. Anyone else ever had this problem?
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby druchi » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:49 am

People please! You cant stop people smoking or drinking and smoking weed and getting high people will always do it, banning fags is a bad idea because now a days more people are coming forth for help to quit smoking than ever before.

We have been studying this in social issues and English and it has been a most interesting debate eventually I came down on the side of legalisation because you can make something safer if you legalise it right now if I wanted O could have drugs and be high within half an hour and that's a fact everyone knows someone who could get them it making 'tougher laws' isnt going to stop that.

The fact is there is nothing you can really do alot of people wont get help for drugs because its criminalisation of them as a person.

Also It would put the drug barons out of business instantly sure they will find some other place to peddle their wares but Im sure a company would take over and we would have the Caldburys chocolate of Weed eventually.

Last thing I aint ever heard of someone being stoned and disorderly so that pretty much wraps it all up.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member
 
Posts: 897
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Scotland, Helensburgh

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:52 am

One of my friends has had panic attacks and I've witnessed it. Though that's probably because he has way too much and also has a very difficult past.

Druchi, it is a very interesting subject to debate, which is why I bought it up.

Another argument for legalization is that it gets rid of a large proportion of drug growers incomes. If we stop them from making money out of weed (which is one of the most sold recreational drugs), they'll have less money to finance harder drugs.

Also, the reasons the Americans originally presented to the court on why it should be banned were that it "made Mexicans question their master" and other racist remarks. Disturbing.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Page » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:43 pm

I don't use weed personally (it's not for me) but I used to know some people who do.

I think it should be legal because it is far less harmful than tobacco or alcohol, and weed prohibition is just wasting taxpayer money. If anything, tobacco should be outlawed in the US since people die from it all the time and the cigarette companies deliberately add stuff to it to make it even more dangerous and addictive. Nicotine is a deadly poison; I heard a single drop of 100% pure nicotine can be lethal. No one has ever died from using plain weed. (getting tainted weed is always a risk, but people have told me that dealers won't do that if they want people to keep buying from them) Weed is not physically addictive but only mentally addictive. (you can get mentally addicted to just about anything) Overdosing on weed is impossible since you would have to smoke your weight in it in about 20 minutes and you would pass out long before that. People have said you get a reverse tolerance since you actually need less of it after awhile to get the same effect. It's hard to get a DUI on weed because it usually makes people so lazy afterward that they don't want to do anything, much less drive.

Getting rid of prohibition would help get rid of the cartels that are destroying Mexico, as well. Of course, that will never happen since there is way too much financial incentive in keeping weed illegal. all the anti-weed ads are just propaganda, plain and simple. I'd be surprised if the anti-weed people actually believe what they say. However, I doubt anyone in the US really wants cocaine and heroin legal because that DOES ruin lives.
User avatar
Page
Mega Poster
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:54 am
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Fortnox » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:44 am

Dan wrote:I disagree tbh. Marijuana is probably the safest hard drug.


Cannabis is not a "hard drug", it's much safer than Alcohol or Tobacco.

parnassus wrote:Most of the substances that you are talking about legalising are seriously addictive. Drug addiction is a mental health problem and it brings a whole raft of other problems with it, such as an increase in the incidence of HIV/AIDS (through needle-sharing), a whole host of physical health concerns (you can die the first time you take Ecstasy), extortion, blackmailing, and prostitution. 90% of prostitutes are on drugs. Many of them become involved in prostitution as a way of feeding their habit, placing themselves under the control of very unscrupulous pimps and often putting themselves in a lot of danger. Also, there is drug-related crime to consider - what happens when somebody on LSD who is hallucinating badly tries to stab his hallucination, and discovers too late that the hallucination was a person? Recklessness, aggression, loss of inhibition - these can all be consequences of drug-taking, and if you legalise drugs you are risking an increase in all this.


I thought this was a pretty funny post.. It's completely emotional and focuses purely on the negative things that *could maybe happen*, rather than the positive things that are most likely to happen- such as taxing weed, a much stronger economy, no more shady dealers with flip-knives, more vaporization, more drug research etc etc.
Oh, and marijuana is non-habit-forming. So is LSD, when it comes to addiction the only drugs that really suffer from that problem, enough to consider it a mainstream issue, are cocaine and heroin, both of which are dangerous enough that most people wouldn't take them in the first place.

Cynamon wrote:
Dan wrote: Alcohol has physically addictive affects, Marijuana does not.


It's not physically addictive, but it is mentally addictive which can be just as bad.

