Obama lifting ban on US entry with HIV

Feel free to debate any issues you wish here. Warning: The topics discussed and their content may on occassion offend some.

Obama lifting ban on US entry with HIV

Postby Dan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Hello all,

What's your opinion on this? On the one hand it feels more fair, but on the other, it has the potential to increase HIV infections.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Re: Obama lifting ban on US entry with HIV

Postby Fortnox » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:44 pm

It's not really a big deal, just Obama dicking around.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Steph » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:29 pm

I think it's been a long time coming. To ban someone from entering a country because of a medical condition is just really archaic and harsh. I know there are arguments that some people deliberately infect others but the majority of people with HIV are just trying to live their lives and they don't need things to be made so hard for them.
Steph
Forum God !

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:34 pm

Fortnox wrote:It's not really a big deal, just Obama dicking around.

I think it is a big deal. I'm glad it's been changed though. Also, do you have an issue with Obama?
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:20 pm

Dan wrote:
Fortnox wrote:It's not really a big deal, just Obama dicking around.

I think it is a big deal. I'm glad it's been changed though. Also, do you have an issue with Obama?

Politically he's just another President, there's nothing special about him. Another Nixon, another Bush, another face to the same people. Personally however, I have something against him, as his marketing campaign has claimed many victims. A friend of mine used to be quite politically active and intelligent but because of Obama's "HOPE HOPE HOPE CHANGE VAGUE PROMISES HOPE HOPE" stupid, over simplified and unclear marketing campaign (The same thing every President does really, but he did it particularly well) she was.. Dumbed down. She stopped paying attention to the news unless it involved Obama, fell in love with him, thought he was going to fix everything and nothing would ever go wrong again. He's a goddamn infection in the minds of the free thinking. He's done more to damage the young, politically active (mostly leftist) community than even Bill Clinton ever did. Just when you think people are close to waking up.. You wake up and realise Mister President and his friends down at the Golf course are just as much in control as they ever were.

So, I suppose I have as much a grudge against Obama as any hippies from the 60s had against Nixon.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:45 pm

Some people will never be satisfied. Obama has taken important first steps to changing America for the better, as I studied politics for a while I find him very interesting he was thunder from a clear sky no one could have predicted it, closing guantanamo (sp?) and although he hasent been so active in the gay rights department yet, I foresee it happening after all he is probably having a very tough time with all that is going on in the US the Republicans trying to block healthcare reform etc...

"And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin"

Times they are a changing. ;)
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:32 pm

His marketing campaign may have been a little over the top and I wouldn't say he's the best president ever but comparing him to Nixon and Bush is hardly fair, they're some of the worst presidents in history.

Obama has done some pretty good things and as presidents go, he's better than most.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 pm

druchi wrote:Some people will never be satisfied. Obama has taken important first steps to changing America for the better, as I studied politics for a while I find him very interesting he was thunder from a clear sky no one could have predicted it, closing guantanamo (sp?) and although he hasent been so active in the gay rights department yet, I foresee it happening after all he is probably having a very tough time with all that is going on in the US the Republicans trying to block healthcare reform etc...

"And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin"

Times they are a changing. ;)

Somewhere in the world, a terrible, cold shiver runs down Bob Dylan's spine. Perhaps you should've studied politics regularly instead of "for a while" and you'd realise he hasn't closed Guantanamo and anyone could've known he wasn't going to, that it isn't possible to do so, he is also quite anti gay marriage so I doubt he's going to do anything for gay rights.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby druchi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Right had enough of your snide comments and bull yeah he hasent closed but hes going to isnt that a good point? anti gay? Sorry but thats ridiculous especially since part of his campaign was for equal rights so in other words

Have a hot steamy cup of shut the frown up. :mrgreen:
I must find a truth that is true for me . . . the idea for which I can live or die.
druchi
Splendiferous Member

Postby Fortnox » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:37 pm

druchi wrote:Right had enough of your snide comments and bull yeah he hasent closed but hes going to isnt that a good point? anti gay? Sorry but thats ridiculous especially since part of his campaign was for equal rights so in other words

Have a hot steamy cup of shut the frown up. :mrgreen:

No, none of your argument has any content. Obama's campaign is hardly for equal rights Obama's campaign was for "Hope" and vague commitment to some unexplained ideal of happiness, in other words just bullshit to make him look good to the masses. He's indeed supported non-discrimination bills for homosexuals in the past, but that doesn't mean he supports gay rights;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... woman.html

Apparently equal rights isn't worth tradition and religious values. More importantly than that, no, he ISN'T going to and close Gitmo bay! EVERYONE knows this, it is widely accepted knowledge feel free to educate yourself on this matter and I'm sure our collective intelligence will thank you for it later. Obama did indeed sign an executive order to close Gitmo bay but was initially put back by months because no-one had actually done any work toward it yet and when there finally was enough work to put forward the order it was rejected by Congress. So no, Gitmo won't be closing for a long time. The only thing Obama has done to Gitmo is move a handful of Prisoners to other secretive, off-shore prisons very similar to Gitmo but less popular.

Also, Obama has executed missile strikes on Pakistan, massively increased the Military Defence fund (Which even before then accounted for over 45% of the ENTIRE world's military spending) and plans to double the troop count in Afghanistan. Same bullshit, different party.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:58 pm

I probably don't know enough to comment about most of that stuff however increasing the amount of troops in Afghanistan will probably do more good than you think.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:11 pm

We have experienced the sorrow and pain of nuclear attacks. We have seen the effect of America and Russia's proxy wars time and time again- they always serve to leave a country not only poor but full of hate and spite that will create a new generation of warfare in the future. After all the pain the world has known do we still wish to send weapons into innocent people's homes, what will change if we do so? If we kill more people and children who were just born in unfortunate circumstance? Is this "justice"? How can it be when we put them in this situation in the first place? Do we still not realise what these attacks on each other are giving birth to? Do you want even more sacrifices?

No, taking up arms only ever creates more problems.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Although the reasons for sending troops originally were invalid, leaving now would leave the country in complete disarray.
Dan
The Cat's Pajamas !!

Postby Fortnox » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Dan wrote:Although the reasons for sending troops originally were invalid, leaving now would leave the country in complete disarray.

Agreed. We should assist the people of Afghanistan in setting up a people's government that represents the people, and fund them with reparations for the damage we've caused. Of course, this would be easier if Afghanistan had more men of law and academics, which is how the American Revolution happened. 10 years ago we could have answered Afghanistan, even 5 years ago we might still have had an answer, but today we have caused so much pain and trouble that we can only wait for the time bomb we have set to explode in our faces. While we are fantasising about a caring, competent government that could fix this problem, perhaps it would be more fitting to fantasise about a caring, competent government that would never have caused it in the first place.
Fortnox
Forum Master

Return to Debate Forum