How come i'm so rubish at sports?

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Re: How come i'm so rubish at sports?

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 am

Sports is a pain for dyspraxics, due to, as someone has already said, our depth perception difficulties and poor coordination. At my school, we have the exact same thing with the popular boys only caring about sports.
Back in year 8, I was allowed to drop out from PE when I finally got fed up with my teacher singling me out for being incompetent. Is there anything you can do instead of PE?
Are you allowed to go use an ICT suite and catch up on class work or something like that?
It's worth getting your parents to speak to the school about your difficulties! 8)
- If ever you feel hella sad, just remember that you're hella rad -
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby BethanyGillam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Sport is easy for me. You cant blame dyspraxia its down to you wether or not you're good at sport if u put the time in u will be. If not it doesnt matter to you so why care that you're rubbish at it. Either practice or dont complain.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Steph » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm

BethanyGillam wrote:Sport is easy for me. You cant blame dyspraxia its down to you wether or not you're good at sport if u put the time in u will be. If not it doesnt matter to you so why care that you're rubbish at it. Either practice or dont complain.

With all due respect, Bethany, I have a feeling you are pretty rare among dyspraxics being good at sport and finding it easy. Usually having a coordination disorder means anything involving hand to eye coordination and spatial awareness is difficult and PE demands a high level of both of these things. I could practice for 24 hours a day and still suck at pretty much every sport as it's just not part of my makeup. It took me 4 years of daily practice to be able to tie my shoelaces and 5 years of practice to ride a bike and my dyspraxia is not even classed as severe. I longed to be good at PE as, in secondary school, so much seems to depend on being good at PE and, in my school, all the sporty people were the popular ones. I didn't want to be so bad at anything involving coordination as it made me a target for bullying. If the majority of people with dyspraxia could genuinely become good at sports by practicing, we would have tried it by now but difficulty with ball games is one of the symptoms listed in leaflets for primary school teachers to watch out for in students. I don't think you can assume that, just because sports come easily to you, that every person with dyspraxia is the same.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Remus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:20 am

I agree with Steph. It's not so much of a case of blaming dyspraxia but you have to take it under consideration, you can't just brush it to one side and pretend it doesn't exist. For the majority of us dyspraxics, the condition makes things such as sport a nightmare and remember, dyspraxia is unique to the person. Whilst we all share common symptoms, some of us have different ones which makes us better or worse at things. Just because you find something easy, it doesn't mean everyone is and vice versa. For example, I may excel in something which you are really bad in or Steph may be good at something which I'm not. I know a lot of dyspraxics have trouble with jigsaw puzzles where personally I've always been good at them. Does that mean I think I am better than them or they have put in less effort? No, of course not, we all excel at different things, dyspraxic or not.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 am

BethanyGillam wrote: You cant blame dyspraxia its down to you wether or not you're good at sport if u put the time in u will be. If not it doesnt matter to you so why care that you're rubbish at it. Either practice or dont complain.

That's such a pathetic thing to say, I can't explain it, but reading that has really ticked me off.
Of course it's not down to you whether or not you're good at sports, I wish I could be good at sports, I try really hard, but I can't do anything right! I don't think you see that dyspraxia is a main cause of being bad at sports, because of the poor spacial awareness and coordination it gives you!
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby wadey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 am

Bethany I agree with what others have said, you may find sports easy but the majority of dyspraxic people won't. it doesn't mean that we don't try, in fact I think most of us put lots of effort in. Every person is different and that what makes us unique. I might find something easy that you dont, that doesnt mean that I think you have put less effort in or dont try.
wadey
Site Admin

Postby nathanw-j » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 am

Luna_is_so_cool_like wrote:
BethanyGillam wrote: You cant blame dyspraxia its down to you wether or not you're good at sport if u put the time in u will be. If not it doesnt matter to you so why care that you're rubbish at it. Either practice or dont complain.

That's such a pathetic thing to say, I can't explain it, but reading that has really ticked me off.
Of course it's not down to you whether or not you're good at sports, I wish I could be good at sports, I try really hard, but I can't do anything right! I don't think you see that dyspraxia is a main cause of being bad at sports, because of the poor spacial awareness and coordination it gives you!

that is right, it is an extremely pathetic thing to say
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
nathanw-j
Splendiferous Member

Postby Luna_is_so_cool_like » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 pm

nathanw-j wrote:
Luna_is_so_cool_like wrote:

that is right, it is an extremely pathetic thing to say

Thank you.
Luna_is_so_cool_like
Splendiferous Member

Postby BethanyGillam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:29 pm

You all missunderstand me. I havent always found sport easy, but it was important to me to be able to play sport. So i practiced now it is easy for me. A in pe G.C.S.E, taking a gap year to see how far i can get on the professional doubles tour in a couple of years. It is because i decided to try hard and not blame it on my dyspraxia. If that annoys you then its not my problem thats what happend to me and that is my opinion. Sorry i dont fit the stereotype of a dyspraxic deciding to bunk off pe and not enjoy sports.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:33 pm

