How come i'm so rubish at sports?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

How come i'm so rubish at sports?

Postby KILBAHA » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:39 am

At my school sport is the only thing boys like me care about. It puts people in the popular gang while people like me are left behind in the unpopular group. Even when I sit down with a group of my friends at lunch time I can here people say
"Oh no" and leave. Am I alone?
KILBAHA

Re: How come i'm so rubish at sports?

Postby Thirteen-thirty-seven » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 pm

*hugs*

Dyspraxia impairs depth perception, so it is hard to tell how far away a ball is or how fast it is moving.

Dyspraxia impairs gross motor skills and balace.

There must be other pople at your school who don;t like sport who you could be friends with.
Thirteen-thirty-seven
Forum God !

Postby Elyssaen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:36 pm

KILBAHA wrote:At my school sport is the only thing boys like me care about. It puts people in the popular gang while people like me are left behind in the unpopular group. Even when I sit down with a group of my friends at lunch time I can here people say
"Oh no" and leave. Am I alone?

Hiya'. What year are you in? Year 9 is probably the worst year for that sentiment, but it does get better. At sixth form you'll probably find more people like you who aren't good at sport, and even more if you go to university.

There are a lot of people who aren't good at, or don't like, sport. You're certainly not alone, though I won't make light of the problem as it is for you right now – I remember it too well for that!
Elyssaen

Postby mysticalwater » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:32 pm

I hate sports. I think that the popular people are also sporty because they are always the most competitive. If those people are moving away from you they are probably horible so you wouldn't like sitting with them. At least there are the nice ones left. Me and my friends are "unpopular" but I wouldn't choose to be popular because I prefere my friends who are nice to pretty,thin people who talk about you behind your back even if you are friends.
mysticalwater
Super Poster

Postby Brian » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Ok, I'm probably the only one on DT the partakes regularly in sports. The thing is dyspraxia and sports don't really mix because of the co-ordination difficulties and you will have to work hard at getting up to the level of other people in sports that require alot of hand eye co-ordination. when i started playing hurling { http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling } it took me along time to be able to hit the ball out of my hand but things like soccer and gaelic football, i was able to do alot easier because I started playing gaelic football when I was five, which in a sense helped me because it came natural to me at the age of seven.

My advice to you would be try out a wide range of sports because there are some you will be very good at and there will be some that you will be rubbish at and finally if you have the right attitude and don't use dyspraxia as an excuse you will be fine.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Fortnox » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Here's a crazy, wild idea! Stop hanging around with such wankers.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Creative » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:43 pm

Fortnox wrote:Here's a crazy, wild idea! Stop hanging around with such wankers.

That's not a helpful comment to make.
Creative
Forum God !

Postby druchi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Way to make someone feel better FortKnox or is it just your feeling so emo you must take out the blackness of your own soul onto others? ;)

Hey there, I was horribly at sports in high school don't worry its a pretty common problem especially for us dyspraxics! Our lack of depth perception and other necessary things makes sports pretty tough on us.

Sadly the only constructive thing I can think of to say is what else interests you? You may find others with the same interest other than sports believe me there are whole crowds of people who despise PE, even boys. Still the best thing you can do is accept you(we) are going to suck at sports and find it much harder than most just be honest about it and eventually people will realise it doesnt matter.
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Brian » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:39 pm

Answer the question not give a stupid opinion about who he shouldn't hang out with.
Talking is a sign of strength and not weakness

Help is always available and can be found here: http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8414
Brian
Splendiferous Member

Postby Fortnox » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:40 am

Brian wrote:

Answer the question not give a stupid opinion about who he shouldn't hang out with.

See:
KILBAHA wrote:Even when I sit down with a group of my friends at lunch time I can here people say
"Oh no" and leave.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Remus » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:40 am

Creative wrote:

That's not a helpful comment to make.

I agree, comments like that don't help at all and make the person just feel worse. You might want to refrain from the swearing as well especially on a board what is viewable to guests.

