Nick Griffin on Question Time

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Nick Griffin on Question Time

Postby Steph » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 am

Who else watched last week's episode of Question Time where Nick Griffin was a panellist? I watched it last night on IPlayer and I thought it was really interesting. I learned a lot about the ethnic makeup of people living in Britain. I was surprised to hear that 1 in 6 African Caribbean children who were born in the UK have one white parent as I would never have thought that figure was so high! Some of it made for uncomfortable viewing but, overall, I thought it was a good episode. The big question being debated in the news of course is were the BBC wrong for allowing Nick Griffin onto Question Time? Personally, although I am strongly anti BNP and everything they stand for, I think not allowing him to appear on Question Time would have been worse as, even if his views are vicious, he still has the right to express them as part of democracy. What do others think?
Steph
Forum God !

Re: Nick Griffin on Question Time

Postby madame_tigre » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 pm

I despise the BNP but believe in democracy so I think he should have the right to appear on Question Time and I'm glad he did because he made a complete idiot of himself and denied everything he ever said and often contradicted himself. I thought he was a coward as he couldn't even be honest because at one point he said that he wanted Britain to have a 99% white and christian population but when an audience member of an ethnic minority expressed that he loved Britain and asked where he wassupposed to go, Griffin replied with 'oh you can stay'. I think that if the show has turned just 1 person against BNP it will have done a good job.
madame_tigre
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Nick Griffin on Question Time

Postby Dan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:56 pm

I loved it, it was very interesting. I found it irritating how all the panelists were just exploiting the BNPs attendance for their own goals but it was still nice to see the BNP get what they deserve. There are a few things where Nick Griffin was at least partially correct. Winston Churchill WAS very likely Fascist and there are many quotes and events to support this. England was very isolated within Europe during the 20's and 30's and as Germany, Hungary, Romania and Italy began to form a coalition, we rightly began to worry. It's possible we could have turned Fascist if it were not for World War 2.

I think BBC were right to allow them in as the core of Fascism (what the BNP is) is propaganda and censorship. If we censored a legal political party then we're hypocrites.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Return to Debate Forum