By the way first time i picked up a racket i could barely hold it. So it isnt like i didnt need to struggle. I was just determined that my condition wouldn't stop me. So my advice is beat it because there is absolutly nothing like sport out there. You're missing out. And yes i still have coordination problems. I am extreemly clumsy.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:43 pm

With all due respect, Bethany, I have a feeling you are pretty rare among dyspraxics being good at sport and finding it easy. Usually having a coordination disorder means anything involving hand to eye coordination and spatial awareness is difficult and PE demands a high level of both of these things. I could practice for 24 hours a day and still suck at pretty much every sport as it's just not part of my makeup. It took me 4 years of daily practice to be able to tie my shoelaces and 5 years of practice to ride a bike and my dyspraxia is not even classed as severe. I longed to be good at PE as, in secondary school, so much seems to depend on being good at PE and, in my school, all the sporty people were the popular ones. I didn't want to be so bad at anything involving coordination as it made me a target for bullying. If the majority of people with dyspraxia could genuinely become good at sports by practicing, we would have tried it by now but difficulty with ball games is one of the symptoms listed in leaflets for primary school teachers to watch out for in students. I don't think you can assume that, just because sports come easily to you, that every person with dyspraxia is the same.

[/quote]

I struggled with my laces. I am sorry you haven't been able to improve in sports. I believe you tried hard and i am not saying i practiced harder than you. I am not saying i tried harder. I am just saying if i practiced and didnt get anywhere i would always try. I hope you will pick up sport again because it isn't like anytjing else in life. Good luck anyway.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:50 pm

gree with Steph. It's not so much of a case of blaming dyspraxia but you have to take it under consideration, you can't just brush it to one side and pretend it doesn't exist. For the majority of us dyspraxics, the condition makes things such as sport a nightmare and remember, dyspraxia is unique to the person. Whilst we all share common symptoms, some of us have different ones which makes us better or worse at things. Just because you find something easy, it doesn't mean everyone is and vice versa. For example, I may excel in something which you are really bad in or Steph may be good at something which I'm not. I know a lot of dyspraxics have trouble with jigsaw puzzles where personally I've always been good at them. Does that mean I think I am better than them or they have put in less effort? No, of course not, we all excel at different things, dyspraxic or not.

I am on this forum to help and be helped. I dont think i am better than anyone. When i realised i would dedicste my life to tennis i was 7. And at the same time i realised i will dedicate my life to getting people with any physical disability into sport. I believe i am lucky that i had patient coaches and a sporting family. I agree we are all different but everyone is a person. Therefore, the basics apply practice makes perfect. We can do anything. I cried during the parilympics because i realised that they didnt let there disability stop them for one second. So dyspracic disabled or not try try try even if you fail fail fail. I am glad you enjoy jigsaws. Good luck.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby BethanyGillam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Wadey. I am sure you're better than me at many things. I know that if i tried tried and kept on i could do it. My mum always said to me you have to try twice as hard at sport to be on a par with everyone else. But does that mean you shouldnt try. I just want everyone to know that sport is for everyone even dyspraxics.
BethanyGillam
Super Poster

Postby Remus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 am

I know sometimes on here comments can rub people up the wrong way but can we please refrain from calling people's opinions pathetic.

Bethany, my intention is not to upset you and I'm sorry if I have but you have understand, comments like that do come across as a tad insensitive. It would be like me going into a similar forum for dyslexics and saying I'm fantastic at maths and they should practice more.

It's clear to see that you are passionate about sport and you enjoyed but as for myself and I would imagine for quite a few of us, things such as sport and physical education hold quite a few bad memories. In a perfect world, practice would make perfect and we would be fantastic at everything but we don't live in such a world. I like watching sports but as for doing them, personally I would rather invest my time and effort into things I am actually good at and enjoy than spend time being humiliated and feeling rubbish, playing some sport.

It's admirable you want to help the physically disabled getting into sport, that's really great but not everyone wants to do sports. I can understand it's important to have "I can do" attitude but it's vital to know when it's time to give in the towel and just say "I'm not good at this." We can do anything? No, actually we can't but that's okay, there is nothing wrong with having limitations.
Remus
Site Admin

Postby wadey » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 am

Bethany I'm sorry if I have upset, I didn't mean to and I sure others didn't mean to either. It really good that you want to help those with disabilities with sports but I hope you understand that sports is not for everyone, not because of their disability but because their don't like sports. Like Remus said it good to have a 'can do' attitude but it also important to know that we not good at everything no matter how we try, if we all could be good at everything then we wouldn't be unique.
wadey
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Debate Forum