You certainly ain't alone. Whilst my co-ordernation has got a lot better over the years, I still can't play sports and probably never will be able to. I totally applaud those dyspraxics who are interested in sports and do play, I don't know how they do it but for me, my world and the sports world just are so far apart.

If you want to try a sport though, I would recommmend badminton. It's the only sport I was measly good at and I had some fun playing it.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Syrons » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:00 am

I cycle everywhere, and do clock up over 150miles most weeks, on both of my bikes and I cycle on the road like you are meant too, not on the pavement!!! I couldn't ride a bike to I was 18, and i use to think cycling 2miles was far back then... I told myself I learn by getting up early as it was the summer, so it was 5am and i be out, making loads of mistakes understanding how to control a bike, everything i wasn't use too, which now is just like second nature... Now I have to cycle for work at least 16miles there and back... As I live in a Village, it not really like a village to me know, as it's quite big too me, and there's loads of buses, unlike most villages, where it is in completely nowhere... I do have a free bus pass, yet I hate using it, I rather get wet than step on one of them if I have too and plus I really enjoy it... In the mornings I sometimes do a 50 mile loop on my own... Colchester, Stanway, Copford, Marks Tey , Great Tey, Mount Bures “it’s not a mountain, I don’t know why it got that name, it just hillier than most of North Essex probably why”, Stoke By Nayland, Higham “in Suffolk”, Dedham, Little Bromley Great Bromley, Colchester, and my place... My highest I done so far in miles is 82miles, next year I will easily break over 100, as I will doing the Dunwich Dynamo next year http://www.southwarkcyclists.org.uk/dunwichfaqs.htm which is cycling about 7hours from Hackney to Dunwich for around 7hours hopefully...

I really do recommend exercise as I use to have a low self esteem, cycling lets out all my days problem and anger into the pedals, i just love coming into work or back to home, in a really good mood afterward, you feel really good about yourself... At first I admit, I use to after a cycle ride go straight on my bed and sleep it off, as i was so tired and my legs use to hurt at first, probably from doing absolutely nothing with them!!! Anyway it raised my confidence step by step and gave me some independence, as i use to rely on my mate on picking me up when seeing him, now i cycle to his which is 11miles away from where i am living!!!

I did use to play football a lot and cricket, hopeless at both of them, cycling i believe I am quite good at. I kind of ok at Marathon running, I never really know how good, as i use to survive on 2or3sleep most school nights... Yet I don't like running, as i run like a horse!!! :)
Syrons
Mega Poster

Postby DyspraxicTechie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:23 am

As much as I agree with that comment thats just my personal opinion

I used to have an excuse for every PE lesson I hated it Music was my thing I found out at the age of 11 that P.A was my bag unfortunately this lead to a very expensive hobby !! but I have made money from it !! my suggestion is to find something that you are good at, Just be careful you dont pick something expensive like me I later got into kayaking and taught the scouts,

you will also find while you are RUBBISH at sports you will excel in something else I am a self taught Sound Technician and a qualified Chef so I find thats Phil 2 -Dyspraxia 0
I enjoy having Dyspraxia Dyslexia and Adhd, I say enjoy having them because if I say I suffer with them they are beating me
DyspraxicTechie

Postby Priyaluvv8 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:29 pm

easy question! :D
you are so rubbish at sports because your dyspraxic and dyspraxics like us find PE a challenge. People continuously bully me saying that i suck and i'm always the last on the team and that feels awful i know you aren't the only one finding PE a nightmare
you're not alone
Priyaluvv8
Super Poster

Postby Rodge1991 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 pm

The fact my PE was so bad the school nurse at primary school picked it up and said for me to diagnosed. That pretty much explains PE and Dyspraxia.
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog:http://www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
ImageImage
NUMQUAM DEFICERE ~ Never Give Up
Rodge1991
Mega Poster

Next

Return to Debate Forum