A couple I knew (they're not together anymore) used to smoke a LOT of hash. They smoked it every night. One day they decided to give up smoking hash.

Within 2 days, both had the shakes, they were moody, agressive, fighting every 5 minutes (violently, the guy threw a tv at the girl, luckily it missed) so they went back to smoking hash, and it went away.

I know a few people that have gone through similar things when trying to give up hash, and other things that are mentally addictive. The mind can to amazing things to your body.


Hash is a cheap, unhealthy dealer-pedalled form of weed usually laced with all sorts of cheap drugs, not weed.

Steph wrote:Actually marijuana can cause aggression in some people. The effects marijuana has on people are highly individual and highly dependent on the individual's brain chemistry before using the drug.


Indeed, it affects everyone differently. But it's a depressant and a relaxant, and that's something that can't be changed no matter how different your brain chemistry is, you just don't fight stoned.

parnassus wrote:Or perhaps people who have bought Ecstasy of very dubious quality from a street dealer, or people who are taking Ecstasy on top of alchohol or other drugs? This is another problem with the argument of marijuana's legalisation - it is already widely used at parties, where alcohol, cigarettes, and other drugs are already circulating. Nowhere nearly enough research has been done into the health consequences of this mixing. Equally, nowhere nearly enough research has been done into the effects of cannabis usage itself. You say that it has been 'conclusively proven' that cannabis doesn't cause brain damage, but there is no conclusive proof at all - different studies have come up with differing results, and the most plausible explanation for this is that the health effects vary from person to person based on their individual biochemistry and their other drinking/drug-taking habits. Methodological flaws present another problem. A study in which a group of healthy volunteers agree to take cannabis for purposes of research is questionable in its validity, as the population sample isn't representative of marijuana users as a whole.


This has to be my favourite paragraph in your broken argument so far. Every point you make is FOR legalisation. If cannabis were legal we could do MORE research on it, if cannabis were legal people would be MORE informed so they would no the dangers of mixing drugs, if Ecstasy were legal you wouldn't HAVE to buy it from dubious street dealers, you'd get it from reputable pharmacies.

Oh, and there's no evidence that weed can cause brain damage, just FYI.
Government experts now admit that pot doesn't kill brain cells.(8) This myth came from a handful of animal experiments in which structural changes (not actual cell death, as is often alleged) were observed in brain cells of animals exposed to high doses of pot. Many critics still cite the notorious monkey studies of Dr. Robert G. Heath, which purported to find brain damage in three monkeys that had been heavily dosed with cannabis.(9) This work was never replicated and has since been discredited by a pair of better controlled, much larger monkey studies, one by Dr. William Slikker of the National Center for Toxicological Research(10) and the other by Charles Rebert and Gordon Pryor of SRI International.(11) Neither found any evidence of physical alteration in the brains of monkeys exposed to daily doses of pot for up to a year. Human studies of heavy users in Jamaica and Costa Rica found no evidence of abnormalities in brain physiology.(12) Even though there is no evidence that pot causes permanent brain damage, users should be aware that persistent deficits in short-term memory have been noted in chronic, heavy marijuana smokers after 6 to 12 weeks of abstinence.(13) It is worth noting that other drugs, including alcohol, are known to cause brain damage.


parnassus wrote:Drug-related crime is a very serious problem. Harming someone as a result of a hallucination is very rare, but stabbing someone because they've looked the wrong way at your girlfriend and you're on an aggressive high is not. You say that cannabis causes 'calm and introspection', but this just isn't the case for everybody - some people react by temporarily becoming manic, believing that they can do anything (an idea that can lead to dangerous behaviour) and others will get very aggressive. There is no way to know for sure how an individual will react to a given drug.


Have you ever been high? Just TRY fighting someone while stoned, you'll see why your argument is pointless.

parnassus wrote:I'm not defending alcohol or tobacco or claiming that they are somehow better for you than marijuana. I believe in criminalising tobacco. As for alcohol, my nana is an alcoholic, and I know from looking at her just how much damage alcohol can do to a person. I'm very frightened that it will kill her. I think there needs to be a radical cultural shift for the alcohol problem to be solved, though - drinking a lot has become a sign of prestige in a way that drug use hasn't yet, and the prevailing attitudes towards alcohol consumption do need to be shaken.


