Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: Marijuana decriminilisation/legalisation

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:25 am

Medicinal marijuana should definitely be legalised. Whilst it can have very dangerous side-effects, so can legal drugs which are used medicinally. People should be given accurate information on the risks and then prescribed marijuana if they and their doctors agree the risk is worth it. Many people in severe pain find that marijuana is the only effective treatment. There is a risk of psychosis and psychosis is an extremely frightening experience to put it mildly. However, if people decide that possibly becoming psychotic is better than definitely being in untreatable severe pain for the rest of their lives then nobody has the moral right to put them in prison for wanting the pain to stop.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:Medicinal marijuana should definitely be legalised. Whilst it can have very dangerous side-effects, so can legal drugs which are used medicinally. People should be given accurate information on the risks and then prescribed marijuana if they and their doctors agree the risk is worth it. Many people in severe pain find that marijuana is the only effective treatment. There is a risk of psychosis and psychosis is an extremely frightening experience to put it mildly. However, if people decide that possibly becoming psychotic is better than definitely being in untreatable severe pain for the rest of their lives then nobody has the moral right to put them in prison for wanting the pain to stop.

I would hardly say it can have "very dangerous side-effects". The risks of psychosis are present for everyone. I do believe that marijuana has the potential to increase the risk though it's not proven that this is the THC or if it is the mindset of those who may use weed. The negative side effects of marijuana are generally considered to be paranoia and panic attacks. Panic attacks are obviously not nice but they're not life threatening. It's not possible to OD on weed so death is not possible caused purely by THC. I would say drugs that have very dangerous side effects are cocaine and opiates.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Steph » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:46 pm

I know it's going back a bit but I'm just replying to Fortnox who said that marijuana is non habit forming. This may be true for certain people but I know people who quickly became mentally addicted to weed. My cousin is one of them. He started off smoking weed when he was in his mid teens with his school friends. He quickly began smoking far more than any of them and began staying in bed all day and only getting up at midnight. He would then stay up until 8 am and then go to sleep again as his sleeping patterns were completely screwed up. I was staying at my aunties house when he was heavily addicted to weed and he was arguing with her because she refused to give him £20 to buy some weed. He ended up getting really angry, storming off and crying. Admittedly he may be an isolated case because he also has mental health problems (bipolar disorder to be precise) but a similar thing happened to my friend from college and he doesn't have any mental health problems. Some people are just extremely vulnerable to addiction.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:03 pm

I would hardly say it can have "very dangerous side-effects". The risks of psychosis are present for everyone.

Anyone can get lung cancer, even if they've never smoked. Not all people who get lung cancer are smokers or ex-smokers. Not all smokers and ex-smokers get lung cancer. That doesn't mean that cigarettes are safe.

Anyone can become psychotic, even if they've never used cannabis. Not all people with psychosis are cannibis users or ex-users. Not all users or ex-users of cannabis get psychosis. That doesn't mean that cannabis is safe.

Panic attacks are obviously not nice but they're not life threatening.

People can and do attempt suicide - sometimes successfully - because of panic attacks.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:
I would hardly say it can have "very dangerous side-effects". The risks of psychosis are present for everyone.

Anyone can get lung cancer, even if they've never smoked. Not all people who get lung cancer are smokers or ex-smokers. Not all smokers and ex-smokers get lung cancer. That doesn't mean that cigarettes are safe.

Anyone can become psychotic, even if they've never used cannabis. Not all people with psychosis are cannibis users or ex-users. Not all users or ex-users of cannabis get psychosis. That doesn't mean that cannabis is safe.

Panic attacks are obviously not nice but they're not life threatening.

People can and do attempt suicide - sometimes successfully - because of panic attacks.

I think it's unfair to compare tobacco risks and THC risks. 9/10 lung cancer cases are caused by smoking. The figure for psychotic disorders potentially caused by THC are much less damning. I've heard the figure 1 in 5,000 quoted before which seems high but as even minor depression can be called a mental illness, it's hard to judge what's dangerous and what is not. Smoking kills 1.1% of its users every year. THC has had no direct deaths and I don't believe there have been many indirectly related deaths. Alcohol killed a student at the UCL last week. It puts things into perspective.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Thirteen-thirty-seven wrote:

Not all people that cross the street make it to the other side. Not all people in car accidents are crossing roads.

There is danger in every step of life. If you simply want to remove all danger from life and live in a totally safe environment, you may as well enter the padded room.

Steph wrote:I know it's going back a bit but I'm just replying to Fortnox who said that marijuana is non habit forming. This may be true for certain people but I know people who quickly became mentally addicted to weed. My cousin is one of them. He started off smoking weed when he was in his mid teens with his school friends. He quickly began smoking far more than any of them and began staying in bed all day and only getting up at midnight. He would then stay up until 8 am and then go to sleep again as his sleeping patterns were completely screwed up. I was staying at my aunties house when he was heavily addicted to weed and he was arguing with her because she refused to give him £20 to buy some weed. He ended up getting really angry, storming off and crying. Admittedly he may be an isolated case because he also has mental health problems (bipolar disorder to be precise) but a similar thing happened to my friend from college and he doesn't have any mental health problems. Some people are just extremely vulnerable to addiction.

Your friend is very unlucky. There was a teacher at my school addicted to caffeine. It is statistically improbable that you won't meet people in your life that this has happened to. That doesn't make caffeine wrong.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:00 pm

I think Im addicted to milk... If I dont have any for a few hours I really start cracking up and fidgeting and biteing peoples heads off xD
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Previous

Return to Debate Forum