I don't have much problem with your stance toward drugs- but I have a big problem with your politically authoritarian position toward controlling drugs. You can't control the arms trade, and you can't control drugs. The government is not an all-powerful entity that can choose who does what and what goes where. It is an empowered council given rights by you- and if you are the source of the rights, then it can only use what rights you have for you cannot give it rights that you do not have. Correct? Of course, it's simply logical deduction. However, you don't have the right to go into your neighbour's home and force them to stop using drugs, no matter how helpful you think you're being. That is in fact an invasion of their personal Human rights, and that's exactly what drug criminalisation is, too.

A simply analogy: A street of houses has seen a lot of violence, so they band together to hire a security guard to protect them from robberies. They hereby give the security guard the rights that they have, in electing him to execute these rights for him- By using the right to self defence the security guard may physically deter crime, by using the right to freedom of expression the security guard may warn criminals away from this protected area. But if the security guard were to go to a house and say, your children have to be in bed by 8PM because it's a threat to security, where does he get the right to do this? Even if it is out of good intentions, you cannot force your neighbours to do anything they do not want to do, and by supporting criminalisation you have unwittingly supported authoritarianism, fascism and of course, the "big mother" mentality.
Image
User avatar
Fortnox
Forum Master
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:34 pm

For the record I meant "recreational", not "hard".

Continue!
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Steph » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Indeed, it affects everyone differently. But it's a depressant and a relaxant, and that's something that can't be changed no matter how different your brain chemistry is, you just don't fight stoned.


Alcohol is also a depressant-it doesn't stop people from fighting under its influence. Also, your statement about it being a depressant highlights another of its problems. When used daily, it makes people very lethargic and demotivated-this is my experience from knowing many cannabis users. I didn't mean to imply that aggression is a common side effect of cannabis use but, from people I know, it certainly can happen. Of course it can depend on what other drugs (both legal and illegal) a person has in their system at the time of consuming marijuana but that's another thing to point out-I have only rarely heard of people using solely marijuana-from what I've observed, it is usually taken with either other drugs or alcohol which can make aggression an all too common effect.
Steph
Forum God !
 
Posts: 7853
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:16 am
Location: Surrey, south east England

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:22 pm

Steph wrote:
Indeed, it affects everyone differently. But it's a depressant and a relaxant, and that's something that can't be changed no matter how different your brain chemistry is, you just don't fight stoned.


Alcohol is also a depressant-it doesn't stop people from fighting under its influence. Also, your statement about it being a depressant highlights another of its problems. When used daily, it makes people very lethargic and demotivated-this is my experience from knowing many cannabis users. I didn't mean to imply that aggression is a common side effect of cannabis use but, from people I know, it certainly can happen. Of course it can depend on what other drugs (both legal and illegal) a person has in their system at the time of consuming marijuana but that's another thing to point out-I have only rarely heard of people using solely marijuana-from what I've observed, it is usually taken with either other drugs or alcohol which can make aggression an all too common effect.


Most people I know do it only on its own. Occasionally one may take it with alcohol but going from cannabis to say...ectasy is not that common but yes, obviously that would produce different effects.
Image
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:48 pm
Location: UK, England, Watford

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Fortnox » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:38 am

Steph wrote:
Indeed, it affects everyone differently. But it's a depressant and a relaxant, and that's something that can't be changed no matter how different your brain chemistry is, you just don't fight stoned.


Alcohol is also a depressant-it doesn't stop people from fighting under its influence. Also, your statement about it being a depressant highlights another of its problems. When used daily, it makes people very lethargic and demotivated-this is my experience from knowing many cannabis users. I didn't mean to imply that aggression is a common side effect of cannabis use but, from people I know, it certainly can happen. Of course it can depend on what other drugs (both legal and illegal) a person has in their system at the time of consuming marijuana but that's another thing to point out-I have only rarely heard of people using solely marijuana-from what I've observed, it is usually taken with either other drugs or alcohol which can make aggression an all too common effect.


Weed+Alcohol is usually a bad idea, although weed+hangover is super good. Weed is usually taken with strong psychedelics like LSD because it tends to make the come down more relaxed or make the Plateau (highest/most influenced point) last longer. Other than that, weed is a bad combination for most drugs, like cocaine or MDMA, ecstasy, as they make you more energetic, mixing a depressant with those it's most likely just going to be overpowered.

Personally most potheads I know only smoke weed, don't even drink. However, it is true excessive intoxication tends to make people more lazy, more laid-back. I definitely think the "don't take life seriously" attitude of weed is a positive effect, but when over-use turns into apathy and laziness that's not good. However, that's just a minor negative, just as legal drugs have many minor negatives.. It's certainly not a good reason to criminalise weed.
Image
User avatar
Fortnox
Forum Master
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron